Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    super41
    Mouldy jam!
    • 5th Nov 06, 10:00 PM
    Mouldy jam! 5th Nov 06 at 10:00 PM
    In September my OH made some blackberry & apple jam (free apples and foraged berries of course!) and it was delicious. It's been stored in our pantry since. He opened a jar today and it had quite a lot of mould growing on it. On checking the other jars they appear to be the same. I am assuming he boiled it for long enough so the jam should be ok. He sterilised the jars and screwtop lids by steeping them in Milton and then drying them out in a hot oven. The jam was covered with a disc of greaseproof paper. I noticed that the jars do not appear to be filled to the top though OH assures me he filled them almost full. Could the jam have 'shrunk' or perhaps he just didn't fill them enough and the gap has caused the problem? Could storage conditions have caused mould?

He's very disappointed and I don't want this setback to put him off OS!

Any ideas on what's gone wrong? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

6,314Users online

Martin's Twitter