Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Would moving a Miele washing machine damage floor... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Would moving a Miele washing machine damage flooring?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,756
# 1
madget
Old 23-02-2010, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Would moving a Miele washing machine damage flooring?

We've just ordered our new kitchen and are choosing new appliances. I see from this forum and many others that Miele have got a really good reputation, and we can afford one of their lower priced models (probably the Prestige Plus 6 or the W1613).

However, I am worried about the weight of the machines as I understand that they're about 93kg! We'll be having Karndean wood-effect vinyl planks for our flooring and I'm concerned that moving the Miele may well damage the Karndean.

The Miele customer services lady told me that once installed, the washing machine wouldn't be moved unless it required a repair, but it will be installed in our utility room where cat litter can get kicked under there so I'd ideally like to be able to clean behind it maybe once a year or so. It's surprising how gunky floors can get underneath washing machines. Also, we'd probably have to install it ourselves, which would involve moving it into place.

Does anyone have any experience with moving Miele washing machines, please? And if so, did it damage your floor (especially vinyl floors like Karndean)? Do you take it out occasionally to clean behind it?

Thanks for any help and advice you might be able to give me.

If the Miele doesn't work out, I have a Siemens in mind - it's a bit less expensive, but has a much larger drum (8kg as opposed to 6kg) and more features than the Miele. Both have 5 year guarantees.
# 2
wallbash
Old 23-02-2010, 8:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I have vinyl, but also worried about damage when I move the heavy washing machine. So I have got into the habit of raising the front up and slipping a blanket underneath , then pulling/sliding machine out .
Its the back rollers that get seized that cause the problems, stop them touching the floor .

Ps yes I know that makes an easy job difficult but even vinyl is expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallbash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
WestonDave
Old 23-02-2010, 8:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

One thing I've done a couple of times where I've had to move a washing machine in and out, is to run a line of Duck tape along where the runners should go, and then "lubricate" that with some washing up liquid. They slide in nicely like that, and if you have to pull them out, the tape protects the floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to WestonDave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
wallbash
Old 23-02-2010, 8:25 PM

Thats a great tip .
My only problem , being a 9 stone weakling , its more of a 'wriggle than a straightforward pull.
# 5
becs
Old 23-02-2010, 8:46 PM

I think any washing machine would damage the flooring regardless of make, they're all heavy! you can get sliders like the ones below, I've never used them myself so don't know how effective they are or whether they would damage the floor.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Slide-Glides-TEFLON---Move-Heavy-Appliances-EASY!_W0QQitemZ310198083513QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20 100202?IMSfp=TL100202198002r3388
The Following User Says Thank You to becs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks to you all for your help! Trouble is, the Miele doesn't have casters, making it even more difficult to move - yikes! I'd definitely try the duct tape and washing up liquid approach and may be able to adapt wallbash's suggestion (I think a blanket would make moving the very heavy Miele more difficult, so perhaps something with a bit more "slip" might help), and becs' solution could well be worth a go.

Just wondering, am I weird in wanting to clean out behind my washing machine every so often? The customer services lady seemed very surprised that I would do that.
# 7
WestonDave
Old 24-02-2010, 10:27 AM

The other thing I might suggest is that if the main problem is stuff getting stuck under it, maybe you can create some kind of kick board type arrangement which has a piece of wood running across the front, held in place either by magnetic fixings or other similar catches.

Alternatively cutting a plank of wood (then seal it in white gloss paint) to size that slides under the front and fills the gap - you'd have to "mould" it round the feet etc on the bottom, but this again could stop things sliding under and reduce the need to clean under it.

Without knowing exactly how the plans look and what dimensions you have its hard to advise but I'd be looking to do something lateral to avoid the problem if you can. I know what you mean with dry cat food - they spread it everywhere!
The Following User Says Thank You to WestonDave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 11:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks again, WestonDave.

One of my cats in particular likes to kick most of the litter out of his tray each time he uses it. Also, my other cat has a tendency to stand in the litter tray and wee/poo over the side! I've been looking for solutions and found some fantastic-looking high-sided litter trays by Rubbermaid. Unfortunately, they're not available in the UK, so I've ordered them from the US. Hopefully, that will cut down on bits of cat litter underneath the machine. I've also bought a couple of heavy rubber, ribbed mats to go in front of the trays to trap any litter before it gets trodden around.

As for the machine, there's a gap either side, as well as underneath. The magnetic fixing idea sounds really good, so I could remove them if ever I need to access the back of the washer. Perhaps the kitchen people could make me something as they're supposed to be pretty good at problem solving.
# 9
Ionkontrol
Old 24-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Argos – Appliance rollers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ionkontrol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, Ionkontrol. They may be worth a shot. I've bookmarked them.
# 11
twinklyrach
Old 24-02-2010, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've got a Prestige Plus and honestly, it didn't mark the floor (which was cheapy Homebase value vinyl tiles at the time).
The Following User Says Thank You to twinklyrach For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
ic
Old 24-02-2010, 1:57 PM

I always cut long strips of cardboard, lift the front slide under, tip to each side a little and in order to push them under the back feet. The machine should then just slide out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, twinklyrach.

You know, the daft thing is that the vinyl floor tiles we have at the moment are crappy ones installed in our new-build home that have lasted us for 15 years. We've dragged all kinds of heavy stuff (although not as heavy as the Miele washing machine) across them without a single scratch or tear to show for it.

I've heard that Karndean can scratch, though. So it's really our own fault for wanting fancy flooring! ;-)

Do you take your Prestige Plus out every now and again for cleaning behind it?
# 14
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 2:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, ic. Another good idea!
# 15
Steve the fitter
Old 24-02-2010, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Miele washing maching you say?? Kardean floor??? youse name dropper you.lol
# 16
madget
Old 24-02-2010, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve the fitter View Post
Miele washing maching you say?? Kardean floor??? youse name dropper you.lol

I know! Shameless, aren't I!

Makes a bit of a change from my old 15 year old bog-standard, no-name vinyl and Ariston machine. I haven't half gone posh! I'll be too good to speak to anyone before long at this rate.

(I just hope I won't be terrified to use them. I chickened out of Silestone and went for melamine because I thought I'd faint if anyone went near the expensive stuff!)
# 17
Steve the fitter
Old 24-02-2010, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

well if youve got it flaunt it lol.

Hope you enjoy you new kitchen with a Miele w/m and Kardean floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madget View Post

I know! Shameless, aren't I!

Makes a bit of a change from my old 15 year old bog-standard, no-name vinyl and Ariston machine. I haven't half gone posh! I'll be too good to speak to anyone before long at this rate.

(I just hope I won't be terrified to use them. I chickened out of Silestone and went for melamine because I thought I'd faint if anyone went near the expensive stuff!)
# 18
sharkie
Old 24-02-2010, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It definately damages lino!!! Whenever i try to move the heavy beast, my lino always rips - usually the lino at the back of the machine.

If you have cussioned lino, then it sinks in

becs, untll you have handled a a miele, you do not know what a heavy washing machine is
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
aliasojo
Old 24-02-2010, 9:39 PM

We got a good tip from a joiner once, he said to get a piece of hardboard to sit the machine on, (doesn't have to be thick and you don't see it once the machine is in place)) and keep a second piece in a cupboard or shed. Then when you want to pull the machine out, you just put the second piece on the floor in front of the machine and slide it out with no damage to the floor.
Herman - MP for all!
The Following User Says Thank You to aliasojo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Stompa
Old 24-02-2010, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionkontrol View Post
Argos Appliance rollers
FWIW about 15 years ago we used to have some that looked pretty much identical to those. They did a reasonable job, you just had to be a bit careful when you moved the appliance that it didn't slip off the rollers. I suppose the other (inevitable) disadvantage is that you end up with a bigger gap at the bottom so gunk can get underneath more easily.
Stompa
The Following User Says Thank You to Stompa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread