Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • khampson
    • By khampson 16th Oct 10, 10:52 AM
    • 337Posts
    • 20Thanks
    khampson
    What temperature should boiler be set at for heating and water?
    • 16th Oct 10, 10:52 AM
    What temperature should boiler be set at for heating and water? 16th Oct 10 at 10:52 AM
    Hi I have a 3 bedroom semi and have just has a new potterton yearned he combo boiler fitted, at what temp should my heating and water be set at so that I am not burning gas I don't really need?

Regards Keith
Page 1
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 16th Oct 10, 12:16 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:16 PM
    I used to turn mine down to the lowest possible setting. It was comfortable to have a bath in without adding nearly any cold water. Didn't see the point in nuking water to 98C only to add half a bath of cold to it!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
    • st999
    • By st999 16th Oct 10, 12:38 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    st999
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:38 PM
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:38 PM
    If the temperature of the water circulating round the radiators is too low it will take ages for the house to heat up.

So it is a trade off on how fast you want the house to heat up, against how much money you want to spend.

No money spent, no heat. Money spent, gives heat.

Experiment.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:56 PM
    • 16th Oct 10, 12:56 PM
    I can't speak for all combi boilers, as I'm not that technical, but certainly on my system the radiators are on a separate loop to the water that comes through the taps. So the temperature that I set the water to has no bearing on the temperature of the radiators, which is controlled by a separate thermostat.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
    • malnik
    • By malnik 16th Oct 10, 11:15 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    malnik
    • 16th Oct 10, 11:15 PM
    • 16th Oct 10, 11:15 PM
    My Ideal boiler sets the temperature for the hot water and radiator water. Turn it up, the hot water gets hotter and the radiators get hotter.
    I have the same question, whats the optimum temp for fast heating and hot water without burning lots of gas?
    • st999
    • By st999 17th Oct 10, 12:26 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    st999
    • 17th Oct 10, 12:26 AM
    • 17th Oct 10, 12:26 AM
    I have the same question, whats the optimum temp for fast heating and hot water without burning lots of gas?
    Experiment. Whatever works for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,921Posts Today

6,575Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • All good now with Cheap Energy Club - the new EDF blagged tariff that'll typically save most £340/yr is now live... https://t.co/soY0xIgT0s

• Very sorry that Cheap Energy Club is struggling, the tech team are on it full pace.

• RT @Income_MAX: RESEARCH PROJECT: We're looking for people living without a bank account for a confidential research project https://t.co/O?

• Follow Martin