Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > What to do, empty gas bottles (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What to do, empty gas bottles
Closed Thread
Views: 9,791
# 1
belisha-beacon
Old 22-01-2011, 6:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What to do, empty gas bottles

We have recently bought a house and have moved in to find four or five large gas bottles/canisters in our garden. Obviously we could cause a stink and try and get the vendor to take them since they were not part of the house that we were buying but to be honest it's probably easier to sort it out ourselves. However, I have no idea how to go about this. Not even sure if this is the right bit of the forum!

I'm presuming that these are empty because they don't feel too heavy, but I'm not sure how to tell. There are no contact details that I can see on any of the canisters, some look fairly old. Since they are pretty substantial, I'm guessing that gas companies may collect these up for free, or would I have to contact someone (who?) and pay them to take them away safely? Any advice?

I'm happy for this to be moved to another forum if there is one that is better suited!
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 22-01-2011, 6:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Who are they owned by? The name should be on the cylinder. Return them to the nearest dealer maybe Calor Gas or FloGas...Could be anyone. They will pick them up for free if you wish. Or freecycle them. They are worth up to 30 to someone.

Last edited by HappyMJ; 22-01-2011 at 6:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Poosmate
Old 22-01-2011, 6:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You could always sell them on Ebay. Some people make woodburners out of them. Search Gas Bottle Wood Burners on Ebay and see what comes up. There's a guy who makes them and sells regularly. Maybe he'd be interested in them - would be fab if he was local to you.

Otherwise, you could scrap them. May as well make a few bob out of them!

Poo
One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money 1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)6.82? (0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (25+), Valued Opinions 12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie 0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
The Following User Says Thank You to Poosmate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
belisha-beacon
Old 22-01-2011, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks. One is a Calor cylinder but I can't see names on the others (they may have come off) and they are all different shapes and sizes, annoyingly!

Good idea about scrap value. I presume they'd need to be empty before I could sell them for scrap, do you know how I could check if they are?
# 5
Poosmate
Old 22-01-2011, 6:31 PM

No idea on that I'm afraid BB but I have seen somewhere on't intertweb how to check. It might have been on YouTube or Instructibles when I tried to find out how this guy was making the woodburners out of them. It struck me as rather dangerous to be cutting gas cylinders open with angle grinders and such!

Regarding scrapping them, not sure if it matters if they are empty or not. I'm sure most "scrappys" get these things all the time anyway so they should be well versed in dealing with them - same as dealing with potentially flammable/explosive liquids in cars when they're scrapped.

Hope that helps,

Poo
One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money 1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)6.82? (0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (25+), Valued Opinions 12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie 0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
# 6
HappyMJ
Old 22-01-2011, 7:02 PM

The Calor cylinder is actually owned by Calor. The scrappy won't be able to destroy it he'll return it for credit. So you may as well return it yourself for credit or give it to someone who needs a cylinder as it will save them the 30 deposit that they'll need to pay if they don't already have a cylinder to swap when getting a refill.

You don't need to worry if they are empty they will always have a little gas in them. They can't be emptied completely.
# 7
DVardysShadow
Old 22-01-2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belisha-beacon View Post
Thanks. One is a Calor cylinder but I can't see names on the others (they may have come off) and they are all different shapes and sizes, annoyingly!
Do take care to identify them. There is a small chance they could be something else - oxygen, acetylene, CO2, anaesthetic ... in which case you might need advice on disposal.
# 8
Pincher
Old 22-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Easiest is to ask the council. They might even collect.

We have a "Civic Amenity Site" for taking difficult stuff like car battteries.
What happens if you push this button?
# 9
welda
Old 22-01-2011, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If one tank is tall and black, it is oxygene, tall and black with white pin stripe down length of each side, it is dissolved oxygene. Maroon = Actylene (small-ish dumpy, normally weld seam around middle) take great care with this one is so? Fire Brigade will be more than happy to advise what contains what, and best route to dispose of tanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to welda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
burnsguitarman
Old 22-01-2011, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Calor, or their agents will only give refunds if you have the original receipt for hire of the bottle, but you can return the bottle to any of them. Alternatively take them to your local tip, they should have a safe disposal point.
# 11
jackieb
Old 22-01-2011, 10:48 PM

We have a bit at the council skip (aka recycling centre) for gas bottles. They're locked up. You just have to ask someone on site. Look on your local council website.

Just don't do what someone did here a while back and put it in your wheelie bin. http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/news...sp?newsID=1264

Last edited by jackieb; 22-01-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Closed Thread