cheque returned with no mandate

Options
Firstly what does it mean when a cheque is returned with 'no mandate'. The bank cannot tell me.

Many Thanks

Comments

• 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    One of two things

This bank does not honor checks from the originating bank.

Or it is a polite way of saying Insufficient Funds

I believe the first is the more common for this response.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It means that whoever signed the cheque was not an authorised signatory on the account on which it was issued.

Or possibly that two signatories are required and there is only one on the cheque
  • i_want_to_believe
    Options
    Or could be (if a joint account) a dispute between parties. Quite common during separation/divorce cases when one parties freezes the account.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    No mandate means exactly that.

The paying bank either has no signature mandant on file for that account or the cheque is signed by an unauthorised person. Go back to whoever gave it to you and ask them to sort it out.
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hippey wrote: »
    No mandate means exactly that.

The paying bank either has no signature mandant on file for that account or the cheque is signed by an unauthorised person. Go back to whoever gave it to you and ask them to sort it out.

last year i had a large cheque i had issued returned to my payee in this way - the reason being it had been checked by the bank due to the amount against my origional signature mandate - as i had opened my account at the age of 10 it seems the signature they had on record was in my best 10 year old joined up writing despite signing forms when i was older to upgrade the account to an 'adult account' with cheques and cards etc. my signature had changed in 25 years i had held the account and never been questioned before!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure