Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ainternational
    New business website/e-commerce recommendations?
    • 6th Oct 10, 5:32 PM
    New business website/e-commerce recommendations? 6th Oct 10 at 5:32 PM
    I want to set up a new online business and am unsure as to which way to go.

Have had meeting with a very talented designer who would be able to provide a beautiful-looking site with e-commerce, blog, email, mailing list collection, etc etc, that I could then update and manage: he has quoted £700 for design and around £800 for the e-commerce content plus £25pm hosting - this includes all set-up/training etc, and looks to be a quality job (and not unreasonable, though a bit much for me right now). Whilst I'm in no doubt that I'd end up with a really classy site, I'm undecided as to the wisdom of shelling out so much at start-up, especially as I've since spoken to a friend who has an established online business, who's recommended using Zen Cart.

Having read posts on this forum, I see Zen Cart are maybe not the greatest: I certainly don't rate the look of my friend's site, but can see the sense in keeping things simple/cheap to start with.

My site will consist of three interlinked sections: a shop selling vintage items, an online consultancy service, and a blog that both acts as link to the two businesses and as a resource for the sphere of business I'm in. As I'm selling vintage items, the listings will change regularly - no two alike - and I want to keep the old listings archived as part of the resource.

Any advice from either those with online businesses, or designers, would be much-appreciated.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,886Posts Today

10,571Users online

Martin's Twitter