Bought makeup item but think its a fake

Options
Hi there
I bought a mac make up eyeshadow off ebay, color was listed and I checked on mac official site and it wasnt listed so I assumed it was an old one that was discontinued
Recieved the item on saturday and the label of bottom of pallet has been peeled off, same on the box. So there is no way to tell what color name it is.
Thought it looked nice enough anyway so I put it on while doing my make up. Loaded up my eyeshadow brush and put it on, but only there was virtually no color going on my eyelids. Had to put about 10 coats on to get even the slightest color and even then it was very faint.
I was going into town anyway so took it with me and asked at the mac counter about it. Girl tried it on back of her hand and she thinks it is a different brand of pallet been put in the little black tub.
When I got home I emailed the seller and asked if it was perhaps a seconds item that wasnt very good so never made it to the counters. Also asked why there was no labels on it to state what the color was.
She replied saying she bought it like that from mac and as I have tried it its now second hand so she will not give a refund on a second hand make up item.

Where do I stand with this? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kerrydrobertson
    Options
    there is so many fake Mac products and is really difficult to tell i think. If you think the item is fake and Mac dont think its a genuine product then it probably isnt. Check their feedback and see what other products they have been selling/sold.
    Usually if they wont refund you you can open a dispute saying product isnt as described (i think) and paypal will probably refund you.
    Hope this is right! Just posting on my previous experience
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    I havnt yet told her about what the girl at mac has said about it. I wanted to see what she would say when I queried the eyeshadow.
    I also dont think mac would sell a customer an eyeshadow where they have pre-peeled the color lable of the box and also underneath the shadow itself!

What do you think I should reply with after her saying its now second hand and I cant get a refund? x
  • emerald_starcat
    Options
    Go to the ebay resolution centre and open a SNAD dispute.
    My daughters are my world
  • Chopsie&Chelvis
    Options
    I'd not be inclined to say it's fake in the dispute though as then ebay ask for proof, which can be hard to get. I'd say it's just 'not as described' as it's not a Mac eyeshadow - paypal seem to always err on the side of the buyer and just tell you to send it back, then they issue your refund. Not an expert though, just my [bad] experiences!
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Mac do not allow their products to be sold on ebay. Neither do benefit. Almost all the stuff listed on there is fake. A bit like tiffany & louis vuitton.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the eyeshadow come with a mirror in the lid? Sure fire way to tell it's a fake.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • VanyaHargreeves
    Options
    Almost certainly a fake. What was the colour listed as?
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • karenx
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Well I opened a claim on the girl. Stated what had happened. Also asked why the labels were peeled off. She said she bought it like that from mac counter. I said there is no way mac would peel the label of the box and tub before selling it! She said that they definatly did.
    Also queried the color and she said I was to trust her it was the color "soft petal" as its a soft pink color and that I obviously like the color otherwise I wouldnt of bought it. I also queried the color name to the girl at mac and she hadnt heard of it. I feel like Im just going to go round in circles with this girl. She said I am not getting a refund and If I dont like the eyeshadow I should just throw it in the bin. And then what- I will be £5 down for nothing? Dont think so!

Auntie-Dolly- Is there anything in the ebay policy that says they do not allow their products to be sold? Thanks
  • VanyaHargreeves
    Options
    I'm a bit of a MAC geek and I've never heard of that colour either.
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • karenx
    Options
    Well the conversation went back and forth for sometime and I knew I was going to get nowhere. She is adament its real and bought it with the labels peeled off and she will not accept it back as its now been used. So I escelated it. And paypal are asking me for proof that its not a mac item! So Iv sent them links to everything I can find that states colors of mac eyeshadows. And Im going to go to the mac counter and get a letter written on headed paper, if they have it, or a receipt, to state they have never heard of that color and the shadow isnt the same as what it should be.
    Fingers crossed. All for £4.20 but thats not the point!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure