Trunki for Ryan air hand luggage?

Options
I have purchased a trunki for my 3 year old daughter:j to take with her on holiday to keep her amused during the time at the airport, but I have just looked at the guidelines for ryan air flights for hand luggage restrictions 55cm 40cm 20cm and compared the trunki size 40cm 32cm 21cm, so the trunki is over by 1 cm in width (although is advertised as suitable for hand luggage) Will we get away with this 1 cm difference as all the other dimensions are way within limits. She will be so upset if we can't take it with us.:(
Has anyone taken one on a ryan air flight as hand luggage? If so what was the outcome? Thanks

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The box is 20cm, so there is a chance of upset. They refer to IATA standard hand luggage size when selling luggage, ryanair's size is smaller than this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I flew to Murcia 2 days ago with Ryanair and 2 children near us on the plane had Trunkies, so don't think you will have a problem.

Have a good holiday.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ryanair's rules are clear - 55x45x20cm. If the bag is bigger than that in any one dimension then they can demand you pay £30 to put it in the hold.

That other people have not had problems does not mean you won't
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    lurkylurky wrote: »
    I flew to Murcia 2 days ago with Ryanair and 2 children near us on the plane had Trunkies, so don't think you will have a problem.

Have a good holiday.

Depends on the flight on the day, I was in Bristol a week or two ago and EVERY person (inc children, for some reason they count as people) had to put their bag in the size guage and were checked to see that they had no other bags, newspapers, tax free, cameras, laptops, handbags etc. etc. It can be good entertainment to watch actually.

Stick to the rules and you will have no problems, it's why you got your flight for £3!
  • bigblackdog
    bigblackdog Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    i would not worry , if need be just really cram the trunky into that measurement cage thing they have , i am sure it will squash down by 1 cm . the overall volume of the trunky is way under what they will accept , i have got on ryanair flights with tons of stuff many times before , the only problem i had was trying to take umbrellas with me , had to leave them behind , wouldnt let me take umbrellas for some strange reason very annoying
    my favourite food is spare ribs
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    i would not worry , if need be just really cram the trunky into that measurement cage thing they have , i am sure it will squash down by 1 cm . the overall volume of the trunky is way under what they will accept , i have got on ryanair flights with tons of stuff many times before , the only problem i had was trying to take umbrellas with me , had to leave them behind , wouldnt let me take umbrellas for some strange reason very annoying

Have you seen a Trunki? Any attempt to squash it will probably make it crack!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • saratee
    saratee Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    No need to squash it, our Trunki fits in Ryanair's size thingy fine, also in the overhead locker. Flew from East Midlands last weekend and saw loads of them flying Ryanair. If it fits in the sizer thing, it goes on :j
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saratee wrote: »
    Ryanair's size thingy

Is that the cardboard box checker?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure