Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Energyhelpline coldcalling/scam? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Energyhelpline coldcalling/scam?
Views: 15,302
# 1
Ben1982
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Energyhelpline coldcalling/scam?

Had a phonecall tonight from a number that just showed up as "International" on my phone. It was a guy saying that he was from Energyhelpline, and I basically said, that I knew who they were and what they did, and wasn't interested in switching my energy supply at the moment due to problems with my gas supply (true story!), and when I'm looking to switch I will use their website.

Apparently I understood him wrongly, and he then went on about energy suppliers changing their prices etc, and they could save me money or so. To which I had to tell him the same thing again. To which he said they would ring me back.... even if they do I wouldn't accept giving out details over the phone to a cold caller.

I'm doubting it was actually from Energyhelpline as I would imagine since I'm on TPS, they wouldn't risk cold calling. Being from a line abroad make me suspicious too, which seemingly is a tactic to get around TPS, but again I don't think EnergyHelpline would do this. And also, if they were from Energyhelpline, I would imagine they would have understood my reason not to be wanting switch at this time the first time I told them.

Anyone else had this kind of call claiming to be from Energyhelpline?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
davrav2002
Old 08-05-2010, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just had same call from India - 2.30 Saturday. Said I was happy with my provider and they immediately rang off - so assume not from Energy Helpline!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to davrav2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Robert2009
Old 08-05-2010, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can never understand why people come on here moaning about getting phone calls and the caller arguing with them.

JUST HANG UP THE PHONE, no sorry, no goodbye, no nothing, just do it.

Jeez!

Rob
# 4
typical blonde
Old 27-07-2010, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Energy helpline

Had call last night at 6.30pm - lady with Indian accent. Told her that as I was registered with TPS, she was breaking English Law. Seemed to concentrate her mind a bit and she said she would make sure I wasn't called again.
The Following User Says Thank You to typical blonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
George Short
Old 21-08-2010, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Energy Helpline

Just had a call, 10am Saturday morning. Indian accent and very personable chap. Immediately asked for his number and he gave me an 0207 (London) number. Said I was registered with TPS and why was he flouting the regulations. Response was a sincere apology but that I was on a call list which clearly was not up to date (I have been with TPS for more than 5 years.) I later dialled the 0207 number and the person who answered did so in the name of Energy Hepline. TPS just doesn't work but rather than just hang up in future I will continue to tell people of the error of their ways. Who knows, they may just have a conscience!
The Following User Says Thank You to George Short For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lu lu
Old 22-08-2010, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

I have been plagued for months by "international callers" (not somebody saying they were from Energyhelpline tho') and although I have repeatedly told them that their call is illegal they have said I am on a call list & if I want to get of it it will cost me Euros 39.

I obviously didn't fall for that one & I now let the phone go onto answerphone or I pick up & put it beside the base unit.

It has gone quieter recently so hopefully - fingers crossed - they have got the message.
The Following User Says Thank You to lu lu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
annwottge
Old 15-11-2010, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Energy helpline

Had several calls over the last few days from Alex, an Indian man, from Energy Helpline - very persistent individual and very annoying. Next time going to try to find out why me? Keep trying to avoid him, but thanks to all your advice on this website, will now be very firm. Trouble with us Brits is we're so very polite!
The Following User Says Thank You to annwottge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
deondublin
Old 17-11-2010, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

they keep pestering my mother in law - despite the fact they have been asked to stop. i was at hers on the weekend and they phoned twice. fair enough if you ask to be contacted but they need to back off as they arent bieng very helpful.

i spoke to the guy and he was defo in india - sod being polite, give them the 'hang up'
# 9
energyhelpline company representative
Old 19-11-2010, 6:47 AM
Has MSE’s permission to post for company
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

We were concerned to read about the matters mentioned in the above posts and would like to make an official statement that we hope helps to answer some of the questions raised by the posters above.

1, Regarding TPS calls, at Energyhelpline we gather data from different resources, all of the data we use is what we call “Permission data” this means the number was given as an “opt-in” for more information on a website or survey. We have had a few instances in the past with people that have forgot or not realised they have ticked a box that gives us permission to call. Regardless of this, if you mention you are TPS registered when one of our advisors call, the advisor should politely terminate the call if you do not want to continue.

2, If you do not wish to be called again please tell the advisor so and ask to be put onto our do not call list alternatively you can phone our free phone customer service number on 0800 6343868 or email customerservices@energyhelpline.com and ask to be taken off the list (if emailing please don’t forget to include the number that needs to be taken off the list). Please be aware that just hanging up may possibly generate another call in the future.

3, The aim of Energyhelpline is to provide customers with a valuable service to save customers money, if in any way you are not satisfied with the service you receive then please contact us by either of the above methods, ideally letting us know the name of the agent and the approximate time and date of the call so we can look into the matter.

At Energyhelpline we pride ourselves on the professionalism of our staff and the posts above do highlight that there are some areas where further training is needed and we can assure you that training has already started taking place.

Regards

EnergyHelpline customer services
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Energyhelpline. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
The Following User Says Thank You to energyhelpline company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
hansi
Old 12-12-2010, 6:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1982 View Post
Had a phonecall tonight from a number that just showed up as "International" on my phone. It was a guy saying that he was from Energyhelpline, and I basically said, that I knew who they were and what they did, and wasn't interested in switching my energy supply at the moment due to problems with my gas supply (true story!), and when I'm looking to switch I will use their website.

Apparently I understood him wrongly, and he then went on about energy suppliers changing their prices etc, and they could save me money or so. To which I had to tell him the same thing again. To which he said they would ring me back.... even if they do I wouldn't accept giving out details over the phone to a cold caller.

I'm doubting it was actually from Energyhelpline as I would imagine since I'm on TPS, they wouldn't risk cold calling. Being from a line abroad make me suspicious too, which seemingly is a tactic to get around TPS, but again I don't think EnergyHelpline would do this. And also, if they were from Energyhelpline, I would imagine they would have understood my reason not to be wanting switch at this time the first time I told them.

Anyone else had this kind of call claiming to be from Energyhelpline?

Yes., I've had a few. As soon as they say my name and it's an Indian accent, I either hang up or just leave the phone off the hook and go about my daily business. They soon get fed up with this
# 11
MillicentBystander
Old 12-12-2010, 9:16 AM

I've had a couple calls from these people over the last few weeks, only just seen this thread. Am I reading this right? This Indian call centre actually IS associated with Energyhelpline?? If so, that's their website struck off my list of comparison sites to use.

3, The aim of Energyhelpline is to provide customers with a valuable service to save customers money

May I suggest an alternative version of this?

'3. The primary aim of Energyhelpline is to trouser affiliate income, by encouraging people to switch gas and electric suppliers, hopefully saving them money.'

Reason being is if there was no affiliate income being paid here, switching sites like Energyhelpline and the others wouldn't be interested in entering the market in the first place.

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 12-12-2010 at 9:45 AM.
# 12
Mr K
Old 13-12-2010, 9:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is outrageous. If MSE have any credibilty they'll remove all Energyhelpline links from this site.

They've admitted plaguing people with calls who are registered with the TPS. No doubt they can get away with it because the calls are originating from outside the country. I'm more concerned that MSE countinually 'plug' them, no doubt because they are getting a cut. The cheapest way to switch of course is to go via cashback site and get your own comission, which I don't think MSE highlight enough. Worrying signs for this site, advertising next?

To avoid these calls NEVER give your phone number out. The only people who need it are anybody you've got credit/debit cards with. If anybody else insists on it, give them 01234567890 or a work number. If anything is really important they'll write to you, only sales/marketing is done on the phone. Always opt out of marketing and register with TPS. If you can't see an opt out contact them to make sure you're opted out. As has been mentioned if you do get a call, hang up and don't enter into any conversation. Once your number gets on a marketing list, you're stuffed. I've done all this and never get any marketing calls.
# 13
Arkwright
Old 06-01-2011, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I keep getting a call of the same nature.

I'm always asked if I'm 'Mr Smith'. Usually I say "No" but, this time I said "Yes". He continued to say he is from Energy Helpline and asked for thr bill payer. I said the bill payer was not in.

So he is going to phone back later.

Anybody else been asked for Mr or Mrs Smith?
# 14
Sarri
Old 12-01-2012, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've also had a series of calls over the last couple of days (might have had more but I dont usually work from home) - have explained to them that I'm on the TPS scheme and that they shouldn't be randomly calling me, but the chap I spoke to didnt know anything about TPS..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarri For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
meggsy
Old 13-01-2012, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm just checking with TPS to make sure I am still registered due to changing home phone from BT - "TPS registration line 0845 070 0707 and select option 2. Alternatively you can e-mail your details (including telephone number) to tps@dma.org.uk"

"Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers"

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq.html#16

Last edited by meggsy; 13-01-2012 at 2:23 PM.
# 16
Buntereddy
Old 23-04-2012, 3:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Buntereddy
Default energyhelpline.com phone calls:Not a scam

This cold call is from energy helpline . com. They have 3 call centres in India. Phone up their UK Freephone & check : 0800 074 0745 See Wiki entry for them.
You can ask them to call back at a specific time & they will. I did an on-phone comparison with them today and was told "I'm on a very good deal". It expires in March31 2014 & they said they would call back then.

I have done this 3 times in 5 years & they tell me the same thing every time. Where's the scam? They helped a friend save £400 per year getting rid of his BG contract.

However, I am not paranoid.
# 17
snowcat53
Old 24-04-2012, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So glad you enjoy being cold called from India Bunteredy. Most of us do not and do not take kindly to firms that ignore or sidestep TPS rules.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowcat53 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MillicentBystander
Old 17-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,301 Posts

Very recognisable spam (this isn't the first time either).