Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Insurance & Life Assurance > Axa insurance cancellation - 25 charge! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Axa insurance cancellation - 25 charge!
Closed Thread
Views: 4,739
# 1
cris01
Old 27-07-2010, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Axa insurance cancellation - 25 charge!

Yesterday I used the comparison sites on MSE to get a quote for car insurance, the cheapest was with AXA. My current insurance does not finish until 29/07/10, so I completed all the details online, and paid the one off payment by credit card. It was only when discussing the details with my partner that I realised that my car was an accident damaged repairable, cat D, and was not covered by the insurance ( a fact hidden in the t&c's). As i had to put in the reg no, and the website reurned the details of my car, I'd assumed it was ok. Anyway, I rang today to cancel, and was told that I would have to pay a cancellation fee of 25 ( even though the insurance hadn't even started!) I was told the reason was admin costs had been incurred. I have since looked at other insurers websites, the ones I have checked don't charge if cancelled within a certain period, 14 days seems to be the norm. I thought by law there had to be a 14 day "cooling off" period. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do besides complain to AXA?
Thank you, any advice appreciated!
# 2
dunstonh
Old 28-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
I have since looked at other insurers websites, the ones I have checked don't charge if cancelled within a certain period, 14 days seems to be the norm. I thought by law there had to be a 14 day "cooling off" period. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do besides complain to AXA?
It is permissible for them to charge an admin fee during the cancellation rights period. A few do this. As long as its disclosed (as in their published fees) then its acceptable.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
cris01
Old 28-07-2010, 5:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for that info. I shan't use them again!
# 4
tralu
Old 01-08-2010, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Axa

Axa insurance whether it be for travel, home, life, pet, life, home, or whatever, are CRAP !!!! there has been sooooooo many threads on here to warn people what axa are like, and still people insure with them, and then find out they wish they hadn't!!!
Please people, read the forums first before you insure with axa in particular, even if axaa seem to be giving a resonablel deal, they are out to get yoou.

Be warned!!!
tralu
The Following User Says Thank You to tralu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dick_turpin
Old 19-04-2011, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have been with Axa for nearly two years, submitted my first claim at Christmas and am still waiting payment despite being assured it was being dealt with as a priority! Highly not recommended and I will change company at the end of the current insured year.
Closed Thread