Jsa and High blood pressure

Options
I just found out today I have very high blood pressure. I will be booking an appoitment with my doctors on Monday.Blood pressure does run in my family, as my sister and brother have both have it, also I was prescribed propranolol back in 2008 for anxiety,they did work but I dont take them any more.I was working at the time. Maybe I should ask to go back on them, as I do find i am feeling depressed alot, I am claiming JSA in come based and HB and CTC, live alone etc. I am concerned about the blood pressure as I know I will have to go on to medication so it can be controlled.

Do I have to tell the Jobcente if I am on any medication ?

I know on the jobseekers agreement you have to be fit to be seeking work, but what with high blood pressure and feeling depressed I dont feel right and it does worry me.

Any advise.

Sorry if i sound bleak at the moment but its on my mind tonight.

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you dont have to inform them of any medication your on but you DO have to tell them if your no longer looking and able for work.
  • bitsandpieces
    bitsandpieces Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No need to panic about the jobcentre: as long as you're actively seeking work and fit to do some kinds of work, you can continue claiming jobseeker's allowance. If your doctor tells you that you are unfit to work, there are other benefits you can claim - so you don't need to worry about being left penniless - but loads of people with high blood pressure work.

Making an appointment to see your GP sounds like a good idea. You should discuss your feelings of depression with them, as well as your high blood pressure. They may well prescribe some medication. Also, some of the non-medication things which can help lower blood pressure - e.g. exercise and meditation - may also help with feelings of depression (though given your blood pressure, please don't take up any strenuous exercise before discussing it with your doctor :eek:) Don't panic about the Jobcentre - they're not going to want to 'punish' you for being ill, and the main thing is to make sure that you get your health sorted.

By the way, how did you learn about your blood pressure? Did the person doing the test make any suggestions?
  • marydot
    marydot Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, yes i am still looking for a job as i really need to find work.

But what if my doctor says i am unfit for work,do I need to do sign off JSA and apply for another benefit.

Any benefits experts here tonight ?
  • marydot
    marydot Posts: 183 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2010 at 3:01AM
    Options
    Thank you bitsandpieces, I posted before I saw your reply, yes my sister brought a blood pressure monitor today and ours reading were very high.
    we have a history of high blood pressure and strokes in our family, so its best to go see the doctor as soon as possible. Im not over weight and i do excerise by walking alot.

Maybe iam panicking abit, which i know I should not do.

I will keep you updated.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    If the Dr says you are unfit to work, you can apply for ESA (Employment Support Allowance) which is the replacement for Incapacity Benefit.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    However, I think it very unlikely that you would be able to claim ESA for high blood pressure, particularly as it's so easily controlled by medication.
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    I have high blood pressure as do millions of others. The Doctor will give pills to control it. It does not make you unfit for work.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I must agree, I have had high blood pressure for years and although i am now retired, I did work whilst I had it, it is easily controlled with medication. :) In fact as long as I am on the medication my bp is normal.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    marydot wrote: »
    Thank you bitsandpieces, I posted before I saw your reply, yes my sister brought a blood pressure monitor today and ours reading were very high.
    we have a history of high blood pressure and strokes in our family, so its best to go see the doctor as soon as possible. Im not over weight and i do excerise by walking alot.

Maybe iam panicking abit, which i know I should not do.

I will keep you updated.

Not sure if this machines are a good thing or not. I have a relative who is paraniod about checking his a couple of times a day and gets very aggitated if he forgets which in turn no doubt increases his blood pressure. I wonder what a GP's opinion would be about people having/using these machines
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    When I was leaving the UK to come and live in Spain, my GP was monitoring my bp and I was actually not on medication at the time as I wanted to see if it would stay down without it. MY GP advised me to get one of these machines to take to Spain with me to monitor it myself, he said if it appeared to go high to make a chart for a couple of weeks and if it remained raised to see a Dr in Spain. I had to check it twice a day if it was raised, but only about once a week if it was normal..

This I did and am now back on the tablets, after a couple of years without them.

I do agree there is no point in getting panicky about it, if they are worried they should see the Dr.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure