Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Pets & Pet Care > Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems
Closed Thread
Views: 5,021
# 1
pollyanna24
Old 09-07-2010, 1:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems

Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgage taken out April 2006 - 185,000.00
Mortgage (2nd July 2014) - 114,670.05

Overpayments in 2014 - 7,554.49 so far
# 2
getcarter
Old 09-07-2010, 2:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Take the dog to the vets, my staffy does this and after investigating a problem with her patella, the vets have now found out that the cruciate ligament is the problem. She does not need an operation but does need management, it's better to know!
# 3
undaunted
Old 09-07-2010, 3:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna24 View Post
Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.
Your dog is yelping and holding her leg up because she's in pain, intermittently or not!

There are a variety of things which could cause this kind of problem an in turn a variety of things (some very inexpensive) which he / she will be able to give, do or suggest dependant upon the exact cause of this intermittent lameness which will hopefully end that pain.

Please, rather than let her suffer any further painful days ring your vet today and make an appointment asap in order to get a proper diagnosis & suitable treatment underway.
# 4
foreign correspondent
Old 09-07-2010, 3:20 PM

get her to the vets - supplements may be a good idea - my dog is on glucosamine and fish oil and her occasional stiff hip has completely cleared up!
- almost a legend -
Quote:
FC, you are fast becoming the Ted Hutchinson of the pet forums
# 5
pollyanna24
Old 09-07-2010, 3:23 PM

Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgage taken out April 2006 - 185,000.00
Mortgage (2nd July 2014) - 114,670.05

Overpayments in 2014 - 7,554.49 so far
# 6
Rev
Old 09-07-2010, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Although I will watch her for a bit first.
If it hasn't righted itself in the 'while' you've been watching her, I doubt it's going to now. Get her to the vets and figure out why the poor mite is in pain.
Sigless
# 7
elsien
Old 09-07-2010, 7:52 PM

Could be any of a number of things, so best to get it checked. She won't have to just put up with it - even if they're not sure what it is to start with, you can still get doggie painkillers. (Bet you wouldn't do without your paracetamol etc if you were in pain, so why should she?)
I don't know about staffies as a breed, but mine which is an English bull terrier has quite a high pain threshold (vet calls her brave, I'm working on the "where there's no sense theory"). Which basically means when she starts to limp, it blooming hurts, where another dog might have been limping and yelping a lot sooner. So your dog might be having more difficulty than you realise, but is taking longer to show it.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
The Following User Says Thank You to elsien For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
imaginarynumber
Old 13-07-2010, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Might be a good time to start giving your dog Glucosamine (with contrition and MSM). Many breeds would benefit from it at an early age as a preventative measure
The Following User Says Thank You to imaginarynumber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
candygirl
Old 13-07-2010, 8:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Awwww get her to the vets hun, we all need to look after our staffy babiesHope she's ok soon
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
# 10
ali-t
Old 13-07-2010, 8:34 PM

Staffies can be prone to luxating patellas, mine had a problem with this and required an op to fix it. If this is the problem and you don't get it looked at and fixed it can lead to arthritis which will be painful fo your dog and can't be fixed with an op. If there is a patella problem the vet may suggest exercise like swimming to build up the muscle around the leg to prevent the patella slipping.
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got

If my posts are a bit ropey with dodgy spelling and grammar, it's because I'm on a tablet or mobile and can't type properly on it.
# 11
undaunted
Old 14-07-2010, 4:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.
As you've already watched her for "a while" (apparently at least a month) can I ask what it is that puts you off making the appointment?

If you can only go on a Saturday or in an evening surely ringing now would enable you to book an appointment in advance rather than let another month pass & still have the same problems & no appointment?

Alternatively is there another vet you could make an appointment with or someone who would take your dog in for you?

If money is an issue is there a PDSA, Blue Cross, RSPCA etc in the area who may be able to help. Alternatively try contacting the Tailwaggers Trust.

Whatever the issue please don't just rely on supplements without getting a proper diagnosis - they may be all you need but hydrotherapy, accupuncture / physio, medications & even surgery may be other possibilities dependant upon exactly what it is that the vet finds. Hope it proves something more minor. Let us know how you get on
# 12
devildog
Old 14-07-2010, 5:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know that people are quick to say either take to vets or why have you waited so long etc but sometimes there is no cause or issue(at least not diagnosed anyway) and things can clear up almost as quickly as they started.
I used to have a dog that suddenly started to drink excessively (for her)(bowl fulls everyday) After a week of this went to the vets, dog was examined, had blood tests, urine tests etc, nothing found in any shape or form. Another two weeks and things were back to normal. Obviously no-one wants their animals to suffer but sometimes these things just happen and then disappear again.
# 13
Welshwoofs
Old 15-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Hitching the leg up after exercise/play could be a cruciate ligament problem and yes, you need to see a vet.
Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.
Dylan Moran
Closed Thread