Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snagglepuss16
    • By snagglepuss16 3rd May 10, 10:54 AM
    • 514Posts
    • 306Thanks
    snagglepuss16
    next ebay free listing day?
    • 3rd May 10, 10:54 AM
    next ebay free listing day? 3rd May 10 at 10:54 AM
    hi, title says it all really, does anyone know when the possibility of the next free listing day on ebay will be?
    many thanks
    let he without sin cast the first stone
Page 1
  • cyberbob
    • 3rd May 10, 10:57 AM
    • 3rd May 10, 10:57 AM
    They normally only let you know 3 days before. There was one a few weeks back so I wouldn't expect one till the back of June.
  • cyberbob
    • 3rd May 10, 11:21 AM
    • 3rd May 10, 11:21 AM
    I only list on free listing days now, especially after the fee hikes.
    Originally posted by cracker_jack
    Listing fees haven't increased since 2008. Final value fees you pay if its free listing or not.
  • babie gurl
    • 3rd May 10, 4:22 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 4:22 PM
    ohh just got an email about 100 free listings a month from ebay for all sellers ?? did you get it i think it came today i have tryed to copy and paste but i cannot
  • babie gurl
    • 3rd May 10, 4:24 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 4:24 PM
    In March 2009 we introduced zero insertion fees for private sellers in the UK and Ireland who list items in auction-style format with a starting price of £0.99 / 1.49 EUR or lower. Since this launch there has been a significant increase in both the number and variety of items listed for sale. This has been welcomed by buyers who are finding great deals.

However, a few sellers have been taking advantage of this pricing to list very large volumes of lower quality goods, creating a poor experience for buyers and other sellers. In order to keep the marketplace in balance, we are introducing a new limit on the number of auction-style listings that do not incur an insertion fee.

From 2 June 2010, all private sellers listing directly on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie will be entitled to 100 free auction-style listings per month. Thereafter the listings will incur an insertion fee.

eBay.co.uk
    this is the start of it
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd May 10, 4:38 PM
    • 8,177 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    RFW
    • 3rd May 10, 4:38 PM
    • 3rd May 10, 4:38 PM
    In March 2009 we introduced zero insertion fees for private sellers in the UK and Ireland who list items in auction-style format with a starting price of £0.99 / 1.49 EUR or lower. Since this launch there has been a significant increase in both the number and variety of items listed for sale. This has been welcomed by buyers who are finding great deals.

However, a few sellers have been taking advantage of this pricing to list very large volumes of lower quality goods, creating a poor experience for buyers and other sellers. In order to keep the marketplace in balance, we are introducing a new limit on the number of auction-style listings that do not incur an insertion fee.

From 2 June 2010, all private sellers listing directly on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie will be entitled to 100 free auction-style listings per month. Thereafter the listings will incur an insertion fee.

eBay.co.uk
    this is the start of it
    Originally posted by babie gurl
    That's about the restriction of free 99p listings to 100 per month. The free 99p start auctions have been in for some time now, it started March 2009. At that time and some time before most of the listing fees were reduced and gallery charges were also waived and the final value fees increased.

According to last years listing days the next free one will be at the end of June.

As it looks like some don't know the current listing fees in auction categories for private sellers is as follows
    Listings starting at between £0.01 – £0.99 are Free
    £1.00 - £4.99 is 15p
    £5.00 - £14.99 - 25p
    £15.00 - £29.99 - 50p
    £30.00 - £99.99 - £1.00
    £100 or more - £1.30

In media it is free up to 99p and 10p for £1 or more.

Final value fees are 10% up to a maximum of £40.

I can understand a problem with final value fees but waiting for free listing days seems rather pointless, given that the savings will generally be minimal.

Last edited by RFW; 03-05-2010 at 4:47 PM.
  • want2know2
    • 4th May 10, 1:05 PM
    • 4th May 10, 1:05 PM
    I'm waiting for that too , have 2 boxes full ....
    • goingsenile
    • By goingsenile 5th May 10, 12:34 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    goingsenile
    • 5th May 10, 12:34 AM
    • 5th May 10, 12:34 AM
    Just recieved an email from Ebay 10 MINS ago to say this weekend 8th and 9th May are free listing
    Aj
    • RFW
    • By RFW 5th May 10, 1:00 AM
    • 8,177 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    RFW
    • 5th May 10, 1:00 AM
    • 5th May 10, 1:00 AM
    Not pointless for me, I sold 19 items on the last free listing day.

Items were all high value items which would have cost me well over £20 to list.
    Originally posted by cracker_jack
    Which means you sold over £600 of goods, given that there is less competition during periods with no free listing days you may have achieved a higher sale price, just a theory.

Hope all those who see the free listing weekend as worthwhile do well this coming weekend.
  • prestonblue
    hi, title says it all really, does anyone know when the possibility of the next free listing day on ebay will be?
    many thanks
    Originally posted by snagglepuss16
    Ive just had a word with Ebay and they are doing a free listing this weekend 8th and 9th of May
    • Jonj1611
    • By Jonj1611 8th May 10, 9:54 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jonj1611
    Are there any conditions to the free listing? Just tried listing some items with a start price varying between 99p and 3.99 and they wanted a listing fee?

Jon
  • DigitalJedi
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/0IF_100508/index.html
  • cyberbob
    Are there any conditions to the free listing? Just tried listing some items with a start price varying between 99p and 3.99 and they wanted a listing fee?

Jon
    Originally posted by Jonj1611
    How does it say. Normally it will tell you the fee but when you look at the bottom total it will say £0
    • 2Sheds
    • By 2Sheds 29th Jun 10, 9:17 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    2Sheds
    Anyone know if a free listing day is on the cards soon?
    • snagglepuss16
    • By snagglepuss16 29th Jun 10, 10:13 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    snagglepuss16
    Anyone know if a free listing day is on the cards soon?
    Originally posted by 2Sheds
    there will prob be one around start of july, seems to be at the start of month, just a thought mind you,

also last free listing day i listed 43 items and sold 1
    so i just relisted and paid fees and have a few items with bids on now with a few days to go.
    Unless i have a high value item i'm going to avoid the free listing days.
    let he without sin cast the first stone
    • MadelinesMum
    • By MadelinesMum 29th Jun 10, 10:59 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    MadelinesMum
    Hi, the same happen to me - I listed loads of items and only sold a couple. I think Ebay becomes totally clogged with stuff on the free listing days and there's less chnce of selling/getting a good price for your items (in my experience - depends on what you are listing I suppose.)
    Last edited by MadelinesMum; 29-06-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: comprehension
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need.
    • 2Sheds
    • By 2Sheds 29th Jun 10, 1:49 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    2Sheds
    Hopefully it will be this Sunday, as I'm out the one after.

I use the free lisiting days to sell stuff cheap, for prices about £1.20 or £1.30, at least after the ebay and paypal fees you might get a £1.

Ebay isn't much good now for cheap selling, photograph, list, answer question, send invoice, wrap, post all for a £1
    • thriftymanc
    • By thriftymanc 23rd Jul 10, 12:06 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    thriftymanc
    July 24th and 25th are free listing - just had an email from eBay about it.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Jul 10, 7:47 AM
    • 57,298 Posts
    • 40,483 Thanks
    soolin
    July 24th and 25th are free listing - just had an email from eBay about it.
    Originally posted by thriftymanc
    It's being mentioned on the community boards but there is no announcement to link to yet. As soon as there is I'll start a new thread with the details. Thank you

EDIT: Found some details,
    Last edited by soolin; 23-07-2010 at 7:52 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Twombly Red
    eBay free listing
    Hello,

Does anyone have any idea if and when eBay will next have a free listing period?

Regards,
    Andrew.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,151Users online

Martin's Twitter