Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion
Views: 14,540
# 1
MSE Martin
Old 17-02-2011, 6:23 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion

This thread is specifically to discuss the booklet

To discuss or ask a question just click 'reply'. Thanks!

(This thread was also used for discussing an early sneak peek of the guide, so some of the early notes include suggestions for that.)
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 23-02-2011 at 9:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
nee-naw
Old 17-02-2011, 6:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Debt and Mental Helath Booklet

Excellent work Martin .... very well done. Hero to the masses.

Congratulations on a job well done!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nee-naw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tugrin
Old 17-02-2011, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Debt and Mental Health Booklet

A very much needed piece of literature addressing a problem which is the economic equivalent of the diabetes epidemic. It is stunning that you have been left to deal with this issue single handedly without help from government/ business - you should on the honours list for the help you provide to all of us anyway - but this excellent booklet should lead to a knighthood at least!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tugrin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
So Sad Angel
Old 17-02-2011, 7:47 PM

I am so glad that you have taken the time to put this together. It needs publicity and my guess is there will be so many people who identify with it immediately.

This subject has been swept under the rug for far too long now...it needs to be recognised & discussed openly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to So Sad Angel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
madhouse
Old 17-02-2011, 7:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Fantastic Martin,Jenny and Marianne as a full time parent and carer to a young adult with Asperger's syndrome, I've learnt a lot from this already. Our son has very poor communication skills and although I am an appointee for him he handles his own benefit money. It has taken years of tuition to make him understand the value of money, and his Dad will now joke he's so aware he's tight! But I worry about what will happen one day when we are not available to guide or protect him and this has given me reassurrance that he already has some protection. Well done and thank you, I look forward to the finished copy.

Last edited by madhouse; 17-02-2011 at 8:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madhouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
grange67
Old 17-02-2011, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Excellent work martin, I am one of the many unfortunate people who have debt and suffer from a mental health problem. Unfortunately there still is some stigma attached to mental health and some people are not willing to admit having such a problem. i have been lucky to have a very supportive family, employer and have received help through work initiatives. One such initiative is "beating the blues" and excellent cbt programme that helps change a negative to a postive, helps so much!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to grange67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
secretshopper75
Old 17-02-2011, 8:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just downloaded this...fantastic Martin...you deserve a big thank you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to secretshopper75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Vorobyey
Old 17-02-2011, 8:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Great document.

I have one query based on personal experience:

p34
"Take advantage of disability discounts
If you receive disability living allowance (DLA), there is a raft of discounts available. One of the best is a Disabled Persons Railcard, which costs £18 and cuts a third off your ticket and an adult companion’s – they don’t have to be a carer.
To qualify, you must get Attendance Allowance or the disability living allowance.
People receiving certain benefits get reduced fees and charges at most libraries. Ask at your local one to see what it offers."

I believe that Disabled Persons Railcard and other Travelcards are only available for people on higher rate mobility. Certainly on the lower rate I have been told that I cannot obtain one. Please tell me I am wrong because travel is getting so impossibly expensive.

Also it is very humiliating to prove to all and sundry that one is receipt of benefits eg at the library where you can be well-known to the librarians. Have you any advice on how to prove your right to reductions without producing lots of papers?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vorobyey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
OBrother2001
Old 17-02-2011, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Martin

On page 18 - it refers to cutting off the water supply as a last resort - in fact cutting off a domestic water supply is illegal, no matter how big the debt. Of course, this would not stop the water company taking action in the courts for a CCJ but the water supply must still stay connected nonetheless.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OBrother2001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
beanielou
Old 17-02-2011, 9:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Very impressive & imformative
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone 3 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
Make it count!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beanielou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Aesop
Old 17-02-2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorobyey View Post
Great document.

I have one query based on personal experience:

p34
"Take advantage of disability discounts
If you receive disability living allowance (DLA), there is a raft of discounts available. One of the best is a Disabled Persons Railcard, which costs £18 and cuts a third off your ticket and an adult companion’s – they don’t have to be a carer.
To qualify, you must get Attendance Allowance or the disability living allowance.
People receiving certain benefits get reduced fees and charges at most libraries. Ask at your local one to see what it offers."

I believe that Disabled Persons Railcard and other Travelcards are only available for people on higher rate mobility. Certainly on the lower rate I have been told that I cannot obtain one. Please tell me I am wrong because travel is getting so impossibly expensive.

Also it is very humiliating to prove to all and sundry that one is receipt of benefits eg at the library where you can be well-known to the librarians. Have you any advice on how to prove your right to reductions without producing lots of papers?
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...ort/DG_4001063

Eligibility
To qualify, you must meet at least one of the criteria listed below. The application form lists the proof you will need to confirm that you're eligible for a Railcard.
You qualify if you:
are registered as visually impaired
are registered as deaf or using a hearing aid
have epilepsy and have repeated attacks even though you receive drug treatment
have epilepsy and are currently prohibited from driving because of your epilepsy
receive Attendance Allowance
receive Severe Disablement Allowance
receive the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
receive the higher or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
receive War or Service Disablement Pension for a disability of 80 per cent or more
are buying or leasing a vehicle through the Motability Scheme
Make £10 a day July 2014 £376.71
Pinecone vouchers earnt 2014 £12.
Roadkill 2014 £7.16
Money earnt in 2014 £872.30
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aesop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Aesop
Old 17-02-2011, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrother2001 View Post
Hi Martin

On page 18 - it refers to cutting off the water supply as a last resort - in fact cutting off a domestic water supply is illegal, no matter how big the debt. Of course, this would not stop the water company taking action in the courts for a CCJ but the water supply must still stay connected nonetheless.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rs/DG_10025592

Water rates arrears
Many water companies send out bills twice a year, in April and October. You can pay your bill all at once or in instalments - perhaps weekly, fortnightly or monthly. If you get behind with your payments the water company can't disconnect your supply, but they can take action to get their money and, if necessary, take you to court.
There is a scheme called 'WaterSure' that may be able to help you. There is a useful flow chart on the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) website where you can check if you are eligible for the WaterSure scheme.
Get contact details for your water companyOpens new window
Make a complaint to OfwatOpens new window
Make £10 a day July 2014 £376.71
Pinecone vouchers earnt 2014 £12.
Roadkill 2014 £7.16
Money earnt in 2014 £872.30
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aesop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
niccatw
Old 17-02-2011, 11:15 PM

A big thank you to Martin and team!

When I first was brave enough to visit my GP, I filled out the depression questionairre she handed me in a way I knew would mean I wouldn't be diagnosed. My GP advised me to go and get my hair cut or buy myself some new clothes to make myself feel better.

My stress levels went through the roof because I was juggling debt with everything else. (Admittedly, I said nothing to my GP of this, so I'm not suggesting the GP should have known, but just how I felt.)

By the time I was brave enough to go back (and make sure I saw a different GP), I had lost an awful lot of weight and was really very low and it was a long, slow (and continuing) process to get me back to feeling like me again.

If my GP had had a better understanding of the link between mental health and depression, that first appointment might have been very different.

I really hope GP's embrace your hard work and see your booklet not only as a way of helping their patients, but as a starting point for any doctor's out there who are less familiar or confident when it comes to mental health and debt.
Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
HFC 1896.10. 225.55 SLC2 5123.34 0 Others 2085 1000 Bcard 1172.60 0

Mike's Mob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to niccatw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Mrs Arcanum
Old 17-02-2011, 11:20 PM

Will forward this to my work.
"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad
Unless backed up by a link, my comments are just my opinion.
Less than £10,000 debt milestone reached.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Arcanum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
eng
Old 18-02-2011, 1:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It is so refreshing to find someone who can understand others problems. Even those trained to understand do not have the empathy and skills you have Martin. I have a son with mental health problems and it is a losing battle to find awareness and understanding from those who should be able to help him. A brilliant resource and thank you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eng For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
3Dogs
Old 18-02-2011, 3:32 AM

Well done to Martin and the team for this excellent much-needed document
R.I.P. Mr 3Dogs 3rd July 2012
3Dogs'Mam 31st March 2013
----------------------------------------------------
Rejoined S/World - at week 25 - 45 lb/56
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3Dogs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
tealady
Old 18-02-2011, 6:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to tealady

Hi
I think that booklet would be great for anyone who is worrried about debt. Well done to the team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tealady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
brenda10
Old 18-02-2011, 9:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Fantastic booklet

Martin,
The amount of useful information in the booklet is incredible, I had not realised so many offers of help are out there and now that I have all your useful information I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Brilliant work and thanks for all your and the teams hard work.
C.M
The Following User Says Thank You to brenda10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Erme
Old 18-02-2011, 9:38 AM

I've just had a quick skim read but looks pretty comprehensive...Have spammed all my medics (and I have lots of medics email addies LOL)

Just wondering if DMP providers though should also be included in the appendix? Just a thought?

And what about doing something on help for students - even if it's just a paragraph because like so many folk have their first psychotic episode as students..

Glad the W.R.A.P is in there though...the wrap is so cool

You just need to get us all making cards as inpatients and starting up cottage industries on the acute wards LOL....knitting needles and crochet hooks to the rescue (boy that'd keep the recovery centre busy tee hee)

E
PS. Och and baking for our medics...works better than complaints......Just tell us a good cheap food processor
I believe in the power of PAD
Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread

Last edited by Erme; 18-02-2011 at 9:39 AM. Reason: my reputation
The Following User Says Thank You to Erme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
ellybelly89
Old 18-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's excellent Martin. You deal with the issue in a sensitive yet constructive manner.
You should be knighted sir.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ellybelly89 For This Useful Post: Show me >>