Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Paul_R
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:20 PM
    I did this for a pal last year with an old white home hub from BT, no problems but I had to upgrade the firmware as it was totally flakey (no access to settings permitted). Check model number on Google and look for firmware version.

It worked great. Well, as great as 802.11g can be, which is a bit slow compared to modern stuff.

Do not throw away your old stuff, it can be used to still get you connected when the chips are down.
  • INT1
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:35 PM
    Thanks, is it easy to re programme the settings, just a case of going in to the admin menu 192.168.2 ... etc etc
    And getting the settings off tiscali and putting them in to there?
  • Paul_R
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:45 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:45 PM
    Yes, it's easy once you get in, just like any other router. Seems to work OK, I think that the settings were written underneath on a sticker. Check the version info though, I'm sure it needs to be upgraded somehow.
    • Lil306
    • By Lil306 8th Mar 10, 10:46 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Lil306
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 10:46 PM
    Yes,

I don't see any reason why you can't use Tiscali on BT. I use my BT account on my Belkin because quite frankly I hate BT doing anything with my internet through their remote logins to the routers

Details you will probably need
    - MAC Code.... not 100% sure on this, it's used for when your changing providers....
    - ADSL Details (username and password)
    - Connection Options (Virtual Circuit 35/38, etc) type of connection (probably PPPoA)

Please feel free to add on or correct anything I've put in peoples.
    Total Debts
    HSBC Loan #1 : £6,311.50 / HSBC Loan #2 : £1,395.52
    HSBC : £3,877.21 / Vanquis : £2,200.52
    Capital One : £1,082.75 Barclaycard : £2,056.69
    Total DEBT : ~ £15,528.67 - - - OUCH!
    • JasX
    • By JasX 9th Mar 10, 6:32 AM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JasX
    • 9th Mar 10, 6:32 AM
    • 9th Mar 10, 6:32 AM
    - MAC Code.... not 100% sure on this, it's used for when your changing providers....
    Originally posted by Lil306
    No thats irrelevant in this case

the connection settings you'll find on your ISPs website
  • INT1
    • 9th Mar 10, 9:10 AM
    • 9th Mar 10, 9:10 AM
    Ok thanks, It looks like I will have to do something with the firmware, but should get the ISP settings off the website or will give them a call.

Belkin routers seem to be £45 upwards! They must manopolise the market now!
  • Paul_R
    • 9th Mar 10, 6:24 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 6:24 PM
    You need your connection settings which should have been sent to you like your login and password when you originally connected. Your login would normally have your phone number involved in it, the password will probably be a jumble of numbers and letters. Programme these settings into the router and it should connect automatically. For people who lose their connection settings, you can normally find these on your ISP website when logged in. Bit pointless as you really need these to connect! Write them down when you find them.

I use Belkin and Billion routers amongst others. I am on such a low connection speed, there is not much to choose between them other than the Belkin is N+ so WiFi can be a bit faster. I have used Zoom, 5 yr warrantee but I needed it. The older Linksys routers I've used tend to run hot power supplies and units.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

4,661Users online

Martin's Twitter