Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    souwesterly
    British Gas Prepayment Card Replacement
    • 28th Aug 10, 9:08 PM
    British Gas Prepayment Card Replacement 28th Aug 10 at 9:08 PM
    As an (admittedly) low income person, I prefer to pay for my gas and electricity in advance with a prepayment card and key.
    As a way of avoiding a monthly or quarterly shock, it works, although I obviously pay more for my heating and power.
    But that’s not what I’m writing about…..

Today I put Ł20 on my British Gas card (enough for almost 2 weeks) and having got home I stuck it in the meter slot. A long ‘beeeeeeep’ signalled that it hadn’t been accepted. I pulled it out and shoved it back in with a bit of pressure – which usually works. A quick ‘snap’ and I was left holding half a card!
    Fortunately I was able to extract the other half from the meter….and so I phoned British Gas.

“You’ll have to buy another card – they’re Ł8” she said. I saved my expletives for later…..
    I said that it had been a pain getting it to be accepted by the meter – that the shop said it was probably faulty or worn out; implying that the card needed replacing by British Gas, presumably.
    “You should have ordered another one” she said without emotion.

No joy on that tack – so where do I get a new card?
    From my local Cash Point shop…..then I have to bring it home; stick it in the meter for a few minutes and then go back to the shop and put some money on it.
    “So what happens to the Ł20 I’ve put on the old card?” I asked, “And who pays for all the petrol to get me to the shop and back again?” (I can’t walk far without pain)

No chance of a travel voucher (no surprise!!) So she gave me an address to return the old card to. When will I get the money back? “It takes about 3 weeks to process a refund” she said.

Now fortunately I have some cash put aside but as a basic income pensioner, I don’t have a lot of cash to spare. So not only do I pay over the odds for gas but I’ve had to spend Ł8 and buy some more gas – and I’ve ‘lost’ Ł20 for 3 weeks.

Is that the best that British Gas can do?
    Feeble service in my opinion.

So don’t lose or break your Gas card – it’ll hurt you more than it hurts British Gas
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,871Posts Today

8,436Users online

Martin's Twitter