Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lijojo
    Not returning to work after maternity leave - am I entitled to benefits?
    • 5th May 10, 4:49 PM
    Not returning to work after maternity leave - am I entitled to benefits? 5th May 10 at 4:49 PM
    I'm hoping that someone may know the answer to this question

I am about to go on maternity leave in next few weeks. If I decide at end of maternity leave not to go back to work am I entitled to Income Support or any other benefits. I may have a problem with childcare and due to recent relationship breakdown will be single mother to 3 children, one 5 years old, 1 3 years old and the new baby when it arrives.

I have been told that if I resign from my job in the last month of maternity leave that because I am making myself out of work voluntarily I won't be able to claim anything. Is this correct? Not sure what I will live off as I live in a rural area and my childminder is my ex's sister who is already saying she may not want to continue to act as childminder and the cost of childcare and travel will prohibit me continuing in my job with 2 children under 5 years in childcare (even taking into account any tax credits) any advice would be appreciated.

I am at my wits end at what I am going to do as if I am unable to get or pay for childcare I am not sure what my options are likely to be other than stay at home but then what do I live off?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

6,467Users online

Martin's Twitter