Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Claim PPI as far back as 10 years, really? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Claim PPI as far back as 10 years, really?
Views: 19,835
# 1
DocHants
Old 24-01-2011, 9:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Claim PPI as far back as 10 years, really? SUCCESS!!

I was always gutted when I heard you could claim back PPI if sold it withitn the last 6 years, as I vividly remember the conversation I had with Black Hourse, when I asked if I could have the loan without the insurance, and was basically told, that I would be unlikely to get the loan without it...!

Ive recently seen ads with companies saying you can claim upto 10 years, I thought great.. my loan started in 2002, and was settled in Jan 2005 when we got a mortgage, so paid off the remaining £4.5k.. now I know the process can be done yourself, and these companies are simply making money from you... but is this trued, upto 10 years?

Could I reclaim the insurance premium I was paying for 3 years???

Last edited by DocHants; 05-01-2012 at 9:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHants For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
tifosi
Old 24-01-2011, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Dont see why not when people on the forums have had claims back to the late 80's!

Look at it this way, if it wasnt possible, why would they waste money advertising it?

Do you have the account numbers/ any paperwork?

If so, go for it!
-

Congratulations to all who have got their PPI back!

The Following User Says Thank You to tifosi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dunstonh
Old 25-01-2011, 9:37 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

It depends on how it was sold and the regulatory status of the firm at the time and how long time has gone by. Time is an issue in some circumstances.

Quote:
Look at it this way, if it wasnt possible, why would they waste money advertising it?
Claims companies make most of their money on the up front fees people pay. They put in complaints about everything and anything, even when there is no reason for complaint. One complaints handler at a financial firm said that over half the complaints they get from claims companies dont even have the product that is being complained about. The compliance company I use has said around 1/3rd of all complaints they handle are obvious try-it-ons and nearly all come from claims companies. So, just because a claims company says something or does something, doesnt mean its right.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
DocHants
Old 25-01-2011, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

In a strange twist of fate, I wa tidying up my cupboard recently and I actually found the policy documents from 2002, from Blackhorse, confirming that I was to pay nearly £1800 PPI....

Ive just emailed off a request for full refund...

I do hnestly remember the pre loan interview and I did ask for the cost of the loan without PPI, and was told that due to my credit history, they would not be able to offer the loadn without it...

I know its an old policy, but if I was mis-sold it, then I was mis-sold regardless of when it was.... maybe Im just about to get lucky, Im well overdue some luck, and it was strange just stumbling across that policy doc.. I was thinking id have to contact them and try to get some info from them, but now im armed with the policy doc itself...!! Ill let you know, but I aint holding my breath!!!
# 5
roonaldo
Old 25-01-2011, 9:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

there is time barring issues now so 2002 would be too long ago
The Following User Says Thank You to roonaldo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
DocHants
Old 26-01-2011, 9:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thats a bit annoying.. I took the agreement out in 2002, over a 60 month term, but settled it on 10 jan 2005... so really, its not that long ago... its worth a try!
# 7
amersall
Old 26-01-2011, 9:39 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHants View Post
Thats a bit annoying.. I took the agreement out in 2002, over a 60 month term, but settled it on 10 jan 2005... so really, its not that long ago... its worth a try!
Hi there, i had a loan taken out in 02 and settled in 05 and i won mis sell with this, also i won with a loan from the 90s, as others on this forum have too. Good luck with this and please keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
peadars
Old 26-01-2011, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

in similar position as you,i have had catalogueaccount also lloyds personal loans on two seperate occasions plus two credit cards with ppi. i have some paperwork but too scared to start ball rolling. i wish you luck and will keep checking in to see your victory post
The Following User Says Thank You to peadars For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
di3004
Old 26-01-2011, 4:51 PM

I was successful in reclaiming loan ppi from a case in 2001, this was last year, so give it a go, you've nothing to lose, good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
# 10
di3004
Old 26-01-2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peadars View Post
in similar position as you,i have had catalogueaccount also lloyds personal loans on two seperate occasions plus two credit cards with ppi. i have some paperwork but too scared to start ball rolling. i wish you luck and will keep checking in to see your victory post
If you have your reasons for being mis sold, then go for it, remember lloyds have stacks of these complaints, so don't feel alone, your only reclaiming as this is your rights if you've been mis sold.
Don't worry about the paperwork, if you have your account number then that is fine.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...urance#reclaim

Good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
# 11
DocHants
Old 05-01-2012, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thought I would let everyone know that it was a success!!!!

I got over £3200 just before decmber.. which was nearly double what I thought I may have gotten! This was perhaps because I was originally told on the phone I would be getting around £1800 back, which I was made up with, then a week later, I called again, and was told £3200, which I couldnt quite believe! The amount was made up of £1800 in ppi payments, and around £1400 in interest!!!

I urge anyone doing a PPI claim NOT to use a cmopany. they do nothing you cant do yourself.. they simply fill and submit forms on your behalf. All financial institutions have PPI cliam forms, that are really easy to complete, as I submitted one to Black Horse as Id had a very small second loand with them, so thought what the hell, and claimed this back myself, got £300!

Luckily I had used a cmopany that only charge 15%, but wish I hadnt even done that.. seriously, do it yourslef, photocopy all forms and send special delivery...

Took nearly 10 motnhs from submitting a claim to getting a cheque.. and to think, I nearly didnt even bother as I thought it was too far back, as most places tell you it must be within last 6 years!

Good luck!!