MOT expired - insurance and tax still valid?

Options
9wizard9
9wizard9 Posts: 120 Forumite
Hi everyone - quick question (though I've a horrible feeling I already know the answer)

My OH has just noticed that her car is about a week overdue for its MOT. She's trying to get this booked in somewhere in the next day or two.

In the meantime, does the fact that the MOT has expired mean that the insurance and tax are currently invalid? If so, presumably the car should stay off the road until the MOT is sorted?

Thanks for any advice you can offer - I suspect I'll be getting the train to work!

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is illegal to use the car on the road without a valid MOT and any ANPR check would probably pick you up.

As for invalidating the other two that is really a moot point.

But at least you wouldn't be fined for no insurance and no tax.
  • 9wizard9
    9wizard9 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Fair enough, that's what I thought. What about if the car is stolen off the drive - is the insurance still valid? Unlikely hopefully, but just curious now.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say so yes.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind an insurance company will do everything to wriggle out of paying, not having a valid mot will just give them more leverage.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    I would say so yes.

And so would I.

Although it is illegal and you should not now drive the car, providing that you know there is nothing wrong with the car,(not always easy), it is one of the least serious of motoring offences. I have done it but would not advise anyone else to.

And if you do drive a route lined with anpr stuff, you will be picked up;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Validity of tax and insurance are completely unaffected by lack of MOT although if the car gets involved in a total loss claim they could well reduce the payout as obviously a car without an MOT is worth less than one with.

As for the ANPR & MOT, I don’t know for sure but I do know that mine ran out last August and I didn’t realise until I tried to re-tax it in January. During that time I made multiple journeys up & down the M4 & M1, drove into & through central London at least 10 times and took it across the Channel twice.

During those I must have passed ANPR but didn’t get pulled. Whether ANPR doesn’t do MOT or whether they don’t bother for such a minor offence I don’t know.
  • markandkate
    Options
    If you are on the road illegally then your insurance is invalid
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    Options
    If you are on the road illegally then your insurance is invalid

Nope, completely wrong, do a search on this site as this has been covered multiple times already
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    I also inadvertantly failed to MOT my car and ran my car for about 1 month without one. When I realised I had the car MOT'd and then phoned my insurance company to check if I had been covered. They assured me that I had been.
    Something Really Interesting
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    Options
    Some Insurers do specify that a MOT is a condition of cover. Generally it's only a handful of Insurers that do. Whether they can defend themselves through a FOS complaint is another matter, especially if the theft or accident had no bearing on any MOT item and the car was in good condition.

So generally, no MOT does NOT invalidate your insurance.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport