Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Flimber
    • By Flimber 5th Oct 06, 2:49 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Flimber
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:49 PM
    Working here - via Telewest - but v.v. slow.
  • ianfao
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:53 PM
    Someone has just told me it was in The Times today so maybe there is an overload on the website.
  • Foxy1075
    Ah, but have you tried actually seraching for a number? One in every 5 tries takes me through to the homepage, but every time I try to search for a number it crashes. I've Just noticed the link comment to the Times newspaper for today. !!!!!!, the secrets out. The Whole Of Britain now knows and everyones crashing the system I reckon! How harsh is that? I thought it was our little secret!
    • flyer
    • By flyer 5th Oct 06, 2:57 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    flyer
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:57 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:57 PM
    I can't get on at the moment and I use it a lot!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • Foxy1075
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:01 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:01 PM
    Yeah I use it pretty much every day as well, after doing a search of previous posts I've noticed the guy who runs the site is a moneysaving member so I've sent him a private e-mail, but there's been no reply as yet. Hopefully it'll calm down when copies of today's Times have been binned, but if not I suppose he'll have to increase capacity, and we're knackered for now! Are there any alternative sites that anyone know of?
    • wishiwasarichgirl
    • By wishiwasarichgirl 5th Oct 06, 3:02 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 6,335 Thanks
    wishiwasarichgirl
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:02 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:02 PM
    it was mentioned on the news on the bbc earlier, the sites probably just v busy
    WigglyFB

• Sting
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:05 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:05 PM
    it also got a mention on the thisismoney website today. Everyone is probably logging on - great if you ask me, I never liked 0870 numbers!

It is a shame I can't log on as I got a letter from my car insurance company saying they are going to automatically renew my policy with them unless I tell them otherwise on an 0870 number. Got a much cheaper quote elsewhere.
  • Foxy1075
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:12 PM
    Say No To 0870 - A Possible Solution.
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:12 PM
    There is an alternative Sting, but only if you know the town that your Car Insurance providers are in, it uses the basis that saynoto0870.com use for some of their numbers:
    Go to Google type in the name of the town and search for the STD code, ie. Chelmsford STD, then when you've got the code (01245), use google again, type in for example Direct Line 01245 and see what comes up, I use it all the time when saynoto0870 doesn't list a number, it works. Try it!!!
  • Foxy1075
    Say No To 0870 - A Possible Solution (number 2)
    There is another alternative I sometimes use, and only just remembered. If you own an O2 contract phone, either On or Offline dialling an 0800, 0870, 0845 and 0844 number can be included in any inclusive minutes you might have. As far as I know this only works with O2 mobiles, and definitely doesn't include 0871 numbers or 070 numbers so be careful. I've even got an e-mail from an O2 employee confirming this! Good Luck mate. :rolleyes:
  • TonyB
    On 'The Wright Stuff ' this a.m. and rather smugly Wright gave thumbs up for announcement that "WE DON'T MAKE A PROFIT ON OUR 0871 No."!!! Bullhit!

Might be protest break thro time if some of us contact him as I have & suggest that he speaks to Martin Lewis who frequently appears on that prog.

Just an idea!!

As usual, off to pub! TonyB
  • bbb_uk
    The website for doing number searches is currently working it's just forum access that isn't.

It now displays a message as follows:-

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS: Due to todays article in 'The Times' we are receiving a far higher number of visitors to normal. As such, you may be experiencing problems accessing certain parts of the website. Please bear with us, and try again later. Thanks for your support.
    The times article was mentioned in this thread.

This is all good publicity except I can see the likes of BA, etc that will get complaints now to remove their geographical number so people are then forced to ring an 0870.
    SayNoTo0870.com
    • BASIL
    • By BASIL 5th Oct 06, 7:16 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    BASIL
    was also in a different free london paper. - made it sound like it was brand new - not something those of us who are clued up use all the time!
  • bbb_uk
    Might I suggest that you save your alternative numbers that you use a lot somewhere as I can anticipate the site being very busy for the next few days possibly even longer as more and more people are made aware of the real cost of these numbers and start looking for alternatives themselves.
    SayNoTo0870.com
  • bbb_uk
    The site is up and running now. I suspect though that due to over-demand it may go down again.

I noticed it was in the Daily Mail today as well here as well.
    Last edited by bbb_uk; 05-10-2006 at 8:05 PM.
    SayNoTo0870.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

589Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter