IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New secret hotel site launches in UK
Views: 19,310
Old 31-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
MSE Jenny
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is specifically to feedback tips/successes on

Hotwire secret hotels

Click reply to discuss

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 19-04-2011 at 1:08 PM.
MSE Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
lfc84
Old 31-03-2011, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, just saved me alot of money!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
topmum
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just searched for a hotel in Hungary. On Hotwire it is 37 a night on the hotels own website it is 28!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
budgetflyer
Old 08-04-2011, 7:30 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yes Dubai's the same- dearer on hotwire. To be fair, they are not "secret hotels"
Marys Meals has a simple ethos. We deliver food and hope.
By providing one good meal to hungry, impoverished children every school day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to budgetflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
linuxsapien
Old 20-04-2011, 8:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

To be fair, its just some cute spy'ish way of getting rid of rooms. You'd be as-well just checking google for hotels where you are going and then look at reviews and pricing. Still, im sure some people will love the surprise aspect.

For example, my GF and I have a night off, so I thought Id give it a go.. We now have a night in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh hotel for 39, not too bad for a hotel right at central station!
# 6
blindman
Old 20-04-2011, 9:02 AM

Hi

This is not exactly New

I wrote and article on How to Identify Hotwire hotels back in Feb 2008

Hotwire have just revamped their site and made a "UK" one (which is the same as the US one!

Better bargains usually found on Priceline TBHO
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blindman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
miss_edith
Old 20-04-2011, 9:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

About 4 years ago I got a night in a Ramada hotel on International Drive for less than 20. They even gave me breakfast.
But I second the Priceline vote - that was the only time I've found Hotwire to be the cheaper option.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss_edith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
tonymc
Old 20-04-2011, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We used Hotwire several months ago (before the UK site came around) and saved around 50% on 4 nights for our hotel in Boston. As Blindman notes in his guide, we used the betterbidding.com website to identify the possible hotels - our choice had only two options, Sheraton or Hilton, both of which suited us, so we booked this and ended up at the Sheraton. Another advantage of Hotwire over Priceline is that the former allows you to add the number of people in the room so you should get sufficient beds - Priceline only guarantees room for two, and any additional guests/beds needs to be negotoated with the hotel which may incur additional charges.

That said, for our New York stay, the number of hotels in any given area/star rating was too many (up to 10 hotels), and the Trip Advisor reports on those identified in betterbidding were variable. In this case, rather than go for the unknown until we had paid, we chose to book one of the hotels through Hotels.com which cost us approx 80 more (but bear in mind we did know which hotel we would get, and it also gets consistantly high ratings on Trip Advisor). However, Hotels.com also have a price match guarantee, so when they had the same hotel on offer a few months later, we rebooked and saved a further 200.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonymc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sueh6
Old 22-04-2011, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been trying for months to get a decent room at a decent price in Manchester on the 8th June as we're seeing Take That; prices have been massively inflated on the dates they're playing. Managed to get the Days Inn - City Centre - for 52 instead of 111. Have already tried Priceline, Lastminute, Laterooms etc but nothing under 100 which is within 10 minutes distance.

Very happy
# 10
dmg24
Old 22-04-2011, 8:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueh6 View Post
I've been trying for months to get a decent room at a decent price in Manchester on the 8th June as we're seeing Take That; prices have been massively inflated on the dates they're playing. Managed to get the Days Inn - City Centre - for 52 instead of 111. Have already tried Priceline, Lastminute, Laterooms etc but nothing under 100 which is within 10 minutes distance.

Very happy
PL had the Renaissance for around the same price. Did you use the NYOP feature?
# 11
gonemental
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Does anyone know whether you are able to contact your winning hotel and request a specific type of room?

I should be able to save 25 per night booking with Hotwire (assuming the hotel is what I think it will be), but must have a twin room. Would I be able to request this after I have made the Hotwire booking?
# 12
ferf1223
Old 03-08-2011, 6:29 AM

What if I have special room/bed requests?

If you have specific needs (e.g., number or type of beds), please contact the property directly after booking. While we cannot guarantee that they will be able to accommodate your request, our partners will do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

So if the room MUST have a twin room then you won't be able to guarantee that...unless the hotel has only twin rooms.

http://www.hotwire.com/uk/help#topic3
# 13
withabix
Old 03-08-2011, 7:03 AM

Most hotel search engines will deliver the same prices as Hotwire, or lower ones.

Skyscanner's hotel search engine is a good place to start, as it compares prices on various booking sites:

http://hotels.skyscanner.net/?langua...EN&pageIndex=0

Search using Skyscanner, close your browser, then go to your chosen hotel booking site VIA QUIDCO.

If you use Hotwire, don't forget Quidco, because you will get another 8% back.

