Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    JGWT8M
    Question about Bankruptcy, benefits & Council Housing.
    • 26th Oct 06, 3:54 AM
    Question about Bankruptcy, benefits & Council Housing. 26th Oct 06 at 3:54 AM
    I'll make this quick, at the moment I've sent proposals to my 5 creditors for token payments while I get back on my feet, my worry is one in particular, will not accept, Barclays, who I owe 20k on a sole trader business overdraft.

I think they will refuse my offer and go for bankrupcy, TBH I don't care what they do to me, they'll save me the 450 but my concern is at the moment we don't claim housing or CT benefit and me and the Mrs have a joint assured tennacy with the council (we don't claim because we can pay the rent and CT ok - my debts are from a bad business deal 3 years ago and they've finally caught up with me due to recession).

If I am declared bankrupt, what will happen with the tenancy?
    Will it be affected by the Bankrupcy? will we get kicked out? (It doesn't say anything in the agreement about it)
    If I am bankrupt, can we claim housing and council tax benefit - or is that my wife's entitlement?

At the moment, all we get is working tax credit and my income from self-employment, which ironically is enough to live, but not enough to satisfy the payments to the creditors (1x bank, 4 x cc).

These are my biggest concerns, we have a 3 year old son and the last thing I want is my mistake costing him his home.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,891Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter