Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    james_joyce
    Upgrading car driving licence from automatic to manual
    • 22nd Mar 10, 12:16 AM
    Upgrading car driving licence from automatic to manual 22nd Mar 10 at 12:16 AM
    Hi

A friend of mine has had an automatic licence for several years and would like to upgrade to manual.

Would he need to do the theory test again? He did the original theory test before they brought in the hazard perception test. Is the practical test the same as the standard manual test, ie not a shortened version?

Is his automatic licence affected if he fails the test, eg on a Dangerous fault? Does the examiner have the power to revoke that licence? (Presumably not).

If I want to allow him to practise in my car, presumably we need L plates and the usual rules apply, eg not going on motorways etc?

How does insurance work? Do we say his licence is 'provisional'? Are we likely to get a cheaper premium than with a 'genuine' learner driver, ie does he get credit for his experience in driving automatics?

Thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,555Users online

Martin's Twitter