Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    WoundUp
    Bank stopped overdraft without telling me!!!
    • 23rd Aug 10, 6:12 PM
    Bank stopped overdraft without telling me!!! 23rd Aug 10 at 6:12 PM
    Hi,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a HUGE problem I have discovered today.

I went to my bank to withdraw some cash and knew I had a £200 overdraft but it was only showing my available credit. This had happened a few days ago but I assumed that there was a pending direct debit due out.

I suddenly realised that there was something wrong, as the debit would have cleared by today.

I have phoned the Bank today and have been informed that as of the 29th of June, my overdraft facility was removed. The lady in the lending centre could not see why this had happened on the system. She said my current account looked ok and there was no reason for this on the system.

I relied on my overdraft every month as my bills have been a bit heavier recently and now have so many charges, that I wrongly assumed were given to me as I had gone over my overdraft. These charges were because I had no overdraft.

Can Banks do this without telling you first? Is there any way of getting it back without having to apply for it again. I cannot do this as I took out the overdraft about 8 yrs ago and my credit rating was fantastic but due to financial dificulties, my credit rating is now low. Surely I should not have to re-apply if it was a banking error in the first place?

I assumed that there was a banking code of conduct, and if they changed anything on your account, they had to tell you first?

I am really quite upset about all this and need some good advice about what to do next.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,114Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter