How much do you live on per month?

Hi Ladies & Gents

I have been reading this forum for a while now and it has been a great help to me.

Would you kind people tell me how much you have left to live on per month after you have paid the mortgage/rent, all domestic bills, debts and petrol/travelling expenses? ie how much do you leave for food and general living per month? I just want to compare it with what I budget for.

Thank you
Debt Bust LBM 01/01/2013 - [STRIKE]£11,115.28[/STRIKE] £10,593.81

Debt free date: Sept 2014 :beer:

Comments

• I think it really depends on everyone's circumstances. We've paid off our debt so things are better for us now than they were a few months ago. We spend up to £200 pm on food (3 adults me, oh & 18 yo ds) i've noticed food prices really seem to have gone up since Jan & then I spend up to £250 pm on pocket money. When we were in debt it was a lot less. hth x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As a single person living on my own I'm spending at most £50 a month for food (could probably do cheaper if I cooked from scratch but this is all frozen ready meals and I'm not eating anywhere near as much as I should be.)

Due to debt situation I'm pretty much not spending a penny on myself. No clothes/DVDs etc...if I'm persuaded to go out I make sure it's somewhere that has discounts either using Taste card or online vouchers.

Before I cared about my debt and once my debt is cleared and I've got a nice little emergency fund I will probably try cooking proper meals and spend about £75-£100 on food (including eating out) and maybe £100 a month on clothes/random stuff I want.
  • I would say I budget for about £175-£200 for food, less if we can, for 2 adults. My "pocket money" is currently at £50 a month until I'm out of my overdraft, but I normally give myself £100. (OH has whatever is left after he has given me his share of the bills.)

HTH :)
    ::: Total Paid Since LBM (27/05/10): £4639.85 Official Debt Gone!! :T :::
    :A
    That money talks, I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
    ~ VSP2011: #104 ~
  • This is really interesting..... hope to read a few more replies and then I will let you know how much I budget for and why it is never enough :(

• I budget £60 per week for two of us, thats all groceries, smellies, going out, the lot. Even managed to get a full tank of full out of my £240 which was £55, so impressed with myself. Going to have to be creative for lunches this week, as I have £1.25 in my purse and payday is not until Friday. I luckily have not got any debt but get a buzz out of penny pinching and not being ripped off and put any other money by for holidays and nice stuff. It is only my going out though, husband has his own beer tokens.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • I think it really depends on everyone's circumstances. We've paid off our debt so things are better for us now than they were a few months ago. We spend up to £200 pm on food (3 adults me, oh & 18 yo ds) i've noticed food prices really seem to have gone up since Jan & then I spend up to £250 pm on pocket money. When we were in debt it was a lot less. hth x

£200 on food for 3 adults??? I'm doing something wrong and after writting how much I do spend on food its actually insane. I'm a single mom with 2 boys (16 and 10) and I spend £400 pcm on groceries!:eek::mad: I WANT TO REDUCE THIS!!
  • moz86
    moz86 Posts: 117
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am a single adult living alone. Once all rent and DD's are deducted, and my saving is done for the month, I give myself £150 per week for Food, fuel and treat spending.

Any of this that is left at the end of the week (Sometimes £0, but I've had £80 before) goes into a separate tin for holiday savings/one off treats etc.
    Working to make our future as secure and comfortable as possible.
  • Blobby8_2
    Blobby8_2 Posts: 2,009 Forumite
    I budget £60 per week for two of us, thats all groceries, smellies, going out, the lot. Even managed to get a full tank of full out of my £240 which was £55, so impressed with myself. Going to have to be creative for lunches this week, as I have £1.25 in my purse and payday is not until Friday. I luckily have not got any debt but get a buzz out of penny pinching and not being ripped off and put any other money by for holidays and nice stuff. It is only my going out though, husband has his own beer tokens.
    Crikey I spend more than that on ale.
  • I am definitely doing something wrong...

I have recently split with my partner which is heartbreaking and I am managing on my own, no kids. My vice is cigarettes but I am so depressed that I need them, seriously... I can't give them up :(

I am budgeting £400 p/m for food and general. I cook my own food and take home cooked lunches to work.

• MasterPoo wrote: »
    £200 on food for 3 adults??? I'm doing something wrong and after writting how much I do spend on food its actually insane. I'm a single mom with 2 boys (16 and 10) and I spend £400 pcm on groceries!:eek::mad: I WANT TO REDUCE THIS!!

ok suggestions are

1. shop at the discount shops - I shop at Lidl & Aldi (I used to have a Nettos in our town but it recently closed :() then do top up shopping at Asda - go at the times when they discount foods (there's a thread in the os board about this :T)

2. whenever I cook something "wet" curry/spag/chilli/sweet & sour etc I add red lentils & whatever veg is on offer to bulk it out

3. try to have 1 or 2 meat free days a week (spanish omlette or jacket pots & tuna/salad/baked beans & cheese ;))

4. work out which basic stuff is ok & use it - pasta/rice/some cleaning products/some biscuits/tinned toms again there is a whole thread on what basics are ok where

5. meal plan and work out weekly menu based on what you have

6. make your own cakes for snacks during the week while the oven is on cooking something else - cheap, cheerful and at no extra energy costs ;)

7. spend some time on the os board really is fantastic :money:

8. buy a slightly bigger chicken & roast and then make 1 or 2 additional meals out of the leftovers

9. invest in a slow cooker you can then get cheaper cuts of meat and slow cook - again some delish recipes on the os board

it took some time to get there, I have to do it on my own if my oh comes with me I'm bgugered! I also buy a sack of spuds from a farm for £3.50, store in the garage & that lasts 3 months & use star drops for cleaning. hths x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills