Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Disposable Credit Card (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Disposable Credit Card
Closed Thread
Views: 5,673
# 1
matthewdownloads
Old 05-02-2011, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Disposable Credit Card

I'm buying something from a foreign country & I'd rather pay by paypal or something safe like that but they only accept debit/credit card. I'm fairly sure the website is safe but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I want a card which I can use as a one-off, ie a disposable card. I saw the website 3V has something like this but I can't register since the page won't load. Also I presume if my purchase was about 15 and I put 20 on the voucher then I lose 5.

The other thing I see is 'prepaid cards', however these seem to be permanent cards? The whole point of this is I don't want to see my bank account emptied if the worst possible scenario happened. If I got a prepaid card for this then does that affect my 'score' or anything like that? One site I looked at was talking about building a credit rating? I already have a debit card so for all UK purchases I just use that. What do I need to do/get?

Edit: And another thing is prepaid visa/mastercard gift cards like the mastercard freedom card...? Is this what I need?

Edit 2: Or western union money transfer. I know they could take the money and run but they don't get my debit card details though right?

Last edited by matthewdownloads; 05-02-2011 at 7:39 PM.
# 2
Toe-Jam
Old 06-02-2011, 2:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if your an o2 customer, you can get a prepaid visa card from their website, its free to load and free to use. It will not affect your "score" its not a form of credit. And you should ALWAYS avoid western union unless your sending to family or friends.
# 3
archer7
Old 06-02-2011, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Try a Neteller account. You can get a "virtual prepaid mastercard" instantly that only works for a single transaction, and it's free to load with a debit card.

http://public.neteller.com/content/en/cards_index.htm

Edit: Btw, you can also load the exact amount, so there's no money left over in the account.

Last edited by archer7; 06-02-2011 at 6:11 PM.
# 4
sharpy2010
Old 06-02-2011, 6:12 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

There is a MASSIVE market for this, I'm trying it now. I'll let you know in a few moments if it works!
# 5
sharpy2010
Old 06-02-2011, 6:21 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Well, I signed up, and my account has been instantly disabled. No warning, no reasons why, nothing. Not a great start.

Im guessing that its to do with having to provide documents before I can use the account, however, if they've started like this, what else might they do.

Think I'll use Moneybookers instead.
# 6
archer7
Old 06-02-2011, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmm. That's strange. You will need to provide identification before you use the Virtual Mastercard, but I don't remember it being that hard for me, I don't think I sent off anything.
# 7
bobweston
Old 08-02-2012, 6:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There's an article here about Disposable credit cards, and some suggestions why they've not caught on: http://money.msn.com/credit-cards/is...er-weston.aspx

It looks like O2 have stopped doing theirs:

http://money.o2.co.uk/cashmanager.html
The Following User Says Thank You to bobweston For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Saints2011
Old 08-02-2012, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe-Jam View Post
if your an o2 customer, you can get a prepaid visa card from their website, its free to load and free to use. It will not affect your "score" its not a form of credit. And you should ALWAYS avoid western union unless your sending to family or friends.
Not offered anymore
Can I find out my credit score?
You do not have a single credit score or rating. Different organisations take different information into account when working out your credit score and may have different scores for different products. (Kindly from Experian)

# 9
bobweston
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Thomas Cook - Prepaid currency cards, Mastercard

Thomas Cook offer these Prepaid currency cards from Mastercard http://www.cashpassport.com

You appear to be able to use these online too.
# 10
andyt8
Old 07-03-2012, 7:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobweston View Post
There's an article here about Disposable credit cards, and some suggestions why they've not caught on: http://money.msn.com/credit-cards/is...er-weston.aspx

It looks like O2 have stopped doing theirs:
http://money.o2.co.uk/cashmanager.html
Yes but Orange Cash has now been launched by the Orange mobile phone group. O2 said when the pulled theirs they would be re-launching something better in 2012.. I have an Orange Cash pre-paid card and it works fine.
# 11
glawster
Old 07-03-2012, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Which country are you buying from? EU/US shouldn't be a problem, Nigeria or China be very careful. Be aware tha Paypal is NOT a safe payment method and there is nothing to stop the buyer taking the money and running. If a foreign seller asks for Western Union odds are it's a scam and you will never see the goods or your money again. WU is for sending money to friends/family, not business transactions. Just don't use it for this type of purchase (google i

Use a credit card (if paying direct, NOT through a third party like Paypal) and if the goods don't arrive and the transaction is worth 100 or more then the credit card company is jointly liable if the goods don't arrive. Also you are protected from unauthorized transactions on your credit card.

It sounds like you don't trust the company too much so another option is escrow (try escrow.com), your money is held by a third party and your release it when the goods arrive undamaged. There is a fee for this service though.

Finally be aware that customs can sting you for any of VAT, excise duty and customs duty depending on what you are buying if the goods come from outside the EU. The current threshold is 15 for most goods and 0 for others. HMRC have details on there website.
# 12
bobweston
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by glawster View Post
Be aware tha Paypal is NOT a safe payment method and there is nothing to stop the buyer taking the money and running.

Hi there,

Why do you say Paypal is not a safe payment method?

I don't use PP myself, but there is coverage on the web that people's accounts have been 'hacked'. I'm curious why Paypal would be considered more prone to hacking or 'less secure'.
My theory is if people have rubbish passwords (Paypal and/or their main e-mail account) and/or had no/out-of-date security this could be a reason why they had their Paypal accounts hacked, or money taken... either by someone guessing, knowing the log-in details, or if they were exposed to a keylogger.

A friend of mine said a number of her colleagues had their PP accounts hacked - but it transpired they were on the same network with the same password to logon, so in this case their company's insecure network was the reason these accounts were compromised in this case.

Maybe I've misinterpreted what you mean by 'safe' here.

Last edited by bobweston; 08-03-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: correction to quote tag, add line.
Closed Thread