IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private parking ticket from PPS LTD

Options
I got a ticket from PPS ltd in a shopping area. It was snowing, I quickly looked at the parking notice board and saw "first 90 mins free". As I was just popping into a shop for about 15 mins I thought I would be ok. I didn't see that you still had to get a ticket from the machine. Ended up with a ticket asking for £100. They are hounding me now for £130 and threatening court action in the next few days. What should I do?

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just ignore them and don't contact them. You do not owe them a penny. They may well threaten court action but that's a hollow threat .

All they can claim for is the actual loss they have suffered. As this was a free car-park you owe them nothing.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    rudikrol wrote: »
    I got a ticket from PPS ltd in a shopping area. It was snowing, I quickly looked at the parking notice board and saw "first 90 mins free". As I was just popping into a shop for about 15 mins I thought I would be ok. I didn't see that you still had to get a ticket from the machine. Ended up with a ticket asking for £100. They are hounding me now for £130 and threatening court action in the next few days. What should I do?

Ignore them and all the letters, which will stop. You owe them nothing, not even an explanation nor an appeal. They would refuse any appeal - they always do - and would probably send you more letters as they would know they are reaching a 'real person' who is worried... (just what they want).

Read as many of these threads as it takes to make your eyes glaze over. Then you should understand the scam of private parking tickets and KNOW it's OK to ignore it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=163

The first thread shows you what letters to expect, do click on each link and study the letters, see what happens in the end (nothing). Another sticky thread near the top also tells you about private parking tickets, then most of the individual threads are about private parking tickets. It's a very very common rip-off, don't be a victim.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore it. In the unlikely event of it ending up in court, the judge would look at the cahrge of £130 for 15 minute parking in a free car park, laugh himself silly, and throw the claim out as a penalty and not an acurate reflection of costs or losses.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What should I do?

Reading the stickies and 50,000 other posts on the EXACT same topic before wasting your time (and ours) with another soppy thread would be a good start.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Take the advice on posts 2,3,4 as they are the accepted method. Ignore the tone of post 5, I think the late hour had an effect.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And whatever you do, OP, don't ever come back to this thread and thank anyone for their advice, good or bad......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure