IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how to clean block paving
Closed Thread
Views: 107,142
# 1
urbanlegend11
Old 14-10-2006, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default how to clean block paving

We have had block paving done on our drive now for a couple of years and its starting to look abit groggy with moss,dirt etc.Now what is the best way to clean it?Some people have told me jet washing it brings it up well and others have said whatever you do dont jet wash it because it removes the sand!Any tips people?
# 2
ariba10
Old 14-10-2006, 3:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

Power washing is what I use.

If you want to kill off any growth (Moss or Weeds) before you start you could spray some bleach or weedkiller on it a few days earlier and you will find it cleans up quicker.
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ariba10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
mikeywills
Old 14-10-2006, 3:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You could try this, not sure if it works on block paving but paths come up a treat.

make up a solution of water and bleach, and spray over the area. Then leave it. When the rain comes it will clean up the area and wash away the solution.

I have seen this used on rendered walls, and the walls look as good as the day they were first painted 8 years on. The solution washed onto the pavements and had the desired effects there to.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeywills For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
urbanlegend11
Old 14-10-2006, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariba10
Power washing is what I use.

If you want to kill off any growth (Moss or Weeds) before you start you could spray some bleach or weedkiller on it a few days earlier and you will find it cleans up quicker.
Does this not damage the bricks by removing the sand?
# 5
bengraves38
Old 14-10-2006, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend11
We have had block paving done on our drive now for a couple of years and its starting to look abit groggy with moss,dirt etc.Now what is the best way to clean it?Some people have told me jet washing it brings it up well and others have said whatever you do dont jet wash it because it removes the sand!Any tips people?
Hey, Them people are right if you jet wash it will remove the sand but it is not the end of the world.
Follow this plan and you driveway will look spot on for years.
1 Remove any large weeds with a small wallpaper scraper.
2 Jet wash the whole area (yes i said jet wash it!!!) LOL
3 Now wait untill you get a dry day HA HA! (preferably not too long after you jet wash it). Buy a couple of bags of kiln dried sand from your local builders merchant and use a soft brush to sweep it into all the gaps. Leave the excess sand on the top if you can and brush it round a couple of times over the next few days.
4 This is the expensive bit but it's worth it. Go and buy a top quality block paving sealer from a builders merchant (you get what u pay 4!!!!!) NOT B&Q they will take you eyes out for it!!!! Expect to pay around 35 for 5 litres. Apply this to the drive not only will it keep it weed free it also gives the blocks the "wet look" for a good few years.

Hope i was of help to you.
Ben
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bengraves38 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Bambam
Old 14-10-2006, 11:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My H uses one of those weed burner thingies which gets rid of all that moss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bambam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Lord_Gardener
Old 15-10-2006, 7:42 AM

Have a look at this site - should have all the info you require!

http://www.pavingexpert.com/archv100.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord_Gardener For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
urbanlegend11
Old 15-10-2006, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks for all the ideas people.bengraves38 that sounds like a really good plan ill have to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to urbanlegend11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Ryan_Hughes
Old 28-07-2009, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Excellent Paving Cleaning Service

Hi Guys,

I had this problem - we had some block paving laid about 9 years ago and it was covered in moss and god knows what else... I found the number of the guy that originally laid it as we were considering getting the whole thing re-done. Turns out he also offers a pressure water cleaning service - got him round to clean it up and now it looks like it did when it was first laid 9 years ago! The tool he used was amazing, it's works like a normal pressure washer but it's on a spinning head so it covers a big area (about 30cm).

It only removes the top couple of inches of sand between the joints because the water is directed at an angle rather than straight down between the joints and so wont disturb the placing of the blocks - when ours had dried he re-sanded it and it looked brand new again! Saved us a few thousand pounds!

His service was excellent and I thought you guys might appreciate knowing about it... His name is Robert and he covers the Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire areas (maybe others as well?). The tool he uses can clean ALL hard surfaces in your garden - slabs, block paving, garden furniture, sculptures etc. Give Robert a call at Paving Clean Solutions on 07753 911329 .

Check out www. pavingcleansolutions.co.uk for some examples!

Cheers guys
# 10
Clive Woody
Old 28-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Hughes View Post
Hi Guys,

The tool he used was amazing, it's works like a normal pressure washer but it's on a spinning head so it covers a big area (about 30cm).
You can buy these attachments for most standard pressure washers. I used one to do my drive, it made cleaning it nice and simple.

This sort of thing...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher...8780703&sr=8-3
Rugby Union - The Greatest Game

Leicester Tigers - English Rugby's greatest team - Champions again

# 11
Ryan_Hughes
Old 28-07-2009, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

They are rubbish in comparison though - they might get a thin layer of grime off of very smooth slabs, but wont touch rough surfaces where the dirt has been ingrained...

The one Rob uses is attached to a strong petrol engine pump, which is much stronger than an electric one you can buy from the shops...

It is a really cost effective way of getting your drive to look like new again, and he can do in 2 hours what it will take you a couple of days to do with an electric powered pressure washer and lance.

Check out some of the pictures on the website,
www. PavingCleanSolutions.co.uk to get an idea of just how good it is.

Cheers
# 12
Fire Fox
Old 28-07-2009, 1:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Spam reported.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Ryan_Hughes
Old 28-07-2009, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's a shame some people feel they need to be Forum Cops...

This is a forum about saving money and spending money effectively... the service I posted about is a cost-effective way of cleaning your paving. You could buy the cheap kits to attach to your cheap Karcher machine, but that would be false economy because they are rubbish - I'd know, I've used them!

So thanks for making something out of nothing. I hope reporting "spam" makes you feel big.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan_Hughes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
ncooper1974
Old 28-07-2009, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

are you by any chance related?
or is it just coincidence that they have the same surname as you?
# 15
Ryan_Hughes
Old 28-07-2009, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wow I was waiting for someone to ask that. No, Hughes is a fairly common name, and it is a coincidence. If I had created the Username just to spam this thread, I would have taken that into consideration. In truth, I'm a skint ex-student looking for ways of saving cash, but thanks for the subtle accusation. I hope every member of this forum is as untrusting as you 2.

If I had personal gain from promoting the service, I would have put it in the referals sections.

Thanks

Ryan
# 16
gmgmgm
Old 28-07-2009, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So you're an ex-student (likely age then 21) and you had paving done nine years ago?

For a twelve-year-old, that's impressive!

Spam.
The Following User Says Thank You to gmgmgm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Ryan_Hughes
Old 28-07-2009, 2:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

OK so no-one likes admitting they still live at home with their parents... you'll notice the use of "we" and "us" a lot in what I wrote... I was refering to my them. :rolleyes:
# 18
savemoney
Old 28-07-2009, 3:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Nice to see Ryan you bump up a old thread just to promote that company, looks very much like

Ps you cant post that in referral forum either

I thanked you by mistake
sorry can only type with one hand as i broke my wrist
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread