IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
want to sell old clothes
Closed Thread
Views: 9,912
# 1
ollow
Old 19-03-2010, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default want to sell old clothes

hi

i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, whilst sorting out my attic i have come across a lot of my nan's clothes and me and mum have deceided now is the time to let them go.

i have set up an ebay account to make some extra money for hols (reason for sorting out attic) and i was wondering what would be the best way to list them, they are at least 20 years old, but i don't know if they would be classed as vintage.

we are happy to let them go for .99p each so that the money can go towards buying my kids something nice whilst in wdw to remember their great nan by

sorry for the long winded post
# 2
emerald_starcat
Old 19-03-2010, 2:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Look at what is fashionable now - go in Topshop etc, to see what is selling, and see if you have anything that is fashionable now, as fashions come back round.

It really depends on what you have to sell.

How old are the clothes and what age group would wear them?
# 3
ollow
Old 19-03-2010, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

they are anywhere between 20-30 yrs old possibly older, they have been in my attic for 10yrs, i would have said they'd be suitable for a female aged about 60 i know i wouldn't wear them and i'm mid 30's but then you get some really trendy 60 year olds so i'm not to sure
# 4
soolin
Old 19-03-2010, 3:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

That isn't a good market on ebay unfortunately, the clothes that sell are usually aimed at a slightly younger market.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 5
OrkneyStar
Old 19-03-2010, 3:19 PM

Why don't you list a few things at 99p (plus sensible postage) or maybe take advantage of free listing tomorrow ? See how it goes.
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
# 6
goanmad
Old 19-03-2010, 3:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Do you mean that they are a bit frumpy? I listed some rather nice older lady dresses last year that a kind lady brought for her 80 year old mother as she found the styles she liked hard to get hold of. They didn't sell for much but if you start at 99p and offer a postage discount if more than one item is bought I'm sure you'll be able to sell them.
The Following User Says Thank You to goanmad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
ollow
Old 19-03-2010, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks for the good advice,

i think i might just give it a go, theres a lot of trousers and tops, i'm finding them hard to describe but they are the kind of trousers with elastic backs and a sewn in crease down the front, and the tops are mainly jumpers but with a small holey pattern on the front the kind of thing you used to buy in marks and spencer, funny enough there's a photo of my nan with me as a baby with her in the same kind of trousers so at least 35 years old

Last edited by ollow; 19-03-2010 at 4:03 PM. Reason: forgot how old i was
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ollow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
OrkneyStar
Old 19-03-2010, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollow View Post
thanks for the good advice,

i think i might just give it a go, theres a lot of trousers and tops, i'm finding them hard to describe but they are the kind of trousers with elastic backs and a sewn in crease down the front, and the tops are mainly jumpers but with a small holey pattern on the front the kind of thing you used to buy in marks and spencer, funny enough there's a photo of my nan with me as a baby with her in the same kind of trousers so at least 35 years old
Just watch out you don't start feeling all sad when you start taking photos and going through the clothes .
All the best.
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
# 9
ollow
Old 19-03-2010, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thank you, i'm all prepared for that, going to get the kids out for the weekend and will sit with a bottle of wine and some chocs and plod on
The Following User Says Thank You to ollow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
kbh4031
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would do a completed listings search on every item with a brand tag in....some old clothes are very desirable. Takes a while but would be worth it if you found a gem hiding
Most of the old clothes I put in my shop seem to go...
# 11
kbh4031
Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just to add Selling clothing by weight is not a good idea unless you are going to throw out the clothes anyway, a friend of mine sold 6 blacks bags full to the brim...some nice brands too and they gave her 24!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kbh4031 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Buggles
Old 04-08-2010, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This thread is 5 months old. Also interesting that we now have two people who mention "Cash4Clothes" today....
Closed Thread