Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Is talktalk super secure boost any good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is talktalk super secure boost any good?
Closed Thread
Views: 14,972
# 1
silkyuk9
Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Is talktalk super secure boost any good?

just had an email from talktalk offering me for FREE this super secure boost, which normally costs subscribers £2 a month.

has anyone got this and is it any good??
# 2
Hammyman
Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM
PPR

Nothing from Talktalk is any good including their internet service. ICBATL so what does this "super secure boost" do? Its very name suggests to me that its a rip-off aimed at the clueless.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
silkyuk9
Old 05-08-2010, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyman View Post
Nothing from Talktalk is any good including their internet service. ICBATL so what does this "super secure boost" do? Its very name suggests to me that its a rip-off aimed at the clueless.
i guess its a virus program
# 4
tronator
Old 05-08-2010, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyman View Post
Looks like an antivirus proxy from F-Secure on their end.

http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/prod...nline-security

Use it if you're able to opt-out at any time in case it affects your Internet speed. Also think about your privacy as everything you do goes through their servers...
The Following User Says Thank You to tronator For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hammyman
Old 05-08-2010, 4:05 PM
PPR

So you pay them £2 per month for something they should be providing for free if its server based at their end. And if its something needing installing on each computer, its no better than the free Microsoft Security Essentials.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
TalkTalk Company Representative
Old 06-08-2010, 9:44 AM
Awaiting Authorisation
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Guys,

The Super Secure Boost is a security program offered by TalkTalk.

This used to be charged at £2 per months however this service is now offered for free.

TalkTalk customers can sign up for and remove this service as necessary via the My Account System.

Regards
“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 7
Hammyman
Old 06-08-2010, 9:48 AM
PPR

Your website is still showing it as £2 for certain packages. So is it £2 for those packages or free for all?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
silkyuk9
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkTalk Company Representative View Post
Hi Guys,

This used to be charged at £2 per months however this service is now offered for free.

TalkTalk customers can sign up for and remove this service as necessary via the My Account System.

Regards
what are the differences between this super secure boost and microsoft essentials??

what does the talktalk one have that the microsoft one does not.

im happy with the microsoft essentials so whay should i change??
# 9
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM

F-Secure as Tron says is the provider, my understanding is that paid for or free if you already have a Virus Programme don't touch it with a bargepole. All ISP's / Banks / whatever provide these things and you had better believe they are not for your benefit but for the ISP's benefit to prevent your infected system firing missiles at their servers.

As yourself the fundamental question : why ? do they provide an uninstaller if it slows down your puter ?

If you don't already have an Anti Virus programme installed there are better free ones [ MSE ] than F-Secure.
# 10
aliEnRIK
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Regards
Does F secure also supply the virus definitions? Does it do anything different to if I bought F secure by itself?
# 11
Hammyman
Old 06-08-2010, 3:33 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliEnRIK View Post
Does F secure also supply the virus definitions? Does it do anything different to if I bought F secure by itself?
You've all gone and done it now. You've had to get technical. Somehow I doubt the rep from the "ISP With The Worst Technical Support in the World Ever, Vol 2" is likely to give any worthwhile response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Inactive
Old 06-08-2010, 4:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Regards
Not on your " Essentials " package it isn't, it is still showing at £2 per month, or does your web site need updating?
# 13
JasX
Old 06-08-2010, 4:16 PM

OP,

Can we save alot of effort all round and just stress the earlier answer to your original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyuk9 View Post
Is talktalk super secure boost any good?
Answer: No*

*If you're dopey enough not to have your own decent Anti virus and visit alot of dodgy sites this might change to a partial yes but thats an extreme case (what you currently have is perfectly sufficient £2 a month or otherwise )

Last edited by JasX; 06-08-2010 at 4:19 PM.
# 14
debitcardmayhem
Old 06-08-2010, 5:03 PM

Location: Depriving a village of an Idiot, whilst waiting for a call from Heaven or Hell re my future

The answer is of course ... Let us wait until we receive our first "Can someone look at this log" then we can say told you so.
Be careful what you wish for -
I thought
Quote:
I could do with a stroke of luck so I can stop working
So I had a stroke and have not worked since. Lucky? , you figure.
Updated 2014 , was thinking about writing my biography, Doctor suggested I get a Ghost Writer in to finish it

# 15
harrietgeek
Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't bother with it, and get Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, or one of the myriad other free anti-virus programs out there!
# 16
spud17
Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietgeek View Post
Don't bother with it, and get Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, or one of the myriad other free anti-virus programs out there!
Nearly, you obviously meant to put Avira, but typed AVG.
Sorry if I do not reply immediately, but I'm now only here occasional evenings and some weekends. (Just for dcm )

A watched file transfer never finishes.
# 17
TalkTalk Company Representative
Old 12-08-2010, 3:09 PM
Awaiting Authorisation
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi All,The F_Secure service is offered for free to Plus customer, my apologies I was not clearer in regards to my last posting on this subject.In terms of the virus definitions this is updated by F-secure. The product itself is rated reasonably high in user opinion polls and since TalkTalk have utilised our partnership with F-Secure we have seen consistent improvements in the overall functionality of the Super Security Boost.The benefits of this in comparison to other antivirus packages would need to be done on an individual basis due to the variance in levels of antivirus software available eg free vs. premium.In the event you already have an F-Secure subscription TT cannot just migrate this, the request for the security boost would nee dot originate form TT for this to be billed via ourselves.And yes the program can be easily uninstalled if this is affecting performance (noting there are obviously minimum system requirements for the product), if done so you would need to contact TT to also remove the service from your billing account.RegardsM
“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Closed Thread