Site HTML rendering issues

Options
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2511955

A thread on Techie Stuff indicates an issue common to some Firefox users - are the Web team aware?
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Actually Ian, for me -and probably others, it occurs on every page - even without wide images. AFAICS, it is purely the "Main Site - Forum - ... - Logout - ... " bar itself not starting on the left, but somewhere to the right of the abuse@ mailto link.

I strongly suspect that
    <td id="MSEForumsLHS" valign="top" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

in line 995 or thereabouts as seen client side is not properly closed

Actually, I have tested and there is also an unclosed <table> tag. I have got this bar rendering correctly, but there are other side effects. I think that the problem is that some of this is being coded to 'look right' on IE rather than to HTML standards
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • marisa
    marisa Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    The dtd is transitional, so things like forgetting to close tags won't always affect things as much as one may think.

i would think it is more todo with the style properties for the MSEForumsLHS, a maximum size, or set % needs to be set maybe?

Saving for a year in Japan.
    I need around £10,000. Help me get there! :cool:
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If you can PM me and let me know which browser, and more specifically which version of that browser is not rendering the page correctly I can investigate :).
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    marisa wrote: »
    The dtd is transitional, so things like forgetting to close tags won't always affect things as much as one may think.

i would think it is more todo with the style properties for the MSEForumsLHS, a maximum size, or set % needs to be set maybe?
    Capturing the HTML and closing the tags eliminates the problem [but leaves another].
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    This problem now noted as resolved on Firefox 3.5.1 for 64 bit Linux
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    Problem has now returned after upgrades
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, back again on the latest public release of firefox for me.
  • kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    I've been having issues with IE8 / Vista 32 bit for about two weeks now, and I'd like to know whether the following 3 screenshots are the sort of thing others have been experiencing. This is only a representative sample - I've had lots of other weird and wonderful manifestations.

A screen refresh, or two, ...or three, usually fixes it, but it would be nice to find out why it happens.

ieproblems2.jpg

ieproblems1.jpg

ieproblems3.jpg
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps it's the long-heralded WOW factor ... ;)
    I certainly said "Wow!" when I saw those screenshots. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport