Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > 5p off petrol for a £50 spend at Tesco (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
5p off petrol for a £50 spend at Tesco
Closed Thread
Views: 41,001
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Martin
Old 31-10-2006, 5:39 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 5p off petrol for a £50 spend at Tesco

What's the deal?

Spend £50 in store at Tesco (not online) between now and 12 November (inclusive) and you'll get a voucher for 5p off fuel at Tesco service stations. As always there are restrictions on what you can spend your £50 to get your voucher (tobacco, lottery, baby products and petrol are excluded).

When do you have to use the vouchers by?

Once you've received a voucher it must be used within two weeks.

Don't assume this is still the best price for your fuel

While 5p off your fuel sounds good it's not necessarily the cheapest. To double check you're getting the best saving read my Petrol/Diesel Cost Cutting article first. If 5p off is then still good for you then go for it!

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
# 2
steady__eddie
Old 31-10-2006, 7:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As I was performing a bodily function in Asda on Sunday (In the appointed area I might add), I happened to glance slightly upwards, and there in a little wooden frame was an advert for Asda credit cards. "Are there no lengths to which advertisers will go to get their message across ?" I thought to myself but closer inspection revealed that Asda will knock 5p/litre off fuel if it is purchased with one of their credit cards.
I am not advocating that anyone should apply for yet another c.c. but I always pay mine off in full every month and Asda fuel is usually the cheapest in my area. I'm going to read the T + Cs, at my convenience !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steady__eddie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ksh123
Old 31-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Angry Grrrrr, It Makes My Blood Boil!!

Sorry to rain on this parade but I have actually written to Tesco to complain about the reappearance of this deal. I don't want the deal takne away, I wouldn't be so mean, but I do think it should be tuned to so that it is available to EVERYBODY.
This is what I have said to Tesco:

" Do you know how difficult it is for a single person, or someone on a reduced income to spend £50 in one transaction at the supermarket? Even at this time, with Christmas shopping to do, many people simply do not have the available finance to benefit from this “deal”.

Yet those who are shopping for larger families, or are better off, can benefit every time they shop.

I think this deal is elitist and discriminatory and it makes me mad that the supermarket that trades on “every little helps” is not helping the very people who may need it most.

It would make considerably more sense, and be a great deal more fair, if customers could save their till receipts (within a reasonable time frame) and claim their discounted fuel via customer services when they have reached a £50 spend. They way, we can all benefit."
Stop looking for answers....
The most you can hope for are clues.....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksh123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Edinburghlass
Old 31-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I found one of the 5p off vouchers left at the self service till I used at the w/end, I happily pocketed it and will use it before the due date of 11/11/06.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 5
reihtec
Old 01-11-2006, 6:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I was disappointed that they don't offer this deal for online shopping as I usually do my monthly shop online. I usually spend over £50 online so I can use the tesco online vouchers that you can get by searching the web and in other parts of this forum.

So I decided to work out which gave me a better saving. I worked out that I need about 50 litres to fill up my tank. 50 litres x 0.05p = £2.50. That is half the amount I save from the £5 voucher or sometimes you get over 500 points vouchers. If you get it delivered on a tuesday, delivery is only £3.99. I could bump up my shop to £75 and get £7.50 off as well. Remember this is my month's shopping for a small family of 3. The advantages of online shopping is that I save fuel and time and it's easier to find deals online and it's more difficult to do impulsive shopping online. Oh! If you have the cashback card that you pay of every month then you save even more.

I hope this helps some of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reihtec For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
yas247
Old 01-11-2006, 7:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady__eddie
Asda will knock 5p/litre off fuel if it is purchased with one of their credit cards.
LOL

Are you sure it's 5p as it used to be 2p, sadly no mention on Asda website.

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to yas247 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
yas247
Old 01-11-2006, 7:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Tesco con;

You cant use it in Tesco express garages run by Esso (how mis-leading) you have to use it in a Tesco garage.
# 8
gunton10
Old 01-11-2006, 7:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i got one looking to swap for something if its allowed on here pm me
The Following User Says Thank You to gunton10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
surfsister
Old 01-11-2006, 8:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yas247
LOL

Are you sure it's 5p as it used to be 2p, sadly no mention on Asda website.

thanks
No it is 2p perlitre and also free delivery on shopping if use an asda card and can comibine with codes too (might need to be over £50 on card) but funny has vanished from the website too popular maybe!

Tesco is 5p off perlitre using the voucher
# 10
barrwalk
Old 01-11-2006, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

TESCO Petrol discount
My local TESCO have put up the price by 4p and then offered a 5p voucher. The real discount if therefore 1p. per litre. Who are they fooling?
# 11
Munki
Old 01-11-2006, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The fuel at my local Tescos was 83.9p/l, and after I used the 5p voucher it brings it down to 78.9p/l.... unbelievable! I haven't bought fuel that cheap for ages! :-))

I can't say I've noticed my Tescos (or any other petrol station in my area) put the fuel prices up unless it was related to fuel rises. There is a lot of competition between garages and they all keep a close eye on each other.

M.
Nice to save.
# 12
lorraine
Old 01-11-2006, 9:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh123
Sorry to rain on this parade but I have actually written to Tesco to complain about the reappearance of this deal. I don't want the deal takne away, I wouldn't be so mean, but I do think it should be tuned to so that it is available to EVERYBODY.
This is what I have said to Tesco:

" Do you know how difficult it is for a single person, or someone on a reduced income to spend £50 in one transaction at the supermarket? Even at this time, with Christmas shopping to do, many people simply do not have the available finance to benefit from this “deal”.

Yet those who are shopping for larger families, or are better off, can benefit every time they shop.

I think this deal is elitist and discriminatory and it makes me mad that the supermarket that trades on “every little helps” is not helping the very people who may need it most.

It would make considerably more sense, and be a great deal more fair, if customers could save their till receipts (within a reasonable time frame) and claim their discounted fuel via customer services when they have reached a £50 spend. They way, we can all benefit."
I agreee I cannot afford a big spend in one shop like that without putting it on CC which I am terrible at times at paying. Also you think thats bad, I was in my local Tesco the other day and they are playing about with the car park again, so I was nosey and asked CS what they are doing and they said that they are putting the ticket barrier back up as it was being abused (in middle of town centre with 3 hours free parking) so I was ok not a problem, then she said that you had to spend a minimum of £20 I cannot believe it, I'm just praying that its chinese whispers, I always do my shopping in tesco and usually spend a little amount at a time, looks like I'll be going to Asda.
# 13
ksh123
Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraine
I agreee I cannot afford a big spend in one shop like that without putting it on CC which I am terrible at times at paying. Also you think thats bad, I was in my local Tesco the other day and they are playing about with the car park again, so I was nosey and asked CS what they are doing and they said that they are putting the ticket barrier back up as it was being abused (in middle of town centre with 3 hours free parking) so I was ok not a problem, then she said that you had to spend a minimum of £20 I cannot believe it, I'm just praying that its chinese whispers, I always do my shopping in tesco and usually spend a little amount at a time, looks like I'll be going to Asda.
£20!! Flippin 'eck - that would be ridiculous! I really hope they don't do that to you Lorraine
# 14
gobbyash
Old 01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have three 5p off per litre till spits available to the first three people to PM me with their address and click the thams button underneath this post.

regards

gobbyash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gobbyash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
IanMitchel
Old 01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question

Is it possible to by a 50 quid tv or something, get the discount voucher, use the voucher, then get a full cash refund for the item? Can they invalidate the voucher if its unused? or tell if you have used the voucher?

Anyone from TESCO know?

Ian
# 16
gobbyash
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Ian

The vouchers have a valid until date - usually 2 or 3 weeks from date of purchase.

gobby
# 17
cmorgan
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

[quote=reihtec]I was disappointed that they don't offer this deal for online shopping as I usually do my monthly shop online. I usually spend over £50 online so I can use the tesco online vouchers that you can get by searching the web and in other parts of this forum.

quote]

I actually got the 5p off with my online shop this week. It wasn't the usual till spit but a more substantial voucher headed www.tesco.com and with a serial nubmer on the bottom.

Happy days
# 18
IanMitchel
Old 01-11-2006, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question

Thanks,

I do understand that the vouchers have a valid date but my point was can you buy something to then get the voucher, use the voucher(while it's valid) then take what you bought back for a full refund.

Would they query that?

Ian
# 19
ksh123
Old 01-11-2006, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMitchel
Thanks,

I do understand that the vouchers have a valid date but my point was can you buy something to then get the voucher, use the voucher(while it's valid) then take what you bought back for a full refund.

Would they query that?

Ian

That's an idea Ian. I wonder if anyone knows?
# 20
gobbyash
Old 01-11-2006, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ian

Yes, you can do that but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to save £2.50 ie 5p a litre off 50 litres

gobby
Closed Thread