Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    JimMac70
    Santander Consumer Finance - Car Personal Loan
    • 19th Sep 10, 5:12 PM
    Santander Consumer Finance - Car Personal Loan 19th Sep 10 at 5:12 PM
    Just under a year ago I purchased a vehicle from a local Ford Dealer and they sourced the finance via Santander Consumer Finance but this was not a standard Hire Purchase styled finance but a Personal Loan. Now this wasn't a concern to me as the rate was very competitive and as it was a personal loan this meant that this finance wasn't attached to the vehicle like standard HP agreements are.

In the last week I contacted a dealer about possibly looking at another car and I was asked the question if my current vehicle had any outstanding finance. As the rate on this loan was good and I was going to use some additional saved funds to pay the difference I thought I would just keep the same loan so I said that it hadn't any outstanding finance because I knew that the finance was a personal loan. To my embarrassment the dealer came back saying that the HPI check listed the car being financed by Santander and that would have to be settled first. I explained that this is very odd because I had confirmed already with Santander that the loan wasn't attached to the vehicle. He did say that it is listed as a Personal Loan but as it was on the HPI register it would have to be settled before they would look at the vehicle.

I contacted Santander back and they said that yes it is registered on HPI but as a personal loan. They said that they are a car finance company so they add the details of the finance to the HP register as a matter of course and it entirely depends on how it was set up. They then said it would be up to a dealer to take a decision/chance on this but if contacted by a dealer they would be happy to say that they have no interest in the vehicle.

So my questions are:

How can a finance company register information on the HPI database against a vehicle that they have no interest in?

Can I force them to remove such an entry?

Is this in anyway against consumer finance law or a breach of the Personal Loan agreement I have with them, (of which I am now reading in depth further)?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,572Posts Today

6,735Users online

Martin's Twitter