Warning - Next Directory Returns

Options
Back in early Jan I returned an item to Next using the courier they provided (unfortunately Hermes). This was a nightmare in itself with couriers not turning up on several occasions and on one occasion the 'wrong' courier turned up who could not take that particular item:mad: After a couple of weeks of frustration it was finally picked up and I was given a card signed by the courier.

A couple of weeks later I found that the item was still showing on my account so called CS who said the item hadn't been returned. I emailed CS with a scanned copy of the courier card. I had a week of more frustration as my emails were obviously being dealt with by various people who kept asking me to reconfirm details which I had already stated clearly in the initial email.

Today I received this -

Further to your recent enquiry please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the loss of goods recently returned.

I am concerned that you have experienced difficulties and can assure you that every effort will be made to locate the whereabouts of this missing parcel. In the meantime I can confirm that the value of the item has been deducted from your account and should show on your next statement.

Unfortunately, the returns documentation you provided is not valid and would not be accepted for a subsequent claim.

To avoid any future inconvenience to yourself and any subsequent delay in crediting your account I have outlined the returns' procedure below:
1. Tick the item to be returned on the returns' note and indicate the reason for return.
2. Enclose the return form with the reason for return portion in with the parcel. 1 return note per parcel with only the items pre-printed on that returns note to be included in the parcel, no items to be handwritten on.
3. If any item received in your delivery differs from that stated, please use the space provided on the returns note to indicate the description, size, quantity and item number.
4. Wherever possible please re-use the existing packaging, however hanging garments will need to be packaged in a box before the post office will accept them.

To return by courier - Call your personal courier to arrange a collection or contact Next Directory on 0844 844 8000* who will arrange for a courier to call. Remember to obtain a signature and barcode from your courier on your copy of the returns note and keep it as proof of your return.

To return by store - Simply take the original delivery note showing your itemised goods into the store along with the goods you wish to return, (without it, it will not be possible to process the return).The staff will ask you the reason for returning the goods and credit you Next Directory account. A till receipt will then be produced as your proof of return. The returned items will be shown on your next statement.

Returns can take up to 14 days to show on your statement so it is therefore important that you retain your proof of return until you see the items credited on your statement. Please note that the original or a clear photocopy of both sides of all relevant returns documentation may be requested at our discretion when querying items returned but not previously credited. I regret without a valid proof of return we will be unable to honour any future claims for goods returned.

Sorry its so long but I wanted to show how patronising abd confusing it was. I did everything above and this still happened.

So it seems they're crediting my account with the value of the item so it should be the end of it (I think this is what they mean). I dont get why my proof of return is not valid? What else am I supposed to give them to prove I returned the item?

This has made me incredibly wary of returning anything through a courier and I will certainly not be shopping with Next Directory again.

At the moment the item is still showing on my account, I'm hoping it is removed by the next statement or I'll be going through this all over again:(

Comments

• bethesda
    bethesda Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    AppleCore wrote: »
    After a couple of weeks of frustration it was finally picked up and I was given a card signed by the courier.

Today I received this -
    Unfortunately, the returns documentation you provided is not valid and would not be accepted for a subsequent claim.

So it seems they're crediting my account with the value of the item so it should be the end of it (I think this is what they mean). I dont get why my proof of return is not valid? What else am I supposed to give them to prove I returned the item?

sorry i chopped bits out - i think your returns thing is invalid because you should not have received a signed card from a hermes courier - what you should have got is a sticker with a number on (which is trackable and matches a barcoded sticker which should have been placed on your parcel)

our customers usually put the sticker on documents relating to the order they are returning but we have put them on a card if they dont have them handy so perhaps you need to check for one on your card..........hth
  • BlueAngelCV
    Options
    Yes I always get a form with a sticky label barcode on when a courier collects my Next returns.

IMO this is the responsibility of the courier though and if the courier gave me a signed form I wouldn't question it.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • AppleCore
    Options
    You're right, I did get a signed card from a the courier but he didn't give me a barcode sticker. I had no idea that I needed one of these, unfortunately I trusted that the courier was doing his job properly and wouldn't screw me over.

When I booked the return with Next CS it would have been helpful if they'd told me that I needed to ask for this barcode. :(
  • bethesda
    bethesda Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    you shouldn't need to ask for it! it should be automatically given

i know its your couriers responsibility to ensure you get this sticker - is there a phone number on the card he gave you so you can contact him? (i don't mean hermes numbers here)

even when hubby is covering for another courier he always makes sure everythings done as it should be ( i think thats why he has quickly built up a good reputation with his customers) hope you get this sorted soon!
  • DeliveryBhoy
    Options
    Hi, currently work for hermes as a courier the returns procedure is very simple...Customer calls next & arranges a return(or calls courier directly), next inform hermes of return, hermes input info into couriers HHT scanner, courier goes to customer & picks up parcel & leaves a barcoded receipt. The next parcel should ALWAYS have a return barcode inserted on it by the customer, I will NOT pick up a next return without it, this barcode is trackable & as soon as you hand it over to the courier it can be tracked from the second you hand it over...If that return goes missing or is damaged by hermes then you can track all progress through next website & have the scanned receip given to you by courier as proof of return...Unfortunately there are some unscupulous couriers who pick up returns & accept the parcel WITHOUT the barcode, this then leaves courier & customer open to parcel going missing or if damaged, lost etc...having NO trace or receipt of it!...So, my advice to all couriers & next customers is...ALWAYS make sure you place the customer return barcode on parcel & make sure(as the customer) that you see the barcode being scanned as couriers(who are VERY lowly paid & are paid per parcel) will, to save time, just put their return barcode on the parcel in order to be paid & either fail to give you a receipt or give you a pre-made receipt...

Hope this helps
  • mulled_wine
    Options
    I don't have a printer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business