Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Frances63
    Neighbours tree/bush blocking my light and overhanging my property.
    • 3rd Oct 10, 1:58 PM
    Neighbours tree/bush blocking my light and overhanging my property. 3rd Oct 10 at 1:58 PM
    I have a neighbour who is trying to get a restrictive covenant removed that would enable him to build a 2-storey front extension. I have the benefit of that covenant and have refused to lift it and now he has applied to the Lands Tribunal for a 'modification' to which I must object.

He has planted a fast-gowing buddleia bush (tree?) which is now about 20 feet tall right up against the front boundary wall (just a low wall) between the two houses. The main branch comes over my property and 2 other branches dont. This is a blatent attempt to block out my light so that he can argue that the proposed extension won't make a difference to my light as the bush blocks it out anyway. I have been advised to cut down the parts that overhang my property but I would like my neighbour to have the chance to do this himself first.

I have compiled a letter, & wonder if this is ok to send as it is? :-

Dear Mr. ****

Please arrange to have the fast-growing buddleia tree/bush in your front garden either removed or pruned so that it is taken back to the boundary line and no part of it overhangs my property.

If you do not action this request within 14 days of receipt of this letter I will arrange to have this done and any expense incurred will be charged to you.

Yours faithfully

Is there anything wrong with the above? Anything I should add or remove? Would 7 days notice be acceptable, or must it be 14?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Frances63; 03-10-2010 at 2:25 PM. Reason: typos
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

6,255Users online

Martin's Twitter