Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Quick! Grabbit while you can > It's Gone, but was it any good? > Cheapest 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' for Xbox360/PS... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheapest 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' for Xbox360/PS3
Closed Thread
Views: 103,109
# 1
MSE Andrea
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Cheapest 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' for Xbox360/PS3

OFFICIAL MoneySavingExpert Post
What's this about?

Updated 9 November 2010

The newly released Call of Duty: Black Ops is being sold for around £45-50 by some major retailers. Yet it’s possible to cut this price down to £28, if you know where to look.

However, it's likely that if you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks, the cheapest prices will start to plummet further now. If you absolutely MUST HAVE it now,this is a rundown of all the current top deals in-store and online (all prices for both Xbox360 & PS3).

Do bear in mind this is a violent, 18 certificate game, so is suitable as a Christmas present for adults, not a stocking filler for kids!

Cheapest In-Store

• £28 at Sainsbury's when you SPEND £30. Until midnight Sun 14 Nov, Sainsbury’s is selling it for £27.97 (to be precise) when you spend another £30 or more in store on the same visit.
  • £37 at Asda. Asda has the game in stores for £36.97.
  • £25 in Tesco, with a £20ish add-ons. Until midnight Sun 14 Nov, Tesco is offering Black Ops for £25, when you buy add-ons with it - either

- 2100 XBox Live Points Card (£17.50)
    - 3 month Xbox Live Gold Membership (£17.50)
    - or a PS3 £20 PSN Card at the same time.

However it's likely you could get these extras for less elsewhere. Without the add-ons, Black-ops would cost £39.90.
  • £30 in Morrisons, with another chart game. Until Sun 14 Nov, Morrisons is selling the game for £29.99, when you buy any other Xbox 360 or PS3 chart game at the same time. Otherwise the price is £39.99.
  • £20 at PC World/Dixons/Currys when you SPEND £50. PC World, Dixons and Currys are selling the game for £19.99, when you spend £50 or more in store at the same time. The £50 spend does not include the game purchase. If you're not spending over £50 the game is £39.99.

Cheapest Online

• £37 Zavvi Outlet on eBay. Zavvi is selling the Xbox 360 version for £36.89, with free postage. You have to pay via Paypal so only buy if you have an account. There are 3,000 available at this price and if they've not already been sold beforehand the offer will end on Wed 17 Nov.
  • £37 Amazon. Amazon* is selling the game for £36.97, with free postage.
  • £38 at Sainsbury's. Sainsbury's online is selling the game for £37.97 with free delivery.
  • £25 at Tesco, with £20ish a £17.50 points or membership card. Until midnight Sun 14 Nov, Tesco* is offering Black Ops for £25, when you buy add-ons with it - either

- 2100 XBox Live Points Card (£17.50)
    - 3 month Xbox Live Gold Membership (£17.50)
    - or a PS3 £20 PSN Card at the same time.

However it's likely you could get these extras for less elsewhere. Without the add-ons, Black-ops would cost £39.90.
  • £25 at Game and Gamestation as part of a bundle. Game and Gamestation are selling Black Ops for £24.99 but only if you buy it along with another game from:

Fallout New Vegas, Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, Halo Reach, Red Dead Redemption, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011, Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, DJ Hero 2 and WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011.

You'd pay £64.98 in total and delivery's free within the UK.
  • £20 at PC World/Dixons/Currys when you SPEND £50. PC World, Dixons and Currys are selling the game for £19.99, when you spend £50 or more in store at the same time. The £50 spend does not include the game purchase. If you're not spending over £50 the game is £39.99.

Trade-in Offers

Trade-in offers are available for Black Ops but many of the games you need to trade in are so new you'll probably have paid a fair whack for them only recently.
  • 99p in Blockbuster stores. Trade in two games from the list below and you can get it on XBox 360 or PS3 for 99p.
    • PS3: Star Wars The Force Unleashed II, MMA and F1 2010
    • XBox 360: Medal of Honor Limited Edition, Fable III and Fallout New Vegas.
  • £5 in Asda stores. Use Asda's 'Buy, Play, Trade' service to trade in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Fallout New Vegas, or Fable III and you can pick up Black Ops for £4.97.
  • £10 in Bestbuy.co.uk stores. If you've a copy of F1 or Dead Rising 2 you no longer want take them in to your nearest store and you can pick up Black Ops for £9.99. Bestbuy has six stores; Liverpool, Croydon, Thurrock, Derby, Southampton and Birmingham Merry Hill. To find the stores use the Bestbuy store finder.

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free

Thanks to all MoneySavers who've posted their top spots, we've started this new discussion thread to discuss these deals

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or affiliate sites, this then means if you end up getting a product this site gets revenue

You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things we write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, its still listed in the same way. The following links amazon.co.uk, tesco.com are identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click on the following link for more details on how this site's financed.

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 11-11-2010 at 5:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
supersaz78
Old 09-11-2010, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Can trade in other titles at Asda for Black Ops

Just back from Asda, traded in Fifa 11 and got Black Ops for only £8.97. Any new game that you want to trade in is getting a good price, and Black Ops is only £37 -if you have recently bought a game that you dont like is a good idea to trade it in at Asda and you should get a decent price for it. Other shops which are offering trade in deals have a small list of titles that they will accept, as far as I know there are no restrictions at Asda. EA sports who make Fifa have included a one-use only password for online gaming - for this reason I didnt think I'd be able to trade in/sell off Fifa so am very pleased. Bought it for boyfriend last month and he hates it - he traded in other games and got Pro Evo instead which he says is much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to supersaz78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
stef240377
Old 09-11-2010, 6:17 PM

Anyone know what the trade in value at Asda is for Halo Reach please?
Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
# 4
supersaz78
Old 09-11-2010, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default trade in price

I phoned to ask re Fifa and was told they have to scan it instore to give you the trade in price, but that all new games are getting around £30. I got £28 for Fifa 11.
# 5
c l a i r e
Old 09-11-2010, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef240377 View Post
Anyone know what the trade in value at Asda is for Halo Reach please?
Its £21 for the 360 game.
C'est la vie
# 6
squinty
Old 09-11-2010, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bought from Best Buy online for £29.99 (xbox and PS3 versions - PC is more expensive). Don't forget 4% cashback through Quidco which if my maths are right makes £28.80.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squinty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
trets77
Old 09-11-2010, 8:46 PM

my advice is to wait . this game isn't a patch on Modern Warfare 2 (multi player ) IMO .

when more people find this out they will flood Ebay with copies . my copy went on four hours after buying . i'm not bothering to waste time investing in a inferior multi player game , when Modern Warfare 2 still cuts the mustard .

it has some very good ideas , in Wager matches , customisation and currency and there are loads of weapons . BUT the Maps are poor , the graphics are no where near the standard of MW2 , the guns don't feel right , grenades pop rather than boom , sniper rifles are like pea shooters and the overall multiplayer game play feels like a cheap sequel .

it's a bit like the movie Back to the future 2 . alright and adequate as a stand alone , but not a patch on the master piece that was before it .

Infinity Ward will hopefully come back and make Modern Warfare 3 in 12 months . in the mean time i'm off back to MW2
Better in my pocket than theirs

Last edited by trets77; 09-11-2010 at 9:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trets77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MSE Andrea
Old 09-11-2010, 9:06 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinty View Post
Bought from Best Buy online for £29.99 (xbox and PS3 versions - PC is more expensive). Don't forget 4% cashback through Quidco which if my maths are right makes £28.80.
Hi squinty,

We haven't included Bestbuy online's offer in the first post as it sold out earlier today - it was for the first 1,000 customers only unfortunately.

Andrea

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
# 9
ChezAllen
Old 09-11-2010, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinty View Post

Was that first thing this morning ?, as it has been showing sold out since i believe they only had 1000 copies.
# 10
aaranj
Old 09-11-2010, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you manage to get to a Best Buy store before they close tonight (I think they close at 10pm), you can pick up a copy for £29.99 with NO minimum spend.
Mega Doctor Who, Gadget and MSE Fan!
If you found my post helpful then please click "Thanks"
# 11
stolt
Old 09-11-2010, 9:52 PM

stopped by the thurrock branch and got my copy, was talking to one of the lads and he reckons thta online for £29.99 will happen again so may keep checking each day, apparently they run the same offer as preorder for 1000 copies aswell so might be worth holding out if you cant be bothered driving around....
Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
# 12
ccblinds
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default black ops

if you open an account with very.co.uk they give you £15.00 off
which made black ops £30 plus £3.95 p & P
pre ordered and it arrived on release date
# 13
claire21
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccblinds View Post
if you open an account with very.co.uk they give you £15.00 off
which made black ops £30 plus £3.95 p & P
pre ordered and it arrived on release date

catalogue codes you should be very careful with, anyone who has been here some time will tell you the pitfalls - I have not looked into the code you have used but noticed when a thread was started about buying from catalogues it got moved to another section and the voucher code in the discount board got locked. If this is going out in the newsletter I don't think it's as easy as saying get it from X with a code. I am a big bargain shopper and have never used a catalogue code to get a bargain. The code you used may be fine but please anyone else really look into this as these companies have come back to people later looking for the extra money.
# 14
The Old Bag
Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trets77 View Post
my advice is to wait . this game isn't a patch on Modern Warfare 2 (multi player ) IMO .

when more people find this out they will flood Ebay with copies . my copy went on four hours after buying . i'm not bothering to waste time investing in a inferior multi player game , when Modern Warfare 2 still cuts the mustard .

it has some very good ideas , in Wager matches , customisation and currency and there are loads of weapons . BUT the Maps are poor , the graphics are no where near the standard of MW2 , the guns don't feel right , grenades pop rather than boom , sniper rifles are like pea shooters and the overall multiplayer game play feels like a cheap sequel .

it's a bit like the movie Back to the future 2 . alright and adequate as a stand alone , but not a patch on the master piece that was before it .

Infinity Ward will hopefully come back and make Modern Warfare 3 in 12 months . in the mean time i'm off back to MW2
Thanks for this.
DS wants to buy Black ops..... because it is the newest release.
In past he has said he wasn't going to bother getting newest releases..... but then on the release date when everyone else at school is talking about their new game, he suddenly must buy it.
So we miss out on any pre-release offers/deals, and we pay full whack for a game which isn't that good.

But next time there is a new game he has to have it again !!!
I will get him to read your post, but chances are he will still want it.
# 15
Little_miss_morrissey
Old 10-11-2010, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I dont think the Tesco deal is available in every Tesco store is it? I was going to buy the xbox live 3 months to get it cheaper but dont think they are doing it in my local Tesco
# 16
PJohnson
Old 10-11-2010, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Trade in for £7.99

If you trade in Medal of Honor (both limited edition and normal) at HMV you get COD for £7.99.

Well worth it as it's only worth £20 on ebay.

Peter
# 17
Mic2904
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trets77 View Post

I am not sure, which game you are actually playing.

This is by far, I mean by far the best online gaming expirience I have ever had!

Graphics ok, fair enough they seem to be not as nice a some MW2 graphics, but everything else is top class. Dont forget that this game doesnt play in the same timeframe as MW, which means weapons are not as good/precise as in MW.

The Maps are insane! Small maps, middle size and large maps, everything you like and there is a map, where you can witness a Rocket Launch (Launch) which makes your controller shake. Bloody brilliant!

Combat Training (play against bots in various Skill level), Theater Mode (you can watch your recent games and create videoclips etc, meant to work against cheaters), the sound is absolutly awesome on a turtleneck headset. The weapons are great so far. The In Game Money works good and makes it more interesting.

I am not sure about the gamercard, which you can create yourself, but that might be, as I dont have any clue about colouring/painting and stuff.

btw: As usual these games need to be played in Hardcore Mode. Core mode give you a greater Liveline when shot, in Hardcore you are more or less dead, when you got it max 2 bullets.

For me: Well worth a buy!

Last edited by Mic2904; 10-11-2010 at 10:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mic2904 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
pokerpad
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I should get mine delivered today - hopefully!!!

I'm guessing some people like me went straight for Zombie mode.

What is it like? How many levels are there? Do they include the original 4 aswell?

Thanks
# 19
HandsomeJohnny
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpad View Post
I should get mine delivered today - hopefully!!!

I'm guessing some people like me went straight for Zombie mode.

What is it like? How many levels are there? Do they include the original 4 aswell?

Thanks
Zombies stinks of rip off this year..... Only one map unless you paid £20 extra for the Hardened Edition.

It's still pretty good though.

(Looking a few posts upwards it seems Infinity Ward have invaded MSE too!)
# 20
bennett2kuk
Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Zombie mode is an added extra just like it was in W@W. The money you pay really pays for the Single player and proper multiplayer modes. Playing these gets you incredible value for oney. Most games have about a 6 hour lifespan but COD is so addictive.

I bought mine for £36 odd in Asda, those who may be waiting for the prices to drop will be disappointed as the old Modern Warfare and MW 2 remain highly priced (and deservedly so) to this day.

Personally I prefer the feel of MW2 to this effort, not to say I don't really enjoy Black Ops, it's actually the first Treyarch game I haven't hated. And MW2 has been done to death now so this feels nice and new and fresh.

And for the record Back to the Future is hardly a "masterpiece". Grow up.

Last edited by bennett2kuk; 10-11-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Closed Thread