Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Never paid a gas bill. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Never paid a gas bill.
Closed Thread
Views: 3,384
# 1
DrO
Old 02-08-2006, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Never paid a gas bill.

A non-internet connected friend tells me he has never paid a gas bill. The property he bought had no gas supply He got a gas supply fitted into the property and then about twelve months later had a central heating system installed. He says as no one contacted him he just forgot about it until recently.

If he contacted a supplier now would they bill him from the day he contacted them or for gas used since he started using it?

He buried his head in the sand because he thinks they will bill him from day one however I don't think he will have to pay it as technically he hasn't run up the liability with anyone as he doesn't have a designated supplier.

Someone else- in the pub( obviously)- told him the furthest back they can bill him is for three months.

Does anybody know the definative answer?
# 2
saubryn
Old 02-08-2006, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm a bit rusty - its been a while since I worked for a utility company, but I'm fairly sure that when he got the gas connected he'll have had a supplier - even if they haven't billed him.

If he rings M-Number on this number: 0870 6081524 they'll be able to tell him who supplies the property.

If he's really worried, he could contact the local CAB and ask them for advice before speaking to any utility companies. They'll be able to advise better.
DFW Nerd No. 140
Status as of 30/11/12
Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800 IF - 8000 British Gas - 112 - 102 Lloyds - 1123
Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500
# 3
DrO
Old 02-08-2006, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for youe response.

He is pretty certain he isn't allocated to anyone as he had a letter from a company who stated they moniter who your suppliers are and that they have no supplier registered for him and to get in touch with them to inform who he is paying his gas too.

What are the implications of ringing that number? Is he in the system then?

If he was to contact a supplier and tell them he had just moved into the property and he wished for them to supply his gas would this solve his problem? Or would they require details of who the "previous owner" was paying their gas too?
# 4
masonic
Old 02-08-2006, 8:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO
If he was to contact a supplier and tell them he had just moved into the property and he wished for them to supply his gas would this solve his problem? Or would they require details of who the "previous owner" was paying their gas too?
They would check to see if they supplied gas to the property and if they didn't, would require your friend to register an account with the current supplier before they could take over... a bit difficult if there really is no current supplier.

I would imagine if he doesn't get it sorted, the gas supply will be cut off at some point.
# 5
firespire
Old 02-08-2006, 8:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Personally I think he is liable to pay for the gas he has used whether or not he has been billed for it. If it was me I would be calculating how much I owed and be storing it away in a bank account until someone decides to bill me.
Even if he didn't have a supplier billing company I would assume he would still owe the money to transco (or whatever they are called) don't they pipe the gas?
The Following User Says Thank You to firespire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Gal
Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If he had pipes laid. Then has a meter someone is supplying him. As the meter has to be installed by a designated supplier. Someone will be supplying his gas. And as a result he will be billed from Day 1. The only time a supplier will write that debt off is if they have not billed him for 2 years. Then by the guidelines the supplier signs up to with the energy ombudsmen (Yes the New company) will mean they will be breaking there code of conduct.

What he will probably find if the supplier has not been billing him they will spread the cost over the year and maybe offer some form of compensation as a goodwill gesture.
# 7
DrO
Old 03-08-2006, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal
If he had pipes laid. Then has a meter someone is supplying him. As the meter has to be installed by a designated supplier. Someone will be supplying his gas. And as a result he will be billed from Day 1. The only time a supplier will write that debt off is if they have not billed him for 2 years. Then by the guidelines the supplier signs up to with the energy ombudsmen (Yes the New company) will mean they will be breaking there code of conduct.

What he will probably find if the supplier has not been billing him they will spread the cost over the year and maybe offer some form of compensation as a goodwill gesture.

So if he hasn't been billed for 2 years will they write off the total debt or bill him for the last two years?

It is 5 years that he hasn't had a bill for.

Thanks again for all your replies.
# 8
chugalug
Old 03-08-2006, 4:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is happening more and more because there are so many suppliers.

I had a housing association property which had been bought by them and modernised in 1997 - I then moved in. I constantly tried to find out who was supplying me with gas but no-one could tell me. I rang transco, all the gas companies and my HA but no-one knew. I moved out in 2004 having never paid a bill. I volunteered my money, I begged someone to take it from me but no one wanted it.

AFAIK, you can only be billed if it can be proved you used the gas - how can they do that?? I even took meter readings when I moved in ready for the day I was billed but nothing.

Your friend just has to keep trying - and put some money away for the great day.(unless of course he's planning on moving out soon!)
~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
# 9
masonic
Old 03-08-2006, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO
So if he hasn't been billed for 2 years will they write off the total debt or bill him for the last two years?
Who's to say what the meter reading actually was 2 years ago? It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
# 10
Gal
Old 04-08-2006, 8:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They cannot bill him futher back then 2 years. So any monies so if he hasn't been billed for 5 years then they can only charge him for 2 at the most.

Although 2 years of gas would be pretty expensive.

As for the meter reading from 2 years ago. Seperate companies read the meters in different areas so it is possible that the company in his area has records of his readings over time. If Its a national grid pipeline they send someone out to read the meters occasionally as well.
# 11
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 04-08-2006, 8:59 AM

Question

If he has been using the gas...why shouldn't he pay? Everyone else has too!

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
# 12
missk_ensington
Old 04-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I never paid a gas or elec bill at my last property. It was a new build (we were the first residents) and we waited and waited for something through the post to say who our supplier was. 3 months went by...4 months and then got a knock on the dor from some sales person from Scottish Power, he asked who my current supplier was and I said I had no idea. He made a quick call and using my postcode ascertrained we were still on temporary pipes! Apparently some people slip through the net in new build properties and were one of them.

Anyway, this sales guy told me to keep on as I was because they would never find out, and if they did it would be impossible to work out how much of it was mine and what was used whilst housew was being built and during the first couple of months before we moved in.

Ive since left that property and no one has even mentioned it! I think the new people are also on free gas and elec!
# 13
Derek_A.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree with Penny Pincher, of course if you use it pay for it.
Ther are far to many people in this world who always want something for nothing.
Someone has to pay, if you dont the rest of us have to.
# 14
missk_ensington
Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My mum always said 'there are only two sorts of people in this world; the quick and the dead'
# 15
scot_lad1982
Old 04-08-2006, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If he was to phone transco they would say they were shipperless. This would then be classed as a new supply. He would then have to register with any supplier as a new supply. He would need his MPR (Meter Point Reference) number and his meter serial number and a current reading. I doubt he would be billed for the gas. He could keep quiet however transco have 1000s of sites like these. I think one day they would allocate him a supplier. Tell him to phone energywatch they would be the best for the advice.
# 16
anniecave
Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 PM

We thought we were getting free electrity, until Npower woke up to an unpaid bill for our meter, they finally got the supply address corrected on a computer and the bill for £1200 odd arrived!

Your gas situation is different, as it's an new connection, but I'd be honest about it. Energywatch would be a good point of call. They were useless with our problems, but are generally quite good.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
# 17
CheekyLittleMonkey
Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know of someone (my best mate) who is in the exactly same situation. Moved into a new build 5yrs ago and does not know who the electricity supplier is, never had any posts/mail or knocks at the door, and is constantly looking over her shoulder should that day come......
# 18
wowsavings
Old 09-08-2006, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We all like to get something for nothing, but be careful.

This person knows that they are using the gas, they know that they are not paying for it and they know that gas isn't free.

Therefore, that could be regarded as theft/fraud.

They do need to find out who the supplier is and get registered. Looking at previous posts, they can expect to see a bill for 2 years usage which they will have to pay. The supplier should let them spread the cost though.
# 19
DavidF
Old 09-08-2006, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My cousin had a bill for nearly 6000 for 2 years of dual supply. The situation arose when he switched from his origional supplier to one of the alternatives. They simply didnt take the aggreed DD out of his bank account every month. Unfortunately when they realised their error they demanded all of the monies owed back. The cost is being spread over time as they have been put onto a higher tarrif which incorperates the deficit. He realises that he used the gas and must pay but he was a little taken aback at the amount owed and the fact that it was not his mistake but the suppliers. But they did insist on full payment and at 1st came over quite heavy handed and were demanding the full amount in 28 days accompanied with threats to cut off ect. He contacted CAB who inturn arranged the repayment over a reasonable time.
# 20
seven-day-weekend
Old 09-08-2006, 8:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF
My cousin had a bill for nearly 6000 for 2 years of dual supply. The situation arose when he switched from his origional supplier to one of the alternatives. They simply didnt take the aggreed DD out of his bank account every month. Unfortunately when they realised their error they demanded all of the monies owed back. .
Didn't he realise they were not taking the DD out?

Had he had any bills?

Not just your cousin, but all the other people who've had no bills, surely they don't think it can be right just to keep quiet about it?
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
Closed Thread