Accidental Damage Cover

Options
Hi all,

Im new to this forum. I've been having problems with my claim for accidental damage to my fridge freezer and this site was recommended by a friend.

Basically I was removing a bag of meat from the freezer which was frozen on the freezer itself. I took a butter knife to break away some of the ice so that I could get the bag out. In the process I hit the freezer itself and made a tiny crack in it. As a result there is a hissing sound coming from that crack, the sound of leaking gas. I have switched the entire thing off from the mains and contacted my insurance company.

I told them the whole story and they have refused to take my claim any further on the grounds that I didn't follow the manufacturers guidelins??? What guidelines? How to accidentally damag the freezer!?

I am awaiting the letter from them detailing why they can't carry this claim forward and what I need to do if I disagree.

Any comments from you guys? Anyone been in a similar situation? What do I do?

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which Insurer has told you this ?

It sounds like the sort of things Halifax, Groupama or MMA would say
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2010 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Do you have the handbook? Read it! It may well warn against using knives/sharp objects to clear ice etc or when de-frosting. Often they even provide a plastic scraper for the purpose.

It is still worth pursuing the claim however. Look up their appeals/complaints procedure.
  • Hamza
    Hamza Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I purchased the insurance through e-home insurance and the insurer is Aviva. I have the handbook for the fridge and it states " DO NOT USE SHARP INSTRUMENTS to scrape off frost or ice". I was using a butter knife, completely round and in no way, shape or form was it "sharp".

I guess that't what you get for being honest. I should have just cooked up a lie and told them the food was also damaged. Insurance companies are nothing other than day light robbers!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    Write them a letter outlining the item you used and the advice given in the handbook. In addition point out that the handbook states "Do not use a sharp instrument to scrap OFF ICE" and that not only did you use a blunt knife but also that you were not scraping off ice at the time.

Keep the letter polite and concise, advise them if you do not receive a satisfactory response you will them make an "Official Complaint" and if that fails go to the Ombudsman.

That should get your claim sorted out
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    Never mind the policy booklet or letters to the ombudsman, what about common sense and lack of reasonable care?
  • Hamza
    Options
    I was thinking of going to the citizenz advice bureau with all the letters and documents. I have absolutley everything from the insurance policy to the appliance handbook. Do you think that would be of any use. I've never done this sort of thin before.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    Common sense (or a lack of it) is irrelevant in insurance. To go with a repudiation for reasonable care the insurer should prove recklessness, which in essence means that the OP took no steps to prevent loss. In this case all she would need to do is say that she used a blunt knife to avoid damage.

Dont bother with the Citizens Advice- insurers have their own ombudsmen who unlike the CAB can force insurers to pay, and they are far more consumer friendly than contract law ever is.
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    1. You're being very sexist/presumptuous to think that the OP is a woman.
    2. The common sense I was referring to was the method adopted to free the frozen item. By your rationale they could have used a drill and that would be "okay".

It really bugs me when people accuse insurers of being crooks when they themselves have acted like numpties.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Write them a letter outlining the item you used and the advice given in the handbook. In addition point out that the handbook states "Do not use a sharp instrument to scrap OFF ICE" and that not only did you use a blunt knife but also that you were not scraping off ice at the time.

According to the OP they were!
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Hamza
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I shall waite until I receive that letter and I'll take it from there. I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully it should be straight forward (says optimistically).

PS. Flamecloud, I am a he not a she. lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure