Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Should MOT Advisory Notes be given to you by the ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Should MOT Advisory Notes be given to you by the seller?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,175
# 1
Lindav3148
Old 10-08-2010, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Should MOT Advisory Notes be given to you by the seller?

Hi, 6 months ago (end of December 2009) I bought a Vauxhall Astra which had to have an MOT before I could collect. My car passed and I was given a copy of the MOT Certificate.

I have just had to put the car in for a service as it had done 50K miles. It has just cost me 800 as not only did it need a service, but it needed new brakes on back and front as there was nothing left on them whatsoever. I mentioned the brakes when I bought it and was told that it was just because it had been sitting on the forecourt for a few months. It also needed: - air conditioning serviced, cam belt, two new front tyres, back driver side suspension. I've also been advised that for it's MOT in December 2010, I will need a new exhaust as the outer skin is totally corroded, two new back tyres and one of the front brake pipes is corroded.

I only had a 3 month warranty with the car, is there anything that I can go back to the garage with as I cannot believe that the car should have passed the MOT in December?? As a minimum I would have thought the advisory notes should have been given to me, so that I could have made an informed choice about the car?
# 2
Gordon Hose
Old 10-08-2010, 1:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I had the same thing once, (mine involved a leaking fuel tank and badly fitted brakes). The dealer wasn't interested, Trading Standards weren't interested, and VOSA wouldn't inspect the car or the MOT centre...so basically I had to repair it all.

Does it say there should be an advisory note on the MOT certificate the dealer gave you? If not, there was no advisory sheet to give you.

The problem you have though, is that the things you list are all wear and tear, and might not have been an MOT advisory/fail at the time the MOT was done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
harveybobbles
Old 10-08-2010, 1:38 PM

Wonder if the OP used KwikFit...?

Also, End of December is 7 and half months ago.

Why dont people just use Council run MOT centres ffs...?!

Last edited by harveybobbles; 10-08-2010 at 1:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to harveybobbles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
steveo3002
Old 10-08-2010, 2:02 PM

hmm yeah theres a chance youve gone to somewhere thats trying to drum up some work for themsleves

cam belt and service are nothing to do with the mot , sounds like youve made a years use out of the car and brakes n tyres are consumables
# 5
Hammyman
Old 10-08-2010, 2:04 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindav3148 View Post
It also needed: - air conditioning serviced, cam belt, two new front tyres, back driver side suspension. I've also been advised that for it's MOT in December 2010, I will need a new exhaust as the outer skin is totally corroded, two new back tyres and one of the front brake pipes is corroded.

I only had a 3 month warranty with the car, is there anything that I can go back to the garage with as I cannot believe that the car should have passed the MOT in December?? As a minimum I would have thought the advisory notes should have been given to me, so that I could have made an informed choice about the car?
All of the above in your rant, apart from brake pipes, are SERVICE ITEMS that wear in normal use. You'd find that the warranty didn't cover them. The "corroded brake pipe" is pretty much a con on anything built in the last decade as there aren't many made from steel anymore.

As for passing the MOT? December is 9 months ago and two of the items in your rant aren't even testable and the exhaust only fails if it leaks - the fact its got rust is irrelevent. I can go through a set of tyres in just over a year so its well within the realms of possibility for perfectly legal ones at MOT time to need replacing in 9 months - hell, my car passed its MOT in June and I've just had to buy two rear tyres.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Strider590
Old 10-08-2010, 2:28 PM

Hmmm..... why do people seem to think that its normal for a car to go THIS wrong?

Get a good second opinion on that MOT and go to a council run MOT centre
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 7
cyclonebri1
Old 10-08-2010, 2:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Hi, 6 months ago (end of December 2009) I bought a Vauxhall Astra which had to have an MOT before I could collect. My car passed and I was given a copy of the MOT Certificate.

As a minimum I would have thought the advisory notes should have been given to me, so that I could have made an informed choice about the car?

1) the car passed it's mot

2) no you don't have to be given the advisories

3) given you are looking at a car that assumdly is legal, and has just passed a VOSA test, what more can you expect???????????????????????
broken hand, so even worse typing than usual. Now better, still can't play piano tho'

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
# 8
LeeUK
Old 10-08-2010, 3:28 PM

The dealer binned the advisory notice when I bought my last car. Wasn't a problem as I just checked the online MOT database. Although it is a bit shady of the dealer binning it when it says on the actual certificate that an advisory notice was issued. Specially when they hadn't done anything about the advisories.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 9
Hammyman
Old 10-08-2010, 5:42 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider590 View Post
Hmmm..... why do people seem to think that its normal for a car to go THIS wrong?
Because, apart from the brake pipe, all of the parts mentioned are SERVICABLE ITEMS THAT WEAR OUT FROM USE and have a limited life. The OP is merely unlucky that there have been several all worn out at roughly the same time but it does happen. My car needed two new tyres this week. The rear brake pads are low and so are the fronts but the fronts will need the discs changing as well. Its just unfortunate that they're all going to need doing within 3 weeks of each other. Its just the way it happened.

As for a second opinion - IT WAS SIX MONTHS AGO. There is no way in hell to ascertain what the state of the parts the OP is whinging about was 6 months ago AS THEY ARE ALL CONSUMABLES.
# 10
peachyprice
Old 10-08-2010, 5:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

[QUOTE=Lindav3148;35558645]Hi, 6 months ago (end of December 2009) I bought a Vauxhall Astra which had to have an MOT before I could collect. My car passed and I was given a copy of the MOT Certificate.

And how many miles have you driven since the last MOT?
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
# 11
Dave101t
Old 10-08-2010, 5:52 PM

an advisory is...advice. not law.
Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave101t For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
msmyth18
Old 10-08-2010, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Google mot history (wont let me post a link)
On the direct gov website it lets you search previous history for mots- Not sure it will help you with your issue, but its handy to look at when buying a car
# 13
mcjordi
Old 10-08-2010, 7:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

its common for a seller to lose the advise sheet if issued... it could only be something like tyre nearing limit or a whole host of problems

i checked the history on-line for my current car and tbh the mot guy i used laughed and said they are not even advisories to him.. so its purely testers opinion
Sealed pot challenger # 10
"you had me at free"
stealing your thoughts since 1984
stars from Sue-UU ive had more but the price of gold was too much to resist
# 14
whatajoke1
Old 10-08-2010, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
I only had a 3 month warranty with the car
Good idea is to take the car in for an MOT BEFORE the end of the 3 months and see if it fails on anything the warranty covers.
The Following User Says Thank You to whatajoke1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
masterlumps
Old 10-08-2010, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
Wonder if the OP used KwikFit...?

Also, End of December is 7 and half months ago.

Why dont people just use Council run MOT centres ffs...?!

maybe it is because all councils do not actually offer such a service!
Closed Thread