Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Nice Username
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:32 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:32 PM
    Hello brother!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Apr 10, 12:47 PM
    • 33,192 Posts
    • 138,073 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:47 PM
    Almost double my double glazing guy said! I think he was trying to discourage me, but it certainly is a lot more.

One cheaper option is to have brown upvc sills and the windows white.
  • Cool Username
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:49 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:49 PM
    Brilliant thanks for such a quick response Silvercar - I thought it'd be at least half as much again for brown. White it is then!
  • Cool Username
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:50 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 12:50 PM
    Hello brother!
    Originally posted by Nice Username
    Hello! Haven't seen you before!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Apr 10, 1:44 PM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Apr 10, 1:44 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 1:44 PM
    Brown windows from a cheap place will be cheaper than white windows from an expensive place.
  • carpedieme
    • 3rd Apr 10, 1:58 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 1:58 PM
    hi, a few weeks ago we had brown upvc windows doors etc brown on the outside white on the inside to stop it being dark in the house, we are very pleased with them, they cost about twentypercent more than whitewindows. hope it helps
    • deanos
    • By deanos 3rd Apr 10, 2:01 PM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    deanos
    • 3rd Apr 10, 2:01 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 2:01 PM
    Its at least 10k dearer
  • cally1
    • 3rd Apr 10, 2:27 PM
    • 3rd Apr 10, 2:27 PM
    You have to pay extra to have the brown ones! They are hideous!!!!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 3rd Apr 10, 2:40 PM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    deanos
    Depends on the house to be fair, white ones look hideous on some houses
  • cally1
    Sorry didn't mean to offend, but I always assumed they were cheaper as they don't look as good as the white ones in my humble opinion. But waht do I know!
    • Bonbon
    • By Bonbon 3rd Apr 10, 3:39 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Bonbon
    When I asked about brown windows a couple of years ago I was told they are about 20% more.
  • cazlina
    Hi we've had quotes from 3 different window companies recently and they have all said 20% extra for brown windows.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 3rd Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    casper_g
    It's not just a question of brown or white! My parents' neighbours had black upvc frames with white beading round the glass to match the paint scheme they used to have. They also had the proportions of the windows made to the original pattern with the same number/size of panes, and even had the upper part made re-using the stained glass lights from the originals. I suspect they paid significantly more than they would have done for the cheapest option....
  • Cool Username
    Thanks for all the replies everyone
  • nickj
    brown ones don't fade or show discolouring , white ones do discolour if you don't keep them clean , i had brown on the outside and white inside after doing work for one of my customers and seeing that their brown windows still look new after 10yrs , i don't believe they cost a lot more ,
    • Plasterer
    • By Plasterer 4th Apr 10, 10:08 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Plasterer
    brown ones don't fade or show discolouring , white ones do discolour if you don't keep them clean , i had brown on the outside and white inside after doing work for one of my customers and seeing that their brown windows still look new after 10yrs , i don't believe they cost a lot more ,
    Originally posted by nickj
    Depends whther the winows have been made from virgin materials or recycled plastics. The recycled ones discolour easier/quicker than ones made with virgin materials.
  • Inactive
    Originally posted by nickj
    They certainly do fade badly in south facing environments.
    • AndysDad
    • By AndysDad 4th Apr 10, 2:25 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    AndysDad
    Some people don't get a choice.We have been told that we have to have brown frames.They seem to be about 15-20% dearer.Not quite sure what would happen if we ignored advice as I don't know if they can force you to put in brown frames.
  • jenhugs
    Just to join in the debate as I have had a quote today for oak windows. They are about 20% dearer. I actually prefer the oak effect windows on the older houses I have 2 large bays and had quote for 2.8k with a smaller window. What does everyone think that was 1.3k for bottom bay and 1.2 k for top.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter