Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    fragglepants
    Does a debt ever go away? Or can they chase you for payment years after the event?
    • 25th May 10, 10:12 AM
    Does a debt ever go away? Or can they chase you for payment years after the event? 25th May 10 at 10:12 AM
    Hi there!

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I opted for here!

A phone company have just got in touch - I estimate around 3yrs after the event, maybe longer - threatening legal action for an unpaid bill. This was in disupte at the time, I thought that they had agreed that I did not owe them any money as they never chased me.

However, I have suddenly had two letters this week demanding payment. They claim that they have contacted me a number of times and I've ignored them - this just isn't true.

How long after the 'debt' was accrued do they have to chase it? Can they chase the debt from me after so long?

My initial reaction is to say I'm not going to pay as I was originally in disupte with them. However, I don't think I have any paperwork (plus just had a fire at home, flaming timing!). I did have many 'debates' with them over hte phone - perhaps they have recordings of those?!

Help needed quickly please!

Thanks guys

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,720Posts Today

7,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Warning! If ur going to Europe, check your EHIC card, 5m are invalid & out of date. How to check & renew free -> http://t.co/Nyt4WWxH3u RT

• RT @Gusseteer: @MartinSLewis BT struggling to cope with calls cancelling over 7% price hike. Told they will call me back in 10-15 days. Ver?

• RT @tyclaret: @MartinSLewis Great shout on the champagne at Sainsburys offer. Bought 6 bottles online this morning and saved a fortune.

• Follow Martin