PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freezing weather, no boiler for a month, withhold rent?

Options
Hi,

My situation is already detailed on this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2893362

However I've started a new thread to ask about the legal implications of withholding rent.

At this point we've got no options other than doing that, we've been advised that it's not wise to do that.

What are the legal implications? Will we face eviction? How long does it take before we're evicted?

We wouldn't mind it as long as the law gives us enough time (four/ five months hopefully) to find a better place.

Because the last thing I want is the law on the side of these thugs.

Thanks in advance,

Angie

Comments

• the.ciscokid
    Options
    As I understand it, (I am not an legal expert so don't take my word for it) you can pay for your boiler to be fixed, and deduct it from your rental payments.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    Don't just withhold rent. There is no point. You will be evicted (not instantly) & still be without heating in the meantime.

You can, however, pay to have the boiler repaired yourself, & then deduct this cost from the rent.

However, you must have a completely watertight paper trail. In your other thread you said you'd been calling people about the repair. Don't, you must write, keep a copy, & ideally send your letters recorded delivery so you have proof you sent them.

See here for more information

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/landlord_refusing_to_do_repairs
  • runninglea
    Options
    Instead of freezing, tell the landlord that they can get an engineer out today or you will and will take the repair out of their rent.

You can get british gas out same day.

Has the landlord tried to get it fixed but been let down by workman etc
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering about the legal implications of withholding rent? Because we've already cancelled the direct debit and I've read that's not a wise thing to do. How long is it before they can evict us? If they choose to do so in this weather.

Obviously we just want the boiler fixed but the only answer I can seem to get from them is they'll call us when they get the parts from the manufacturers, it could take a year, who knows? While we suffer in this frigid weather, it's already taken a month and I have a feeling that we're being lied to and they just want us out of the place so they can make more money off the commissions of renting/selling it.

I've just seen this on your other thread.

I'd recommend that you re-instate your direct debit. You've already been advised how to go about getting the boiler repaired.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    runninglea wrote: »
    Instead of freezing, tell the landlord that they can get an engineer out today or you will and will take the repair out of their rent....
    That's a sure fire way for the T to be (a) out of pocket and (b) in receipt of a retaliatory s21 notice at the earliest opportunity.

There are circumstances in which the T can organise repairs & seek reimbursement from the LL via the rent but there is a particular method to doing it. See Shelter's pdf "Guide to Getting Repairs Done"

LLs has to see to repairs within a "reasonable time" and should provide temp means of heating ( space & water) until repairs can be properly effected.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    tbs624 wrote: »
    That's a sure fire way for the T to be (a) out of pocket and (b) in receipt of a retaliatory s21 notice at the earliest opportunity.

..thats assuming their landlord isn't like me and gives them one the day they sign the tenancy agreement. They may already find that was the case and it seriously speeds things up.
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    ..thats assuming their landlord isn't like me and gives them one the day they sign the tenancy agreement. They may already find that was the case and it seriously speeds things up.

Hopefully you protect the deposit before serving the S21 or your notice is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure