Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Jul 10, 1:59 PM
    • 3,496Posts
    • 4,045Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems
    • 9th Jul 10, 1:59 PM
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier leg/joint problems 9th Jul 10 at 1:59 PM
    Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £392,000
    Mortgages (3rd November2016) - £188,677.16
    Equity - £203,322.84
Page 1
    • getcarter
    • By getcarter 9th Jul 10, 2:29 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    getcarter
    • 9th Jul 10, 2:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 2:29 PM
    Take the dog to the vets, my staffy does this and after investigating a problem with her patella, the vets have now found out that the cruciate ligament is the problem. She does not need an operation but does need management, it's better to know!
    • undaunted
    • By undaunted 9th Jul 10, 3:07 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    undaunted
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:07 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:07 PM
    Our staffie has had a dody leg for a while now, but it comes and goes which is why we haven't gotten round to taking her to the vet.

It's mainly after a run which is a shame as she is obsessed with balls. But sometimes she yelps and then holds one leg up for a while, but it always goes in a day or so.

But recently she just seems more stiff in her back legs. She's only 3.

If we do take her to the vet, is there anything that he is likely to be able to give her or will she just have to put up with it?

I know people will tell me to take her to the vet, but like I said, it's not all the time and she seems happy enough, even when she is holding the leg up. She can still get onto her bed on the sofa all the time.

Is this a common problem in staffs as I've never heard of it in them before.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Your dog is yelping and holding her leg up because she's in pain, intermittently or not!

There are a variety of things which could cause this kind of problem an in turn a variety of things (some very inexpensive) which he / she will be able to give, do or suggest dependant upon the exact cause of this intermittent lameness which will hopefully end that pain.

Please, rather than let her suffer any further painful days ring your vet today and make an appointment asap in order to get a proper diagnosis & suitable treatment underway.
    • foreign correspondent
    • By foreign correspondent 9th Jul 10, 3:20 PM
    • 9,034 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    foreign correspondent
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:20 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:20 PM
    get her to the vets - supplements may be a good idea - my dog is on glucosamine and fish oil and her occasional stiff hip has completely cleared up!
    - almost a legend -
    FC, you are fast becoming the Ted Hutchinson of the pet forums
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Jul 10, 3:23 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:23 PM
    Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £392,000
    Mortgages (3rd November2016) - £188,677.16
    Equity - £203,322.84
    • Rev
    • By Rev 9th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    Rev
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    Although I will watch her for a bit first.
    If it hasn't righted itself in the 'while' you've been watching her, I doubt it's going to now. Get her to the vets and figure out why the poor mite is in pain.
    Sigless
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Jul 10, 7:52 PM
    • 13,686 Posts
    • 33,232 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Jul 10, 7:52 PM
    • 9th Jul 10, 7:52 PM
    Could be any of a number of things, so best to get it checked. She won't have to just put up with it - even if they're not sure what it is to start with, you can still get doggie painkillers. (Bet you wouldn't do without your paracetamol etc if you were in pain, so why should she?)
    I don't know about staffies as a breed, but mine which is an English bull terrier has quite a high pain threshold (vet calls her brave, I'm working on the "where there's no sense theory"). Which basically means when she starts to limp, it blooming hurts, where another dog might have been limping and yelping a lot sooner. So your dog might be having more difficulty than you realise, but is taking longer to show it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • imaginarynumber
    • By imaginarynumber 13th Jul 10, 8:31 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    imaginarynumber
    • 13th Jul 10, 8:31 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 8:31 PM
    Might be a good time to start giving your dog Glucosamine (with contrition and MSM). Many breeds would benefit from it at an early age as a preventative measure
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jul 10, 8:34 PM
    • 25,140 Posts
    • 100,526 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 13th Jul 10, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 8:34 PM
    Awwww get her to the vets hun, we all need to look after our staffy babiesHope she's ok soon
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 13th Jul 10, 8:34 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    ali-t
    Staffies can be prone to luxating patellas, mine had a problem with this and required an op to fix it. If this is the problem and you don't get it looked at and fixed it can lead to arthritis which will be painful fo your dog and can't be fixed with an op. If there is a patella problem the vet may suggest exercise like swimming to build up the muscle around the leg to prevent the patella slipping.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • undaunted
    • By undaunted 14th Jul 10, 4:41 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    undaunted
    Rightie ho, will make an appointment. Although I will watch her for a bit first. I did get as far as ringing up and making an appointment a month or so ago, but they were busy on a Saturday morning.

Thanks guys.
    As you've already watched her for "a while" (apparently at least a month) can I ask what it is that puts you off making the appointment?

If you can only go on a Saturday or in an evening surely ringing now would enable you to book an appointment in advance rather than let another month pass & still have the same problems & no appointment?

Alternatively is there another vet you could make an appointment with or someone who would take your dog in for you?

If money is an issue is there a PDSA, Blue Cross, RSPCA etc in the area who may be able to help. Alternatively try contacting the Tailwaggers Trust.

Whatever the issue please don't just rely on supplements without getting a proper diagnosis - they may be all you need but hydrotherapy, accupuncture / physio, medications & even surgery may be other possibilities dependant upon exactly what it is that the vet finds. Hope it proves something more minor. Let us know how you get on
    • devildog
    • By devildog 14th Jul 10, 5:29 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    devildog
    I know that people are quick to say either take to vets or why have you waited so long etc but sometimes there is no cause or issue(at least not diagnosed anyway) and things can clear up almost as quickly as they started.
    I used to have a dog that suddenly started to drink excessively (for her)(bowl fulls everyday) After a week of this went to the vets, dog was examined, had blood tests, urine tests etc, nothing found in any shape or form. Another two weeks and things were back to normal. Obviously no-one wants their animals to suffer but sometimes these things just happen and then disappear again.
  • Welshwoofs
    Hitching the leg up after exercise/play could be a cruciate ligament problem and yes, you need to see a vet.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter