Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Why wont my boot open? Zafira 06 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Why wont my boot open? Zafira 06
Closed Thread
Views: 6,162
# 1
Sammy-Jo
Old 05-03-2011, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Why wont my boot open? Zafira 06

I have a Zafira (06) and over the last few weeks my boot has intermittently been refusing to open. Today, however, the boot is staying shut. There is no keyhole as it works on a sensor. Really dont want to take it to a dealership if its something I can fix myself. I thought it might be the fuse but there isnt a seperate fuse for the luggage compartment. Any ideas anyone?
# 2
Sammy-Jo
Old 05-03-2011, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thankyou so much! I looked a right idiot at Costco this afternoon with my new washing line trying to get it in my boot which wouldnt open!! Can now relax with a glass of wine and not worry about the forty five pound labour charge a certain dealership wanted to charge me just to look at it!!
# 3
birkee
Old 06-03-2011, 1:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy-Jo View Post
I have a Zafira (06) and over the last few weeks my boot has intermittently been refusing to open. Today, however, the boot is staying shut. There is no keyhole as it works on a sensor. Really dont want to take it to a dealership if its something I can fix myself. I thought it might be the fuse but there isnt a seperate fuse for the luggage compartment. Any ideas anyone?
Why was the boot refusing to open? It's sounds like an alignment fault with the boot lid, and the circuit is drawing excessive current.
If I'm right, it may blow again. Could have been some damp in the circuit though.

Don't forget, the blown fuse is the symptom, not the fault.

Last edited by birkee; 06-03-2011 at 1:34 PM. Reason: addition
# 4
Kilty
Old 06-03-2011, 1:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If the Zafira has the same fusebox as the Astra, screen wash fuse and boot fuse are the same on some models. Screenwash pump blows fuses for fun if it's cold.
# 5
wookie
Old 06-03-2011, 5:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilty View Post
If the Zafira has the same fusebox as the Astra, screen wash fuse and boot fuse are the same on some models. Screenwash pump blows fuses for fun if it's cold.
Totally agree with you on that one,
# 6
Sammy-Jo
Old 06-03-2011, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have changed the fuse but its still not opening the boot. Is there a reset button once I change the fuse or anything else I can try? Thanks.
# 7
pompeyfaith
Old 06-03-2011, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Try here bound to be someone that knows, you may have to register first

http://www.zafiraowners.co.uk/forum/forums.html
# 8
reeac
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Possibly the cable which supplies power to the lock has broken due to flexing every time the boot is opened or closed. Happened to my car once. Sometimes the same cable supplies the number plate light so check if that works.
# 9
Strider590
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM

If it's anything like the Vectra, it's an electric lock and there's a knack to opening the boot (it doesn't "pop" open like most cars).... If you hold the button down and don't use enough force to pull it open at the same time, the actuator just makes a funny whirring noise and the boot won't open at all.... If you then carry on holding the button down, there's a good chance of blowing the fuse.

Why does it have this system? Simple.... It saves weight and allows the designers to use the CAN bus system rear control module (which also saves weight) to handle everything at the rear of the vehicle electronically instead of running thick copper (expensive) cables down the length of the car.
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"

Last edited by Strider590; 07-03-2011 at 11:02 AM.
# 10
nikkiuk
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Check your screenwash, if that is not working either then it could be that you have replaced it with another dodgy fuse! It happens to us fairly regulary and is something to do with something freezing and expanding which causes the fuse to blow....that is what we were told by the vauxhall garage anyway, it's a common fault on the Zafira!
The first time it happened to us we were at Ikea and had just bought a flat packed dining room table and chairs..........twas fun squeezing it in through the back doors!!
# 11
Strider590
Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiuk View Post
Check your screenwash, if that is not working either then it could be that you have replaced it with another dodgy fuse! It happens to us fairly regulary and is something to do with something freezing and expanding which causes the fuse to blow....that is what we were told by the vauxhall garage anyway, it's a common fault on the Zafira!

That's because you tried to use your washer fluid when it was frozen solid and you overstressed the pump, which in turn blew the fuse. Not a fault with the car im afraid.

Have your wiper blades mysteriously fallen apart or the wiper arms bent to hell, when it's been frosty outside too?

Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 12
Sammy-Jo
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My screenwash is working. Runnning out of options fear I might have to take it to a dealership...
# 13
Kilty
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider590 View Post

That's because you tried to use your washer fluid when it was frozen solid and you overstressed the pump, which in turn blew the fuse. Not a fault with the car im afraid.

Have your wiper blades mysteriously fallen apart or the wiper arms bent to hell, when it's been frosty outside too?

The system in the Astra/Zafira is a bit oversensitive to be fair. Pump must be running awfully close to it's 10A rating in normal operation if it pops the fuse so quickly and easily.
# 14
cyclonebri1
Old 09-03-2011, 8:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Have you tried simply pressing down on the tailgate as you press the remote ?

The fact that this was originaly an intermitant fault indicates it could be mechanically "stuck".

If that works try an oil spray on the mech.

Having said that it could be many things,
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Closed Thread