Boots opticians-1hour to cancel??

Options
HI.... yesterday i went for an eye test at boots an they said i need new glasses. the price was £150 just for the lenses!!! after paying this i went to asda opticians and they said they could do the same thing for £65 INCLUDING FRAMES!! i then rang boots up to cancel my order and they said its been over an hour so i cant cancel!! it had been 2.5 hour. is this right? you only get 1hour to cancel??? the price isnt competitve at all.

Comments

• jammydodger1000
    Options
    The legal position is that you dont have a right to cancel at all, that Boots will let you within 1 hour will be there policy as opposed to an entitlement.

The fact that the same or at least a similar product is available elsewhere for a lower price unfortunately has no bearing on this as we don't live in a state which imposes price controls.

At the end of the day if you weren't happy with the price in Boots you shouldn't have agreed to purchase at that price.
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    The legal position is that you dont have a right to cancel at all, that Boots will let you within 1 hour will be there policy as opposed to an entitlement.

The fact that the same or at least a similar product is available elsewhere for a lower price unfortunately has no bearing on this as we don't live in a state which imposes price controls.

At the end of the day if you weren't happy with the price in Boots you shouldn't have agreed to purchase at that price.

Agree completely. You have to bear in mind OP, the only time you have a legal right is when an item is faulty, not because you don't like it any more, or it is too expensive. Lesson for the future - shop around!
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    HI.... yesterday i went for an eye test at boots an they said i need new glasses. the price was £150 just for the lenses!!! after paying this i went to asda opticians and they said they could do the same thing for £65 INCLUDING FRAMES!! i then rang boots up to cancel my order and they said its been over an hour so i cant cancel!! it had been 2.5 hour. is this right? you only get 1hour to cancel??? the price isnt competitve at all.

More fool you. Legally you have no right to cancel at all after you've paid. Boots are being generous giving you 1 hour.
  • kevinhartshorn
    Options
    the i hour rule was never mentioned thow and it says nothing on the recipt or website! they should make you aware of it when buying. thought there would be like a cooling of period....
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    There's no cooling off period when you buy in store. You see the goods, you hand over your money. End of transaction (unless they subsequently prove to be faulty of course). I'm not sure why retailers should need to say "That thing you've just bought. It's yours now. You can't get your money back if you change your mind" every time you buy something in a shop. It would get kind of exhausting!
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    the i hour rule was never mentioned thow and it says nothing on the recipt or website! they should make you aware of it when buying. thought there would be like a cooling of period....

No such thing as a cooling off period when buying in a shop, and the 1 hour cancellation is Boots being generous.

It's up to the consumer to price up goods and make sure they're getting a good deal, thus you should have shopped around BEFORE buying from Boots. Why on earth did you do this afterwards?!?

Take it as a lesson learnt, and you'll know for next time to do your homework first!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • 123louisa
    123louisa Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2011 at 9:15PM
    Options
    As above really! We were told you couldn't do it even within an hour.

Also when you press order on the computer its linked to the lens manufacturer and frame supplier which I believe are the same now as in they come from the same place, and the order will already be being processed. Hence why you can get simple orders back in a few days. The quickest turnaround we had was 3 days.
    Member for a long time only recent poster

***THANK YOU***

To all those who post comps, no wins yet though!
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I would check what their terms are about "satisfaction". I used a Specsavers shop once and they had a money-back guarantee if they couldn't resolve your problem. I claimed under it and got my money back.
  • kevinhartshorn
    Options
    just felt a bit ript off when seeing how much i could have got them for. thought boots wer competitive! lesson learnt anyway.
    I have managed to get £40 back after complaining...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    same thing happened to me with D&A - except their assistant made a verbal guarantee that the price I was paying would be cheaper than any other high street branch. What she failed to mention what that she was referring to their 'special' lens which is not available anywhere else. :mad:

Just consider that you paid that extra money to learn a lesson in life and you will not make the same mistake again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure