replacing clutch cable

Options
just quick question, my clutch pedal is stiff but have no problen selecting gears so after reading through few topics on internet i have decided to replace my cable, my car is the xsara picasso hdi 2.0 02 plate. my question is how hard is it to replace the cable on these and are there any instructions online anywhere.

thank you.

Comments

• johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    marrittm wrote: »
    just quick question, my clutch pedal is stiff but have no problen selecting gears so after reading through few topics on internet i have decided to replace my cable, my car is the xsara picasso hdi 2.0 02 plate. my question is how hard is it to replace the cable on these and are there any instructions online anywhere.

thank you.

on the xsara i have a feeling it is same set up as a pug 306,have a look at the pedal and there should be a spring inbetween 2 pieces of plastic that are pushed on to ball joints on pedal.
    If this is still in place get a screwdriver and lever the items off and file them in the bin as they are not needed.
    the cables are not normally the problem if the plastic on pedal does not cure then try lubricating the plastic bushes on clutch fork in gearbox.
    I will say the PSA diesels with cable clutches are notoriously heavy anyway so the slightest stifness will make them unbearable.
  • marrittm
    marrittm Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    on the xsara i have a feeling it is same set up as a pug 306,have a look at the pedal and there should be a spring inbetween 2 pieces of plastic that are pushed on to ball joints on pedal.
    If this is still in place get a screwdriver and lever the items off and file them in the bin as they are not needed.
    the cables are not normally the problem if the plastic on pedal does not cure then try lubricating the plastic bushes on clutch fork in gearbox.
    I will say the PSA diesels with cable clutches are notoriously heavy anyway so the slightest stifness will make them unbearable.

thank you for your reply i have noticed the spring you mention so i will have a go tomorow, thats if i can get a cable on a saturday morning.

thank you
  • Incyder
    Incyder Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for taking action, a stiff cable often goes 'ping' eventually, and its a real nightmare.
    Plus if u are in a jam, in 1st, very likely to hit the car in front.
    Zebra crossing- could be nasty.

Will probably only need changing once in the life of the car.
  • marrittm
    Options
    Incyder wrote: »
    Well done for taking action, a stiff cable often goes 'ping' eventually, and its a real nightmare.
    Plus if u are in a jam, in 1st, very likely to hit the car in front.
    Zebra crossing- could be nasty.

Will probably only need changing once in the life of the car.

cheers knowing my luck that would happen lol, lets hope it never needs changing again.
  • Flying-High_2
    Options
    Does it have a clutch cable?.. I'd have thought it would be a hydraulic clutch with it being a Hdi.?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I got my old banger of an astra a couple of years ago the clutch was very heavy and I thought it was just a vauxhall thing until one day in rush hour traffic sat at a junction the cable snapped. Three hours later and £125 lighter the RAC came and fixed it, driving it away was like driving a new car the clutch was so light and easy it now became a pleasure to drive and I hope to have this car for another three years. The cable was frayed so was catching the inner sleeve as it was used thus giving the feeling of it being heavy. I have since had the temp repair replaced with a proper clutch cable at a garage for £40.
  • marrittm
    Options
    Does it have a clutch cable?.. I'd have thought it would be a hydraulic clutch with it being a Hdi.?

well after calling round for most of this morning with no luck i finally decided to call the main dealer "guess what" its not cable its hydraulic i just wish i saw this post before i waisted my morning lol, so now i have discovered there is no cable what else could i look at for stiff clutch to be fair i have been told that they are a bit stiff on these cars but i have nothing to compare it to and main dealer wants £45 just to check it. im going to give the pedal some lubrication tomorow just incase but is there any other test i can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure