Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    DavidA
    Tips when refurbishing a house?
    • #1
    • 15th Mar 11, 11:27 PM
    Tips when refurbishing a house? 15th Mar 11 at 11:27 PM
    I just bought a new house today and have been enjoying planning what we're going to do with it. When we bought our last house, we refurbished quite a few of the rooms. Thinking back, some things were a great use of money and others were a complete waste. I was wondering if people had tips for what had worked well for them and what they regretted.

    For example...
    • I bought cheap taps that gunked up and had to be replaced. Higher quality ones were well worth the money.
    • Can't see any point in going for posh paint, e.g. Fired Earth. Is there a difference?
    • I put in new power points and network points when re-doing the walls. They proved really handy.
    • The builder put in an extractor fan that's so noisy that we never use it. Wish I'd bought a quiet one.
    • Underfloor heating in the bathroom was a great idea.
    • I paid the builder when they'd done 98% of the work. I could never get them to finish the other 2%.
    • I bought a cheap infra-red repeater that means that my DVD player etc can be hidden in a cupboard. Great.
    • The builder put in a boiler that means we don't get any hot water out the tap for 10 seconds. Wish we'd got a better one.
    • I got a Smeg dishwasher which proved to be style over substance. Probably should have gone for Bosch, right?
    • The mail order blinds we got from blinds.co.uk were great and fairly inexpensive.
    • I got the layout of one of the rooms wrong and as a result never use half of it.
    • I bought LED bulbs which seem to flicker and aren't all that bright. Should have stuck with classic ones.
    • I used dimmers instead of regular light switches. Nice to be able to control the lighting.
    So, I'm not really looking for comments on those things (although feel free) but just interested to hear about things that have worked well for you. I actually have a pretty good budget to refurbish the house. About 100K. But even with a good budget it's easy to waste money. I've got three major jobs: installing central heating; new bathroom; new kitchen.

    Help appreciated.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,181Posts Today

7,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Craftyblogging: @MartinSLewis £98 back from EasyJet due to price match, thank you!

  • RT @sally_mw: @MartinSLewis Just had £3K refund for missold packaged account AND now have a free bank account.Thanks for making peeps aware?

  • Does anyone have a savings statement to hand? (either on paper or online). If so can you check, does it include your current interest rate?

  • Follow Martin