Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair?
Closed Thread
Views: 30,748
# 1
snit_girl
Old 22-03-2010, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair?

here's the story - I got off the train tonight, went to get my car as usual and when I went to move it there was a horrible grinding noise from the front drivers side. Got out for a look and that side had dropped right down. Called the garage and drove there at about 5mph (with smoke coming from the tyre). Guy at the garage says it's most likely a broken spring and I'll prob have lost my tyre (brand new in Jan )

anyway, just trying to get an idea of the cost, trying to brace myself as this is a pretty lean month for me already
# 2
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 22-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

No more than an hour's labour, the cost of the spring, and a new tyre + fitting and balancing etc.

I'd be surprised if you were looking at more than £200, although it may be worth asking the mechanic to replace both springs, left and right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pew Pew Pew Lasers! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
snit_girl
Old 22-03-2010, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks. so much better than I was expecting. Got a good mechanic, pal of my uncles so he usually gives me a good deal.
# 4
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 22-03-2010, 11:16 PM

Generally they just use a special spring compressor tool (like a g-clamp but designed for springs) to squash the spring down, remove it, and then do the opposite with the new spring. It doesn't take long.
# 5
CHR15
Old 22-03-2010, 11:21 PM

You were lucky. I had a front spring go whilst I was driving around a roundabout.

Tremendous BANG and the car went all over the place. I managed to limp off the roundabout to a side street.

My front 3 week old tyre had been shredded to bits, part of the spring was still buried inside the tyre.

The AA bloke said he deals with about 3 of these cases a week. Too many speed bumps, too many low profile tyres.
# 6
snit_girl
Old 23-03-2010, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

got both springs replaced (the other one was fractured) and a new tyre, cost me £276. Not as bad as I was expecting, still rubbish though. Think I'll avoid speed bumps and potholes a bit more carefully now
The Following User Says Thank You to snit_girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Hintza
Old 24-03-2010, 8:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snit_girl View Post
got both springs replaced (the other one was fractured) and a new tyre, cost me £276. Not as bad as I was expecting, still rubbish though. Think I'll avoid speed bumps and potholes a bit more carefully now
I agree get both done.

European manufacturers are not tapering the spring ends (to save money) which is leading to corrosion and premature failure.
“Every time you come to Russia with a sword, from a sword you will perish.” Aleksandr Zakharchenko August 2014. An apt warning!
# 8
robchap
Old 24-03-2010, 8:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

whats the age of the car and what cc is the engine ?

Ford Fiesta 1.1 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.2 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Front Coil Spring (SP100) (2001 - 2004) - £ 27.54

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Front Coil Spring (SP100) (2001 - 2004) - £ 27.54

Last edited by robchap; 24-03-2010 at 8:46 AM.
# 9
cyclonebri1
Old 24-03-2010, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew Pew Pew Lasers! View Post
No more than an hour's labour, the cost of the spring, and a new tyre + fitting and balancing etc.

I'd be surprised if you were looking at more than £200, although it may be worth asking the mechanic to replace both springs, left and right.
Yep, definately change both springs, will probably save you the 2nd tyre.

Cost, £25 max for the spring plus 1 to 2 hrs labour if the tyre or brake hose is damaged, plus the tyre cost itself. Get them to put the spare on to save them charging you for taking the tyre to be changed
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
# 10
jimnastics
Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same problem as the original poster. My front left suspension spring has gone, luckily it must have gone overnight rather than whilst driving... the tyre looks fine. However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs Seems to me to be pretty excessive, though I guess you expect that from a dealer. Is this way too much? Should I be phoning around local independant garages for quotes?
# 11
DoubleTop
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

yes, definately phone around. I just had some work done by a mobile mechanics firm at less than half the price of a dealership. Less overheads for them, just a van with a lot of equipment in

DT.
# 12
colino
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Get your friendly local independent to do it. Simple, quick and easy job and much cheaper than you've been quoted.
# 13
jimnastics
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks chaps, a local indie quoted £170 for both, so it's booked in for Monday Here's another question... what's the best way to get the car to the garage, considering it's completely not driveable with the wheel arch having collapsed onto the tyre? I am an RAC member, do they deal with these sorts of things?
The Following User Says Thank You to jimnastics For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Rochdale_Guy
Old 27-04-2011, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is this what I've suffered then with my 2004 Fiesta, but only "milder"? I have no burst tyres or collapsed arches...

Here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3196834
£24,825.68 owed with a crazy CCCS debt free date of 2034 2031 .... oh fcuk...
"I don't wanna die, but I ain't keen on living either......"
# 15
Hammyman
Old 27-04-2011, 5:02 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnastics View Post
However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs
chuffin ell. My local Ford dealer would be under £200.
# 16
cyclonebri1
Old 28-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnastics View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same problem as the original poster. My front left suspension spring has gone, luckily it must have gone overnight rather than whilst driving... the tyre looks fine. However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs Seems to me to be pretty excessive, though I guess you expect that from a dealer. Is this way too much? Should I be phoning around local independant garages for quotes?
Almost invariably they go on the drive or in a car park. IE, when making large steering changes and when cold as the steel is more brittle then.
I picked up a car for a friend only 3 weeks ago, drove it back 60 miles and parked it in his drive. He went to fill the tank the next day and the spring snapped on the drive
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclonebri1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
tillycat123
Old 29-04-2011, 5:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had this happen to my smart car a few weeks ago. Small garage quoted £100 to replace and labour, then decided when it was up on the ramp it need new disc breaks and pads. Cost me nearly £400 to get fixed.
# 18
alastairq
Old 29-04-2011, 5:33 PM

£400?

That's more than I would pay for a whole car!

why are Ford springs breaking so frequently?

Last time I had a spring break, it was the [2nd] wife's Renault five..I happened to climb in behind the wheel and boinnnng, it went.

Easy to replace, being a torsion bar...but what was not so easy to live with was the grief I got from the family!
No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
# 19
alastairq
Old 29-04-2011, 5:36 PM

Quote:
new disc brakes and pads.
in a way, perhaps a blessing?

They would only have needed replacing a short while later..or at MoT time...
No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
# 20
Rochdale_Guy
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

again, please also read my thread, here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1#post43310734
Closed Thread