Similar Quidco is available from most hotel booking sites.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000

Last edited by withabix; 03-08-2011 at 7:06 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to withabix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
gonemental
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I didn't know Skyscanner had a hotel search - thanks for that. Still, it didn't come up cheaper than Hotwire. Not being able to guarantee a certain type of room was a deal breaker for me. I'd rather pay the extra to be sure.

Still, glad I found Hotwire. In combination with betterbidding.com it looks like you can find some bargains. I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.
# 15
laineesurvey
Old 06-08-2011, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Hotwire 5 Star Hotel in Vancouver

Discovered hotwire only today exists. At the last minute, I have had to book a hotel in downtown vancouver for one night when I fly in. As the reason why I have to stay here is not great, I decided to treat myself to a bit of luxury. I tried to discover the identity of the hotel but couldn't figure it out, I thought it was the 4 Seasons and thought the reviews are ok but I'm happy with it.

The mystery hotel price was 113 (I went through quidco and got 10% cashback as well), so total cost will be 101.07- bargain.

Low and behold my hotel was actually the Pan Pacific! On Last Minute this hotel is 175, on their own website it was $279 CA, so this was a true bargain, can't wait until next week now!!
# 16
littlereddevil
Old 05-09-2011, 2:20 PM

Looking for a hotel in Houston at the Galleria found 4* on Hotwire secret hotels for 50 a night INCL taxes. Went to the betterbidding site where someone thought it would be the WestinOaks ( which I really like ). Went ahead and tried it and yes it is the Westin Oaks. Great price at 400 for 8 nights in October. Less than what I won it for on Priceline last year. Betterbidding is an excellent site for checking things out
travelover
# 17
FizzerUK
Old 21-03-2012, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default OMG!! I could not be happier... :)

I was searching all over for a cheap hotel in London. So me and the GF could sightsee.
Only found 40-50 dumps, nearest was Zone 6 so travelling in would cost 15+ quid along with the hassle of getting to the tube.

Managed to book 5 nights for 330 (66 a night) including Taxes at the Hilton, Canary Wharf.

I think it's a bargain..
# 18
RichyRich
Old 22-03-2012, 7:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well done.

Pl remember that Canary Wharf is primarily a business district - but it's really not far, by public transport, into Central London for sightseeing, etc.

Nearest station to the Hilton is in fact South Quay (rather than Canary Wharf). Jump on the train one stop to Canary Wharf and change for a train to Tower Gateway and you're at the Tower of London in less than twenty minutes.

From the Tower, take a bus 15 for a scenic trip through the City into Trafalgar Square via all the landmarks. Alternatively, you can get the commuter ferry (Thames Clipper) from Canary Wharf direct to Embankment. It costs about a fiver but is a scenic, if not particularly speedy, journey into town.

Evenings - West India Quay is closeby where you're staying and has a range of reasonably priced restaurants and bars if you don't fancy heading into town every night.

London is fantastic - just make sure you go with an idea of what you want to do before you go, otherwise you may end up wandering around rather aimlessly in some of the less inspiring parts!

(If you'll be there over the weekend please note that the City (square mile) and Canary Wharf are quiet over these periods - in the City, for example, many pubs do not open on Saturday/Sunday. Don't confuse "the City" with "London" - there is plenty to do in London on the weekend, just not in the specific City!)
I can't believe you've gone to so much effort to read this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichyRich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Kito
Old 27-03-2012, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Hotwire gaming the gamers??

Has Hotwire developed a counter strategy to the gaming strategies described on this site?

I just tried the technique of cross referencing the details of the blind hotel with those on the 'standard rate' section of the site. The original (crossed out) price, star rating and location were IDENTICAL one of the standard rate hotels. As well as this the basic description of facilities and Tripadvisor score/number of ratings corresponded. Based on this I went ahead and booked only to find out that the gamble had not paid off and the secret hotel was not the one I had hoped it was.

Now I understand that this is an unexact science and gambles don't always pay off, also that I have got a good deal on the hotel we've ended up with, but a couple of things are bothering me.

The fact that the quoted original price was EXACTLY the same as one of their standard priced hotels with the same details. Having looked a little closer I see that their disclaimer states that the crossed out price is a: "median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates.".

Should I believe that some algorithm just happened to throw up this convenient number or were they being very crafty? Any thoughts or advice would be received with interest!
# 20
kforshaw
Old 27-03-2012, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I managed to book the Hotel Clybaun, Galway as a secret hotel on Hotwire in early January for 44 for a short stay in late February for a sponsored skinny dip I attended.
(The same description/ hotel the day after was 38 so kicked myself for that!)
At the time, the same room was 89 on the website. I was more than pleased with the saving.
2 Tickets to Blackrock Masters Tennis