Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PrimaDonna
    Great 'cheap smell-a-like perfumes' Hunt
    • 26th Aug 10, 7:42 PM
    Great 'cheap smell-a-like perfumes' Hunt 26th Aug 10 at 7:42 PM
    Update Dec 2014:

We've updated our Cheap Perfumes guide, which links through to this Great Hunt. Take a look and let us know what you think

-------

Great 'cheap smell-a-like perfumes hunt' Hunt

Check out the list below of dirt-cheap dead ringers for posh perfumes sniffed out by MoneySavers, and add your own by hitting reply.

Back to the original post ...

I am doing my sister a hamper for Xmas and was going to add a small bottle of her fav perfume, D&G Light Blue. I stopped off in M&S for the sale and sniffed out the perfume. I was shocked to come across Azure Breeze which smells exactly the same as Light Blue and is £12 for 100ml! I also brought myself Next Diamonds which smells like Miss Dior Cherie.

So far, I have sniffed out the following:

Next Just Pink - Ralph Lauren Romance
    Next Diamonds - Miss Dior Cherie
    Next Define - Armani She
    M&S True Red - Hugo Boss Deep Red
    M&S Azure Breeze - D&G Light Blue
    M&S Isis - L'eau de Issey
    Zara Collection - Chanel Chance

Anyone have any others they can add? x

View past Great Hunts.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Page 1
  • adelight
    • 26th Aug 10, 8:24 PM
    • 26th Aug 10, 8:24 PM
    Mmm very interesting! I'll have to try some of those out! I love how similar some of those names are...
  • RoseFairy
    • 27th Aug 10, 2:58 PM
    • 27th Aug 10, 2:58 PM
    theres a thread somewhere here too about other cheap smell alikes....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=869985&highlight=cheap+smell+alik es
  • clueless8556
    • 15th Dec 10, 8:55 AM
    • 15th Dec 10, 8:55 AM
    OMG, really thats amazing to know, what Zara perfume smells like Chanel Chance? Thats my fav perfume of all time but its so pricey. Thanks again for the info.
    • tara747
    • By tara747 15th Dec 10, 10:24 AM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 26,503 Thanks
    tara747
    • 15th Dec 10, 10:24 AM
    • 15th Dec 10, 10:24 AM
    I am doing my sister a hamper for Xmas and was going to add a small bottle of her fav perfume, D&G Light Blue. I stopped off in M&S for the sale and sniffed out the perfume. I was shocked to come across Azure Breeze which smells exactly the same as Light Blue and is £12 for 100ml! I also brought myself Next Diamonds which smells like Miss Dior Cherie.

So far, I have sniffed out the following:

Next Just Pink - Ralph Lauren Romance
    Next Diamonds - Miss Dior Cherie
    Next Define - Armani She
    M&S True Red - Hugo Boss Deep Red
    M&S Azure Breeze - D&G Light Blue
    M&S Isis - L'eau de Issey
    Zara Collection - Chanel Chance

Anyone have any others they can add? x
    Originally posted by PrimaDonna
    Thanks for this! I like L'eau d'Issey but hardly ever buy perfume as I can't justify the cost. Must check these out...
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs
    Save £120,000 by 31 Dec 2017! Dec 2011: £54,342 * Dec 2012: £62,200 * Dec 2013: £74,127 * Dec 2014: £84,839 * Dec 2015: £95,207 * Dec 2016: £109,122
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £1,972.02
  • Beketaten
    • 18th May 11, 4:49 PM
    • 18th May 11, 4:49 PM
    In addition to those above, here are some of the dupes I have found in these stores:

M&S Sensuale = Chanel Allure
    M&S Butterfly = Marc Jacobs Daisy
    M&S Per Una Limited Edition = Chanel Coco Mademoiselle

Next Signature = Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    Next Flowers = Marc Jacobs Daisy
    Next Just Pink = Ralph Lauren Romance

Last edited by Beketaten; 18-05-2011 at 5:07 PM.
  • Benson
    • 18th May 11, 9:55 PM
    • 18th May 11, 9:55 PM
    M&S also do one that is the same as ralph lauren Romance. It's one of the autograph perfumes. I've got both the m&s one and the RL one and they're practically identical!
  • skintlass
    • 18th May 11, 10:03 PM
    • 18th May 11, 10:03 PM
    Do you find the cheaper ones don't last as long? I love armani elle and have been searching for a deal for about a week.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.
  • Beketaten
    • 19th May 11, 4:35 PM
    • 19th May 11, 4:35 PM
    I found another today!

Next Rock Couture = Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb
    • littlecal
    • By littlecal 19th May 11, 5:59 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    littlecal
    Thank you SO much,have been out today and bought m&s Isis - put it on and when I got back to work,a friend said "when did you start wearing Issey?" What a result!!!!!!
    Give without remembering,receive without forgetting.
    • Daisygirl
    • By Daisygirl 21st May 11, 10:57 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Daisygirl
    Thanks for these, am going in town next week, am going for a good old sniff for my favourite ones!
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 21st May 11, 11:05 PM
    • 4,087 Posts
    • 11,490 Thanks
    Bronnie
    Thanks for the tip.

Bought M&S Butterfly today £6 for 25ml (£12 for 100ml but the small one I bought is holiday handbag size!) It is reminiscent of Marc Jacobs Daisy, but reminds me more of Armani Acqua di Gio, which I loved and haven't worn for about 10 years!

EDT, I sprayed it on at 3.30pm before work and can still smell it on my wrist now.

Result!
    Last edited by Bronnie; 22-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.
  • angelathewillows
    I wear Channel Coco Mademoiselle and it is expensive. The cheapest I have bought it is at the airport but it was only a few pounds cheaper.
    I bought Suddenly for £3.99 in Lidl after reading the article in the paper about it being blind tested with the real thing. I know some people will disagree but I think it does smell like the real thing and it is nice to be able to use it liberally!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 24-08-2011 at 4:52 PM.
  • ACID
    any help with mens please..
  • thesquire
    Tom Fords - Oud Wood
    Anyone know a good likeness for Tom Fords - Oud Wood Eau De Perfume? It's a Unisex Fragrance from his Private Blend collection.

It's very hard to come by the original let alone anything like it. The original is (To my knowledge) only sold in Harrods, Harvey Nichols and maybe Selfrages?

It's not the kind of sent that works well on all skin, but when it does, it's magic! To pre-empt some replies, I know Tom Ford had before already done an oud sent with M7, created under his direction for Yves Saint Laurent. In fact this is like a toned down version of M7. M7 was introduced in around 2002, but... (and what a ba*tard) he apparently took it back before leaving so it's no longer in production by YSL.

Anyway, to give you an idea as to what it's like, itís a dark-ish, earthy wood scent, as was M7, and the latterís bitter, almost medicinal undertone is still there (the notes for Oud Wood: rosewood, cardamom, Chinese pepper, oud, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla and amber). Itís lighter in Oud Wood though, and it doesnít last as long; overall, Oud Wood is a quieter fragrance, with the oud itself softened by the vanilla and other wood notes. It does have a nice bite to it, but it isnít nearly as heavily spiced as M7. God, can't believe I just typed that.. Maybe I should start reviewing wines or something?

Anyway, any recommendations gladly received.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 24th Aug 11, 9:19 AM
    • 11,395 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Bella by Primark - smells just like Lola by Marc Jacobs.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 24-08-2011 at 4:50 PM.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • CAR
    Anybody found a smell-a-like for Armani Acqua Di Gio Woman please?
  • HotAsTheMoon
    Anybody found a smell-a-like for Armani Acqua Di Gio Woman please?
    Originally posted by CAR
    Hi, someone further up the page said that M&S Butterfly smells a bit like Armani Acqua di Gio...
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 24-08-2011 at 4:51 PM.
  • sparepenge
    Anyone know a good likeness for Tom Fords - Oud Wood Eau De Perfume? It's a Unisex Fragrance from his Private Blend collection.

It's very hard to come by the original let alone anything like it. The original is (To my knowledge) only sold in Harrods, Harvey Nichols and maybe Selfrages?

It's not the kind of sent that works well on all skin, but when it does, it's magic! To pre-empt some replies, I know Tom Ford had before already done an oud sent with M7, created under his direction for Yves Saint Laurent. In fact this is like a toned down version of M7. M7 was introduced in around 2002, but... (and what a ba*tard) he apparently took it back before leaving so it's no longer in production by YSL.

Anyway, to give you an idea as to what it's like, it’s a dark-ish, earthy wood scent, as was M7, and the latter’s bitter, almost medicinal undertone is still there (the notes for Oud Wood: rosewood, cardamom, Chinese pepper, oud, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla and amber). It’s lighter in Oud Wood though, and it doesn’t last as long; overall, Oud Wood is a quieter fragrance, with the oud itself softened by the vanilla and other wood notes. It does have a nice bite to it, but it isn’t nearly as heavily spiced as M7. God, can't believe I just typed that.. Maybe I should start reviewing wines or something?

Anyway, any recommendations gladly received.
    Originally posted by thesquire
    Someone asked this on Basenotes & suggestions included YSL M7 as you've already mentioned, & Surrati's Oudh Tom which you can order samples of from zahras.com
    Last edited by sparepenge; 24-08-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: updae
  • SuzySF
    I find Noa, rather reminiscent of SJP Lovley (not quite as sickly) i am a bit funny with smells, and some smell quite sickly to me..my O/H bought me SJP and i couldnt wear it as often as i wanted due to the smell, so I went to Boots to the perfume dept (i know the girl there - she actually sold hubby SJP) and asked her for a close as poss likeness without the sicklyness...it worked !!

recap

Noa (about £13) for SJP Lovley (£30ish)
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,681Users online

Martin's Twitter