PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tennant over a week late moving out

Options
hi all,

we have a tennant who gave four weeks notice to move out on the 15th june. We rang the LA today only to be told the tennant is still in there...and they have no idea when she is moving out.

what are our rights regarding this? the LA are as useful as a chocolate teapot! they let her get into over £2000 arrears,to which over £500 is still outstanding.

am i right in thinking that if she refuses to move out we will need to take her to court?

TIA, Skint x
;)

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean the letting agent let her get into £2K of arrears? Your agent only works on your behalf/ instruction, you cannot delegate all your your rights and responsibilities to them. Why have you only found out today the tenant has not vacated? Do you have another tenant lined up to move in? Are you a member of a landlord's association?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the LA are as useful as a chocolate teapot!

? Who chose & signed up the agent??

You will need to follow due process, -notice2quit, court application, court order, bailiffs...

Assuming all the paperwork is correct (rarely happens, often your existing paperwork has errors..) probably take you 3-4 months... longer if errors...

Welcome to the fun world of property letting!

Cheers!

Lodger (Landlord for over 10 years...)

PS And don't even think about threatening the tenant: Judge will give tenant even more time if you do that...
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Did the agent serve an S21 at the outset of the tenancy (effectively serving 2 months to end the tenancy upfront, to save this time at the end if court becomes the next step?
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    thanks for your replies so far. my OH initially took on the process of choosing an agent,not one i suggested, and dealing with it but he has left it for me to deal with recently. I thought my OH was insane to let her fall behind with her rent - i did suggest eviction but he didnt want to do this and now he is quite literally paying for it.

We were given a date of 26th june for the tennant to move out,i rang them earlier to see if she had made any more payments towards her arrears and double checked the date she was to move out by, only to be told it was infact the 15th june.

im not sure if a S21 was served,even though i did push for it due to the arrears. i have since found out that my partner didnt request references as it turns out it is someone he went to school with.

i am at my wits end with this and my OH is being too niaeve and just yells at the suggestions that we should take.
    ;)
  • jonnyenglish
    Options

im not sure if a S21 was served,even though i did push for it due to the arrears. i have since found out that my partner didnt request references as it turns out it is someone he went to school with.

i am at my wits end with this and my OH is being too niaeve and just yells at the suggestions that we should take.

Who did you push for the S.21 to be served?

I note that at the bottom of your post are the words "Mummy says, if you don't ask, you don't get" I think you should live by your motto and get this issue sorted once and for all.

If it were my tenant, and who knows one day it might be, I would be pressing my letting agent (to whom I pay a juicy monthly fee) to get the ball rolling and not waste any more time.
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    I told my partner to get the LA to get a section 21 served upon the 2nd payment being missed. My OH let it slide,and yes,it did cause so many arguments and the fact that he has no idea that she really is taking the mick. She even got a dog without permission to have it in the flat and my OH just laughed it off. i have told the LA that she has got until saturday before it gets taken to the next level,ie,S21. The LA obviously knew she was in arrears, and the tenant has a guarantor but they even failed to get the money from him.

the thing that frustrates me is that i have been a tenant myself a few times so i know what you can and cant do,so to speak. I have told my OH we need to go with another LA (we have time to find one as we need to replace the bathroom) but even that idea is being frowned upon.

im just wondering if i should not say anything to him about this anymore and just let him clear up his own mess.
    ;)
  • Jowo_2
    Options
    We can't really advise you about some of this since it is simply a relationship problem with your OH who isn't being businesslike about the property (being a landlord is a business and clearly he doesn't have the appetite for it).

However, the best notice to serve for arrears is an S8 (to be served the day after the second month's rent has been missed) with a belt and braces approach of serving an S21, too, in case the tenant frustrates the court case for possession by arrears through paying the arrears off to less than 2 months. Basically, a judge must award possession back to the landlord if at the time of serving the S8 and at the court date, the tenant owes 2+ months arrears, it's mandatory. Obviously your tenants arrears are less now so the S8 isn't the most appropriate now.

Has your agent been asked to supply a reference to the tenant's next landlord? Most landlords require references and most landlords, upon hearing that a tenant has a history of arrears, will avoid giving them a tenancy (hence why some landlords fib to get bad ones out of their properties and in someone else's). She may not even have found onward accommodation if her credit record is poor or she cannot afford the next deposit and first month's rent.

Did your agent undertake credit checks and take up employer and landlord references? Why did your tenant get into arrears? Are they working or are on LHA (housing benefit)? Do they have a fixed term tenancy (if so when does it end) or is it a periodic one, running month month?

The landlordzone website has information on how to find a good agent who are supposed to make life easier for the landlord, not harder.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/agents.htm

Act now - get that S21 out rather than defer it again. I've not used their services but if you don't trust yourself or the agent to get the ball rolling, the Landlord Action organisation appears to be very effective and experienced and do this on a fixed fee basis.

• skint-student-nurse
    Options
    She is moving in with her boyfriend,who already has a property, so i really cant understand the delay. The tenant is on HB and that is paid in arrears so really she moved in,in arrears (so my OH tells me). The term was initially for 12 months,which expired in may and was rolled on to a month-by-month agreement,even though i pushed my partner to end the tenancy before this. The tenant told the LA that she had never rented before so didnt need the checks (??? i still had these checks on my first rented property).

I agree with what you say - that this is a business - hence why now it is hitting the fan,my partner is leaving it for me to deal with, even though my suggestions are still being ignored.

i think i will get a s21 regardless of what my partner thinks,i mean,what would he expect if he didnt pay the mortgage? to live there for as long as he likes with no-one kicking up a fuss? i think he is being too soft with her,and she has taken the pee for long enough.
    ;)
  • Jowo_2
    Options
    I'm still a bit baffled - though LHA is paid in arrears, a tenant is usually obliged to pay in advance - the fact that they receive LHA differently from their contractual obligations is for them to resolve. Also, when tenants on LHA are in arrears (think its 8 weeks or 2 months), the landlord can apply to the local council to be paid directly. Nobody usually hands over the keys before the 1st month rent is paid.

Perhaps she's reluctant to move in with her boyfriend because of relationship issues or because her means tested benefits will be affected because of his income?

All tenants need to be screened! Most landlords and their agents require the tenant to complete a tenancy application form and then check the information that is given. Otherwise a landlord will get lumbered with a tenant who has a history of debt, or trashing properties, of doing flits or being evicted. Your agent and your OH haven't even done the basics - she must have been rubbing her hands with glee.

I don't think your OH is cut out for letting property.
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    its a case of her benefits being affected unfortunately as her partner has a good income. i initially stayed away from the flat being let out,my partner said it was something he wanted to do so i left it at that. i know that the council paid her deposit, and i am unsure as to why she started out in arrears as her dad supposedly paid her first months rent. She is paying rent from her HB, and apparently because i rang the council to see what was going on with her claim as she was so far behind with her rent (lie after lie from her) the council decided to pay it straight to the LA,she wasnt happy so gave notice to quit. it really is one big mess and my OH just isnt interested in what i say anymore!

but i agree,my OH really isnt cut out for lettting property.
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport