Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snit_girl
    • By snit_girl 22nd Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 85Thanks
    snit_girl
    Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair?
    • 22nd Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    Fiesta suspension spring - cost to repair? 22nd Mar 10 at 10:23 PM
    here's the story - I got off the train tonight, went to get my car as usual and when I went to move it there was a horrible grinding noise from the front drivers side. Got out for a look and that side had dropped right down. Called the garage and drove there at about 5mph (with smoke coming from the tyre). Guy at the garage says it's most likely a broken spring and I'll prob have lost my tyre (brand new in Jan )

anyway, just trying to get an idea of the cost, trying to brace myself as this is a pretty lean month for me already
Page 1
  • Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:10 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:10 PM
    No more than an hour's labour, the cost of the spring, and a new tyre + fitting and balancing etc.

I'd be surprised if you were looking at more than £200, although it may be worth asking the mechanic to replace both springs, left and right.
    • snit_girl
    • By snit_girl 22nd Mar 10, 11:13 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    snit_girl
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:13 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:13 PM
    thanks. so much better than I was expecting. Got a good mechanic, pal of my uncles so he usually gives me a good deal.
  • Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:16 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:16 PM
    Generally they just use a special spring compressor tool (like a g-clamp but designed for springs) to squash the spring down, remove it, and then do the opposite with the new spring. It doesn't take long.
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 22nd Mar 10, 11:21 PM
    • 4,801 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    CHR15
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:21 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 11:21 PM
    You were lucky. I had a front spring go whilst I was driving around a roundabout.

Tremendous BANG and the car went all over the place. I managed to limp off the roundabout to a side street.

My front 3 week old tyre had been shredded to bits, part of the spring was still buried inside the tyre.

The AA bloke said he deals with about 3 of these cases a week. Too many speed bumps, too many low profile tyres.
    • snit_girl
    • By snit_girl 23rd Mar 10, 10:57 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    snit_girl
    • 23rd Mar 10, 10:57 PM
    • 23rd Mar 10, 10:57 PM
    got both springs replaced (the other one was fractured) and a new tyre, cost me £276. Not as bad as I was expecting, still rubbish though. Think I'll avoid speed bumps and potholes a bit more carefully now
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 24th Mar 10, 8:16 AM
    • 18,400 Posts
    • 12,490 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 24th Mar 10, 8:16 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 8:16 AM
    got both springs replaced (the other one was fractured) and a new tyre, cost me £276. Not as bad as I was expecting, still rubbish though. Think I'll avoid speed bumps and potholes a bit more carefully now
    Originally posted by snit_girl
    I agree get both done.

European manufacturers are not tapering the spring ends (to save money) which is leading to corrosion and premature failure.
    Truth is like poetry. Most people don't like poetry!
  • robchap
    • 24th Mar 10, 8:42 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 8:42 AM
    whats the age of the car and what cc is the engine ?

Ford Fiesta 1.1 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.2 Front Coil Spring (SP032) (1996 - 2001) - £ 23.71

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Front Coil Spring (SP100) (2001 - 2004) - £ 27.54

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Front Coil Spring (SP100) (2001 - 2004) - £ 27.54
    Last edited by robchap; 24-03-2010 at 8:46 AM.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 24th Mar 10, 9:27 AM
    • 12,413 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:27 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:27 AM
    No more than an hour's labour, the cost of the spring, and a new tyre + fitting and balancing etc.

I'd be surprised if you were looking at more than £200, although it may be worth asking the mechanic to replace both springs, left and right.
    Originally posted by Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
    Yep, definately change both springs, will probably save you the 2nd tyre.

Cost, £25 max for the spring plus 1 to 2 hrs labour if the tyre or brake hose is damaged, plus the tyre cost itself. Get them to put the spare on to save them charging you for taking the tyre to be changed
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
  • jimnastics
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same problem as the original poster. My front left suspension spring has gone, luckily it must have gone overnight rather than whilst driving... the tyre looks fine. However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs Seems to me to be pretty excessive, though I guess you expect that from a dealer. Is this way too much? Should I be phoning around local independant garages for quotes?
  • DoubleTop
    yes, definately phone around. I just had some work done by a mobile mechanics firm at less than half the price of a dealership. Less overheads for them, just a van with a lot of equipment in

DT.
    • colino
    • By colino 11th Feb 11, 11:40 AM
    • 4,944 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    colino
    Get your friendly local independent to do it. Simple, quick and easy job and much cheaper than you've been quoted.
  • jimnastics
    Thanks chaps, a local indie quoted £170 for both, so it's booked in for Monday Here's another question... what's the best way to get the car to the garage, considering it's completely not driveable with the wheel arch having collapsed onto the tyre? I am an RAC member, do they deal with these sorts of things?
    • Rochdale_Guy
    • By Rochdale_Guy 27th Apr 11, 2:52 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Rochdale_Guy
    Is this what I've suffered then with my 2004 Fiesta, but only "milder"? I have no burst tyres or collapsed arches...

Here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3196834
    £24,825.68 owed with a crazy CCCS debt free date of 2034 2031 .... oh fcuk...
    "I don't wanna die, but I ain't keen on living either......"
  • Hammyman
    However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs
    Originally posted by jimnastics
    chuffin ell. My local Ford dealer would be under £200.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 28th Apr 11, 10:43 PM
    • 12,413 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the same problem as the original poster. My front left suspension spring has gone, luckily it must have gone overnight rather than whilst driving... the tyre looks fine. However, my local Ford garage (official dealer) has quoted £344 just to replace both front springs Seems to me to be pretty excessive, though I guess you expect that from a dealer. Is this way too much? Should I be phoning around local independant garages for quotes?
    Originally posted by jimnastics
    Almost invariably they go on the drive or in a car park. IE, when making large steering changes and when cold as the steel is more brittle then.
    I picked up a car for a friend only 3 weeks ago, drove it back 60 miles and parked it in his drive. He went to fill the tank the next day and the spring snapped on the drive
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
    • tillycat123
    • By tillycat123 29th Apr 11, 5:11 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    tillycat123
    I had this happen to my smart car a few weeks ago. Small garage quoted £100 to replace and labour, then decided when it was up on the ramp it need new disc breaks and pads. Cost me nearly £400 to get fixed.
    • alastairq
    • By alastairq 29th Apr 11, 5:33 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    alastairq
    £400?

That's more than I would pay for a whole car!

why are Ford springs breaking so frequently?

Last time I had a spring break, it was the [2nd] wife's Renault five..I happened to climb in behind the wheel and boinnnng, it went.

Easy to replace, being a torsion bar...but what was not so easy to live with was the grief I got from the family!
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
    • alastairq
    • By alastairq 29th Apr 11, 5:36 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    alastairq
    new disc brakes and pads.
    in a way, perhaps a blessing?

They would only have needed replacing a short while later..or at MoT time...
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
    • Rochdale_Guy
    • By Rochdale_Guy 3rd May 11, 10:31 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Rochdale_Guy
    again, please also read my thread, here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43310734&posted=1#post43310734
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,631Posts Today

6,616Users online

Martin's Twitter