New York - How much spending money for 7 nights...

Options
Hi,

Me and the OH are off to New York (first time, cannot wait!) in early october.

We are going for 7 nights and staying in times square - we have had to really save up for the holiday, and beginning to worry a little about how much spending money we will need.

How much do you reckon for 7 nights? we will need to cover all food and drink.

We have already bought city passes, which gets us into most of the major touristy places.

Any tips also appreciated!

Thanks!!

Comments

• FOURCANDLES_2
    Options
    £100 per day for 2
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't advise you how much to take as it's a few years since I've been & I'm cheap :D

But tips

TAKE A GOOD PAIR OF WALKING SHOES

And you have obviously planned the touristy things so that's good, but one place we discovered by chance was
    http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/congregation/spc/about

The display was so moving it was unreal - and we've recommended other people to go & they've all loved it.

And ask round the family to see if anyone has researched the family tree - I saw my great-uncle's signature on the books at Ellis Island - it was really moving in a weird way.

And enjoy, enjoy & enjoy
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wooly wooly wooly!!

Depends how much you want to spend:

Bagel for breakfast, hot dog for lunch, burger for dinner few soft drinks through the day sure you could get away with $100 between the 2 of you for a day.

Pancakes for breakfast, shake shack for lunch, steak with a couple of beers for dinner, $200+ for a day.

Its really is a "how long is a piece of string question"
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience, think of a figure, double it and then add some. You'll still be running round looking for a cash machine which takes your card towards the end! But maybe that's just me.
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    mikeyboy wrote: »
    Hi,

Me and the OH are off to New York (first time, cannot wait!) in early october.

We are going for 7 nights and staying in times square - we have had to really save up for the holiday, and beginning to worry a little about how much spending money we will need.

How much do you reckon for 7 nights? we will need to cover all food and drink.

We have already bought city passes, which gets us into most of the major touristy places.

Any tips also appreciated!

Thanks!!

i am going early oct aswell 2 adults and a child for 6 nights stopping madison avenue,already got tickets for ESD,TOTR,liberty crown pass,central park zoo and a show on Sun afternoon just need to pay for taxi jfk-manhattan and car transfer back jfk.
    i am taking about £1300 for food/drinks and shopping also got back up debit card should it be needed(wife and shopping gets expensive)
  • CAE
    CAE Posts: 644 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2010 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Quote from Clootiesmum

'And you have obviously planned the touristy things so that's good, but one place we discovered by chance was
    http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/congregation/spc/about

The display was so moving it was unreal - and we've recommended other people to go & they've all loved it.'

Off to New York in 10 days so thanks for this link.

Watching a programme on Channel 4 +1 at the moment about 9/11. Very moving.
  • mikeyboy
    Options
    Thanks All!!! I figure £1500 should be about right for the majority of what we need and do. Just need to try and resist the shops!!!
    Thanks again!
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    first time we took $2000 for two of us for 7 nights, second time we took $1800.

We only have a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and use public transport the rest of the time.

This time, who knows what we will take :S
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    Me and my OH took £1000 for 4 nights. We got the Liberty Airport Express bus in from Newark Airport rather than taking a taxi, think it was about $25 return each, and made really good use of our all loops Grayline bus ticket for getting around. We got our tickets to Rock of Ages at the TKTS booth a few hours before curtain up. We did find drinks and food to be quite dear, though found a little deli place in Times Square, think it was called Carmines, didn't look much from outside but the food was lovely and was more reasonable.
    There's definitely ways to save. I'm sure lots of others on the board will have good advice for you.
    Have a fab time :-)
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • Mr_Lahey2
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Thanks for the wise words.

Noticed you are now MrL2! Did you get banned again?

Im just too knowledgeable for these forums and the moderators feel threatened by me.

What can I say, I even impress myself sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure